MoFi to release Dire Straits' "On Every Street" on SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite Straits!

Gonna be hard to beat the already exceptional sonics of the original CD master, though...
I agree, but they may get a smoother (in a good way) master. I wonder if this was a digital mix and at what bit rate? I really enjoy most of this album and listen to a couple times per year.

[ Rant / Whining Warning ] Not top of the list for most folks here but I hope MoFi uses good quality vinyl for this pressing.
Despite my best attempts over many years, finding a low noise version of this pressing has alluded me. More tragically, the Chris Bellman 2014-21 remasters and re-issues were all pressed in GZ Media in the Czech Republic. Each example is hopelessly scuffed, scratched and/or full of pops and clicks. It's like this album is cursed. Even the OGs in great physical shape are noisy <sigh> . . . take my money MoFi

Just got another email from MoFi advertising this one at $29.99, I haven't pulled the trigger yet; does anyone have the DRs read on this?
Sadly way back when I first started ripping CD's I never put any info of the release numbers in the meta data. But I know I bought this disc way back in the day when it was first available on CD. It has a great dynamic DR12.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: On Every Street / Artist: Dire Straits
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR Peak RMS Duration Title [codec]
DR12 -0.00 dB -16.11 dB 6:25 01 - Calling Elvis [flac]
DR12 -0.00 dB -20.61 dB 5:04 02 - On Every Street [flac]
DR13 -0.95 dB -16.02 dB 5:00 03 - When It Comes To You [flac]
DR11 -3.11 dB -17.65 dB 3:50 04 - Fade To Black [flac]
DR12 -0.00 dB -13.76 dB 4:16 05 - The Bug [flac]
DR12 -0.00 dB -16.66 dB 5:58 06 - You And Your Friend [flac]
DR12 -0.00 dB -13.90 dB 4:56 07 - Heavy Fuel [flac]
DR12 -0.00 dB -15.41 dB 3:08 08 - Iron Hand [flac]
DR12 -1.19 dB -14.79 dB 4:25 09 - Ticket To Heaven [flac]
DR15 -0.00 dB -17.61 dB 5:32 10 - My Parties [flac]
DR13 -0.00 dB -16.46 dB 7:48 11 - Planet Of New Orleans [flac]
DR11 -0.71 dB -14.81 dB 3:49 12 - How Long (3:49) [flac]
Number of files: 12
Official DR value: DR12

Sampling rate: 44100 Hz
Average bitrate: 800kbs
Bits per sample: 16 bit

Dr14 T.meter 1.0.16
==============================================================================================

Just got another email from MoFi advertising this one at $29.99, I haven't pulled the trigger yet; does anyone have the DRs read on this?

Pretty sure my old CD has just OK DRs. According to Dynamic Range DB, the '91 LP below has some of the best DRs (but very high price for a mint copy on discogs)-

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/153187
The Dynamic Range Database pretty much tells me it was one of the 1991 US releases.
https://dr.loudness-war.info/?artist=dire+Straits+&album=on+every+street
Looks fine to me, unless I'm not seeing it correctly. And '91 was before the real compressed dynamic range CD appeared right? I like the original CD's sound in general. And I'm really fussy about the sound on anything recorded later than 1987 or so.

Anyway, I love 90% of this album. Beautifully produced and well written songs. I didn't know that the LP was way more dynamic, but I did know it was expensive.

The Dynamic Range Database pretty much tells me it was one of the 1991 US releases.
https://dr.loudness-war.info/?artist=dire+Straits+&album=on+every+street
I believe we all know that the DRs are just one aspect of how it might sound. I'd also like to know how others feel this SACD sounds compared to some early CDs and LPs if they have those in their collection. I recently bought an LP of Prince's 3121 album; and the mastering is not crushed like the 2006 CDs, it sounds much better with tons of detail the CD could never present! So it all just depends, that's why we chat about it all here on the forum "details matter"

And I'm really fussy about the sound on anything recorded later than 1987 or so.
As am I, thankfully all of the classic rock I love is available from earlier CD masterings that don't suffer from the later loudness wars years.
The majority of new music, new masterings I'm getting comes from the multich mixing sources where such compression isn't seen.

I didn't know that the LP was way more dynamic, but I did know it was expensive.
Where do you see that, click on the link I supplied and you won't see anything on vinyl better than the DR12 on the 1991 CDs

Back