Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished listening to the Atmos version and then going through all the non-disc contents. I’m not an “extras” person... I can be happy with just the music. But I do think they went all out with this set in terms of content like the music score book, booklets for the stereo version and live disk, and it’s been a long time since I held a 45 in my hand. What a great nostalgia blast.

And for that reason it makes the lack of Quad inclusion that much sadder. With the Quad, you could pretty-much say it’s the definitive edition... short of sticking in a cassette and 8-track.

Admittedly, I have no clue what goes into these decisions. Maybe there was something legit that wouldn’t allow it. But from a simplistic, fan point of view, you have to ask, “Why the heck not to make this about as perfect as it could be?"

Oh yeah... MakeMKV on the Mac seems to choke on this one. (“This disc uses newer version of AACS protection.”)

Side note: I went from DSOTM Atmos to APP’s Turn of a Friendly Card 5.1. I probably shouldn’t do that. Kind of feels like an experience letdown which is almost kind of funny when any 5.1 mix is a “letdown”, not because of the music, but because you’re not as surrounded by the music.

Regarding the 5.1 Blu Ray, not the Atmos Blu Ray. I am listening now to the 5.1 Uncompressed, there also is a 5.1 DTS HD-MSTR, not sure which is supposed to be better and not sure I would be able to tell the difference?
Sonically they should be the same, in practice. They are suposed to be included for compatibility as it is done for films, as @edisonbaggins said. I think it was usual for the Blu-ray norm.

The listening differences when having a 7.1 floor speakers layout, at least with the DTS implementation in my Denon (I don't know about others) is that when DTS, the rear channels are both played by the side surrounds and the back surrounds, thus moving the rear channels sound a little back with the sound image.
While the PCM 5.1 is played as multichannel 5.1 with the side surrounds only, and if the sides ar located "at the sides" near 90º the rear sound could be more intrusive in a kind of binaural sound.

Mine delivered yesterday late afternoon. And what a box it is! Heavy and big. It was like a puzzle - the shipping box, then the factory double-boxing, then another box inside that. Then unwrapping it, there's the coffee table book, another box containing the goodies, discs, a sleeve with the Gaza pyramid artwork containing more content, another book, underneath that are the 7" LP's, then another box containing the audiophile LP's and even more which I haven't gone through yet!

The obvious 1st thing I'm going to do is intently listen to the Atmos mix :cool:
Then start perusing the goodies and look through the coffee table book and soft book.

And the nice thing is yesterday was my b-day ;)

I must say, well done Pink Floyd! The only thing missing is the quad mix but if you have the Immersion set, you're set. Expensive but other than the quad mix, this is the definitive version to have.

Yes, for sure. When I popped in the disc and started MKV on PC, it took maybe 2-3 minutes to get to the point where I could select how I wanted MKV to rip.
I’m a bit envious. I never got to a point where I could rip it. Just fails each time. The PC version must be a bit better at this than the Mac. There was a link to upload a file for the developers to examine, so I did that. I’m sure eventually they’ll work it out on the Mac version.

One question, is the 5.1 on this Blu Ray 50th edition the same mix as the Analogue Productions 5.1 which the 7" Japanese package says there version is the same as the previous 5.1.
Yes. There has only been one 5.1 mix which was done by Guthrie first appearing on SACD, then in the Immersion box, then rereleased on SACD (with new packaging) and now again on both Blu-rays included in the 50th box. The 7" Japanese release uses the same mix.

Yes. There has only been one 5.1 mix which was done by Guthrie first appearing on SACD, then in the Immersion box, then rereleased on SACD (with new packaging) and now again on both Blu-rays included in the 50th box. The 7" Japanese release uses the same mix.
Wow, so I think I have the 5.1 with the blue background pyramid, the Analogue Productions SACD and Blu ray, now this 5.1. I didn't by the Immersion with the 4.0, dag nabbit.
I am officially sick of TDOTM in 5.1.
Unless before I die, a hologram disc gets released where the band is playing in my house, in surround, no more Pink Floyd for me.

Wow, so I think I have the 5.1 with the blue background pyramid, the Analogue Productions SACD and Blu ray, now this 5.1. I didn't by the Immersion with the 4.0, dag nabbit.
Unless before I die, a hologram disc gets released where the band is playing in my house, in surround, no more Pink Floyd for me.
How about when The Wall is released in 5.1? :cool:

I am holding out for an Atmos version of “wish you were here”

Back