Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi folks! My name is Brendan Eder. I'm a composer and producer based in Los Angeles and I'm getting really really giddy about mixing my latest album in 5.1.

I'm an WAY DOWN for your suggestions or ideas on mixing my album, Therapy, in 5.1.
I would resist the urge of moving parts all around, they are the old tunnel plunging mandatory scene in old 3D movies.
Find and built your space, then consider musical reasons to alter it (dynamic build up and realease, moving spectrum related part out of the way of each other, etc.)
We hope to hear about this.
How do you consider multichannel release ?

Hi Everyone, Another new member here. I found this forum when I read about the Ten Years After release of, "A Space In Time". Now I'm hooked. Although, not the same as in person, still cool to read peoples thoughts who are not paid for reviews. BTW, I'm from Connecticut and miss the heyday of Brass City Records, in case anyone here ever heard of it.
Thanks
Steve

Hi Everyone, Another new member here. I found this forum when I read about the Ten Years After release of, "A Space In Time". Now I'm hooked. Although, not the same as in person, still cool to read peoples thoughts who are not paid for reviews. BTW, I'm from Connecticut and miss the heyday of Brass City Records, in case anyone here ever heard of it.
Thanks
Steve
Welcome aboard. This is a fine place with fine helping people.

Thanks
Steve
Glad to see another new member. I’m sure you’ll find a discussion of just about every piece of music recorded, especially if it’s more than two-channel. But a lot if that, too.

Hi there everyone! Thanks for having me, a new member here from S. California. Just recently, picked up a Sansui QRX-6500 and an Akai GX-280D-SS. Went down the rabbit hole of quadrophonic after my first listening experience. It was magical and different, nothing I have experienced before. I've just started my adventure and looking to learn all I can from everyone here.

Hi there everyone! Thanks for having me, a new member here from S. California. Just recently, picked up a Sansui QRX-6500 and an Akai GX-280D-SS. Went down the rabbit hole of quadrophonic after my first listening experience. It was magical and different, nothing I have experienced before. I've just started my adventure and looking to learn all I can from everyone here.
I found that rabbit hole about fifty years ago, and still haven’t reached the bottom. Welcome aboard, and hang on to your wallet!

Welcome! You may want to consider getting a second job!

Well, most of us QQ'ers here would say to give us a nice discrete mix in a lossless format! As long as all the speakers get an ample and appropriate workout (for the material), any mixing decision flies!
Awesome. I will likely share some working mixes soon to see what folks think. I'm wondering what format is best. I ended up going with Dolby Atmos, so do you think I should share folded down 5.1 and 7.1 files?

Awesome. I will likely share some working mixes soon to see what folks think. I'm wondering what format is best. I ended up going with Dolby Atmos, so do you think I should share folded down 5.1 and 7.1 files?
Actually, just hit us up with MKV/MKA files containing the Atmos stream in TrueHD. Most of our receivers will play in Atmos, and those that won't will automatically downmix to 5.1 and 7.1 just fine.

Thanks
Steve

Hey Steve, another CT guy here. I remember Brass City Records fondly and still greatly miss its owner, Walter.

Hello Everyone

New member from Ontario, Canada here. I'm a long time lurker that has used this site as a reference for Many years, and figured it was time to join.

I started with quad in the mid 70s. First receiver was a Rotel which had QS, SQ and discrete modes. But that was long ago. Lots of different setups since then.

I am now completely digital. Sold off all vinyl (mainly 70s stuff), some years back. I upgraded my setup to 9.1 last year to allow for Atmos. The processor is an MX122, and fed by either an Oppo 203 or 93 depending on the source, with full range Tannoy's all around, (all of which took some years to accumulate). Started purchasing DVD-A and SACDs back in the mid 2000s.

Also drive a 2015 Acura RDX, with a factory surround system that supports DVD-A and DTS. Usually convert the files to DTS and play them from a USB stick. I can't remember the last time I actually had a disc in the car. :)

My taste is primarily Rock and Pop, and I have used your polls and reviews to determine what I will get next.

I'd like to say thanks for all the contributions everyone makes. This is a really great site. :)

Hello Everyone

New member from Ontario, Canada here. I'm a long time lurker that has used this site as a reference for Many years, and figured it was time to join.

I started with quad in the mid 70s. First receiver was a Rotel which had QS, SQ and discrete modes. But that was long ago. Lots of different setups since then.

I am now completely digital. Sold off all vinyl (mainly 70s stuff), some years back. I upgraded my setup to 9.1 last year to allow for Atmos. The processor is an MX122, and fed by either an Oppo 203 or 93 depending on the source, with full range Tannoy's all around, (all of which took some years to accumulate). Started purchasing DVD-A and SACDs back in the mid 2000s.

Also drive a 2015 Acura RDX, with a factory surround system that supports DVD-A and DTS. Usually convert the files to DTS and play them from a USB stick. I can't remember the last time I actually had a disc in the car. :)

My taste is primarily Rock and Pop, and I have used your polls and reviews to determine what I will get next.

I'd like to say thanks for all the contributions everyone makes. This is a really great site. :)
Glad ya made it in @chinera123! Lots of your fellow Canadians here, as you're probably aware of.

As to your Vinyl, did you manage to make digital conversions of them?

Glad ya made it in @chinera123! Lots of your fellow Canadians here, as you're probably aware of.

As to your Vinyl, did you manage to make digital conversions of them?
Thanks J Pupster. As for the vinyl, I didn't, as I had already replaced most with digital versions, mostly early 80s CDs. And yes, there's a trade-off there, but I'll leave it at that. :)

Hi,
i remembered my fathers dream of an quadraphonic setup back in the late 70s, when a few years ago we bought our first AVR (first 4.0, now 5.0) - for watching films.
Since then i buy old Vinyls, rip some of them and transcode them...
Or i buy some of these MCH things, i can afford... Dutton Vocalion ;-)
Since this year i use my way to play all these Quadrophonic Beauties from Tidals 360RA in my living room - when my wife is not at home...
Sometimes i feel too old to understand why our beloved publishers publish e.g. Bridge over troubles waters as 360RA (nearly no one can hear it in his living room this way...) but not on SA-CD like these Santanas!

Hi,
i remembered my fathers dream of an quadraphonic setup back in the late 70s, when a few years ago we bought our first AVR (first 4.0, now 5.0) - for watching films.
Since then i buy old Vinyls, rip some of them and transcode them...
Or i buy some of these MCH things, i can afford... Dutton Vocalion ;-)
Since this year i use my way to play all these Quadrophonic Beauties from Tidals 360RA in my living room - when my wife is not at home...
Sometimes i feel too old to understand why our beloved publishers publish e.g. Bridge over troubles waters as 360RA (nearly no one can hear it in his living room this way...) but not on SA-CD like these Santanas!
Welcome aboard! To be sure, a lot of those corporate decisions are difficult to understand. I see old quad recordings rereleased as complete messups fairly often. But when it works, it really works!

Welcome aboard! To be sure, a lot of those corporate decisions are difficult to understand. I see old quad recordings rereleased as complete messups fairly often. But when it works, it really works!
it seems to me, that those releases from sony/cbs are all real 4-channel quads (360ra decoded as 5.1 has only signal on fl-fr-rl-rr). for example the elvis - aloha from hawaii - i have the 5.1 mch-dvd... but on tidal it seems to me the cd-4 quad - i like it a lot more.
i never had the equipment to play q8 or decode cd-4, only sq/qs. Therefore i am happy to be able to hear those titles, who never made it to the digital world in another way. and "real" quad is much better than my sq-decodes (like bridge over troubled water).
(and it is surprisingly good enough for my ears, although 48/24 and "compressed" - i am now old enough nearly not to be able to hear the difference between lossless and lossy)

thanks for the warm welcome! i read a lot here for a long time, mostly to find some cool quad things, so i thought it would be nice to be "visible".

Back