Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Delivered today. Official 50th Anniversary coffee table book.
With my Immersion set, Their Mortal Remains V&A catalog book, I'm good for now.

https://a.co/d/5cWXmiu
Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 5.15.50 PM.png
x

IMG_8748.jpeg

IMG_8747.jpeg

IMG_8746.jpeg

I don’t have Atmos and can’t justify it living with my parents but from what I’m hearing it’s making me want to get an Atmos setup just to hear this singular Atmos mix in all its glory.

Part of me wishes Guthrie did a new dedicated 5.1 mix and why not a stereo remix? Maybe that original mix is kind of like sacred ground though you know?

Bring on the Wall in Atmos/5.1! My surround wet dream. I’d welcome a new stereo mix too.

I dunno, I’m kind of surprised at all the raves this is getting both here and at SHF. There are certainly some stellar moments (“On The Run” in particular being a standout), but reserving the top speakers for bits of spoken word and other sound effects feels like the safest possible use of this technology.

The ground-level soundstage is still kind of diffuse with most of the instrumentation hovering between the front and rear speakers (the sides and center aren’t really used). Plus I kinda miss those few passages where the center channel was used aggressively in the old 5.1 mix, like the sax intro to “Us & Them”.

I agree it’s a more interesting listening experience than the old 5.1 SACD (though the high-end seems a bit recessed in comparison, as others have noted), but I don’t find it as engaging as the Parsons quad mix or even the 5.1 Animals.

First listen: it was a summary/scan listen of some of the subtle and some of the bombastic portions of the album. I listened then, to the 5.1 mix. Anyway, I very much prefer the dreamy immersive mix of the Atmos to the stark immediacy of the 5.1 mix. And by dreamy I think I mean much less digital, more analog-sounding, maybe even slightly rolled off for the better. By immersive I mean the distribution of sounds is much more inclusive to the listener, with lots of great effects having more real estate within the dome, whether that be horizontally or vertically, but mostly both. Also, the Atmos version may even be a db or two light on LFE, but the balance of sound is very very good, regardless.

Yes, the cash register effect at the beginning of Money is interesting. In the 5.1 it begins in the center channel then ping-pongs to the other four bed speakers. In the Atmos version it starts in surround left and then proceeds to ping-pong to surround right and the two main fronts, no center, no return to surround left. Also, in the Atmos version none of those effects bleed upwards. No big deal, maybe they shouldn't (coin is heavy?). But if that's the only complaint (and it's really not one) then so be it. Overall, a great experience. :)

I have now listened to the bluray Atmos and 5.1 mixes, and the Apple stream (again). The stream is a bit compressed (doh!) and that is unfortunate, as I think the "dreamy immersive" quality of the TrueHD does not hold up when streamed..it's too rolled off for my taste.
I’m finding it the same. If one has an Apple computer it can be set to 24/96 and download, just not on the Apple TV or iPad.

I have now listened to the bluray Atmos and 5.1 mixes, and the Apple stream (again). The stream is a bit compressed (doh!) and that is unfortunate, as I think the "dreamy immersive" quality of the TrueHD does not hold up when streamed..it's too rolled off for my taste.
I was under the impression Apple's Atmos is E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital+) and not THD/MLPa (TrueHD)?

I dunno, I’m kind of surprised at all the raves this is getting both here and at SHF. There are certainly some stellar moments (“On The Run” in particular being a standout), but reserving the top speakers for bits of spoken word and other sound effects feels like the safest possible use of this technology.

The ground-level soundstage is still kind of diffuse with most of the instrumentation hovering between the front and rear speakers (the sides and center aren’t really used). Plus I kinda miss those few passages where the center channel was used aggressively in the old 5.1 mix, like the sax intro to “Us & Them”.

I agree it’s a more interesting listening experience than the old 5.1 SACD (though the high-end seems a bit recessed in comparison, as others have noted), but I don’t find it as engaging as the Parsons quad mix or even the 5.1 Animals.
not wanting to put das boot in, weirdly, the label/PF/Apple (whoever?) went with previewing a track on Apple Music ("Great Gig..") that makes the least (or rather worst?) use of Atmos and so i was pleasantly surprised by some of the other tracks that are somewhat more adventurous in their use of the Surrounds and Heights. still, veering on "7"/"8"-ish territory at the moment and mostly because it's "Dark Side Of The Moon".. but i can't help thinking such a Classic album, to many a masterwork, deserved better. i mean, barely anything Atmossy happens at all in "Great Gig In The Sky", if you were ever going to do a 'voice of God' style mix and be justified for having lots of content emanate from up there, surely that's gotta be one of those tracks that should be a standout in Atmos!? ah, i dunno either..! 🤷🏻‍♀️

Perhaps due to additional age on the multitrack tapes, if they were freshly transferred?
yes and while it's no biggy tbh i kinda felt like a bit of a twat when it was suggested that what i might be hearing was due to the nature of lossy streaming Atmos on Apple Music. a number of us have been at this a good while and can spot the difference between lossy compression and tape damage but i would always give someone i admire the benefit of the doubt and so i deferred to Garry at that time but really i stick by my gut instinct that the tapes are somewhat compromised if not knackered.

now something i feel may be 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other (part source limitation, part mastering maybe?) is the Bass on this Atmos rendering, which to me is at times overblown, wooly and saturated.

the cleanest elements i could pick out by far were keys/synths and the spoken word stuff, almost everything else appeared to have a lack of clarity of some kind or another going on. ah, idk i need to get on with life (next, the hoovering!) 😅 🤷🏻‍♀️

I would have to assume all the multitracks were transferred to digital years ago and this Atmos mix was done off those digital multitracks? Has it been said otherwise Guthrie mixed from the original analog multis?
I thought the same thing. They wouldn’t transfer again from the precious multis unless there was a problem with the previous transfer or they have a much better A to D converter.
If the sound isn’t as bright as the 5.1 SACD, maybe in mastering they decided to go for an analog-y sound (just a guess based on what others here are describing).

After reading all of the positive comments I decided to put on DSOM Quad from the Immersion set on this morning. I checked to see how much it would cost for the Atmos on Amazon ($300 with taxes). The Quad DSOM is still fabulous and I can’t justify the price for the Atmos mix. If Pink Floyd breaks up the 50th box set I could maybe purchase a single disc Atmos mix. Not even sure about buying a single disc as the Quad is still in my top all time surround mixes along with Avalon / Bob Marley - Legend etc. Not many surround mixes are better than DSOM Quad IMHO.

Back