What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sam Rivers - Crystals QS LP
https://www.discogs.com/release/1148876-Sam-Rivers-Crystals
*I'm going to call this one the: "Waiting on Frank - Jazz Session on LSD"
Sort of like the Benny Goodman song, Waiting on Benny; where the Frank Zappa horn & percussion sections are without its band leader and are free flowing on LSD crystals 😵‍💫

View attachment 90146
View attachment 90147
How are the quad effects on this one? I believe I read somewhere that this one was "simulated quad".

How are the quad effects on this one? I believe I read somewhere that this one was "simulated quad".
Where did you read that?

I've always felt that a lot of these 'abc Impulse' titles were Matrix mixed poorly (not real discrete) anyways. But here's a small sample of song NO. 2 down res'd. to 16x44.1 to check out. This is one of the mellower grooves on the album, didn't want to throw you some ☢️

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 02 - SRC QUAD.wav
    10.1 MB
Hi. All

Just catching up on my acquisitions been veeeery Bizzy cleaning boxes of my Quad LPs since Christmas, and the LPs on the shelves in the man cave are to do as well so a few more months to goooo. BBQ...

( Vanguard. SQ VSQ 3004-1/2/3/ -Handel Soloman :Factory Sealed Box set of 3 )-
( Vanguard. SQ VSQ 30037/38/39 -J.S.Bach in B Minnor :Factory Sealed Box set of 3 )-
( Columia Sony. SQ M34570 -Puccini Iltabapro :Factory Sealed Box set )-
( Yung Feng. SQ LF-2571 2580 -Chinese Classical Music Best of 10 :Box set of 10 LPs )-
( CBS Sony. SQ SOL J26 -Yuri Nishimura Electon Fantastic Songs of Love )-
( Ovation. QS OPL-3007 -Bobby Chritian Vibe-brations )-
( Toho Records. QS AX-2021 -Lets Dance with Hit Kay Exciting Drum Go Go )-

IMG_20230403_130553.jpg

IMG_20220928_174646.jpg

IMG_20220928_174710.jpg

IMG_20220928_174734.jpg

IMG_20220928_174747.jpg

IMG_20230401_121027.jpg

IMG_20230401_121114.jpg

IMG_20230401_121238.jpg

IMG_20230401_122737c.jpg
IMG_20230401_123831.jpg

IMG_20230401_123817.jpg

IMG_20230401_123947.jpg
IMG_20230401_124102.jpg

Last edited:
Sam Rivers - Crystals QS LP
https://www.discogs.com/release/1148876-Sam-Rivers-Crystals
*I'm going to call this one the: "Waiting on Frank - Jazz Session on LSD"
Sort of like the Benny Goodman song, Waiting on Benny; where the Frank Zappa horn & percussion sections are without its band leader and are free flowing on LSD crystals 😵‍💫

View attachment 90146
View attachment 90147
just the jacket gives me a headache, i can't begin to imagine what a nightmare the musical contents may be.. 😒😫🤣

edit: just previewed it on Apple Music.. skipping through there may be 1 or 2 more bearable passages if i stuck with it but most tracks made me want to drive over his saxophone with a steamroller 🤬

Last edited:
Where did you read that?

I've always felt that a lot of these 'abc Impulse' titles were Matrix mixed poorly (not real discrete) anyways. But here's a small sample of song NO. 2 down res'd. to 16x44.1 to check out. This is one of the mellower grooves on the album, didn't want to throw you some ☢️

Let me know what you think.
i had to throw in the towel on the Impulse Quads, several i picked up were barely Quad and many seemed fake altogether, which was a shame as musically not all were of the "infernal racket" category of that Sam Rivers LP 😒

i had to throw in the towel on the Impulse Quads, several i picked up were barely Quad and many seemed fake altogether, which was a shame as musically not all were of the "infernal racket" category of that Sam Rivers LP 😒
There are a couple of John Coltrane’s like that also… let’s just play as fast and crazy as we can, just to be different kind of stuff

I believe I’ve thrown in the towel also on the Pye label stuff for the same reason Freddie 🤨

I believe I’ve thrown in the towel also on the Pye label stuff for the same reason Freddie 🤨
oh wow, really Mister Pupster!? 😱 i used to love some of those Pye records! it's been a few years, so i'll give 'em another airing and see how they stand up nowadays 🧐 maybe they're not that Quaddy.. or i may have been new-fangled with the Surround Master at the time. or drunk. or both! i mean, all 3..!! 🥳👀😋😂

oh wow, really Mister Pupster!? 😱 i used to love some of those Pye records! it's been a few years, so i'll give 'em another airing and see how they stand up nowadays 🧐 maybe they're not that Quaddy.. or i may have been new-fangled with the Surround Master at the time. or drunk. or both! i mean, all 3..!! 🥳👀😋😂
If you find a really good Pye, you let me know; for now I’ll just stick to 🥧

Funny you fellas should have Pye on your mind. I've recently added these to my collection. Those Japanese pressings are absolutely gorgeous complete with gatefold and beautiful records! The second Stapleton album is a UK pressing.

I'm still missing a few.

Pye 01.jpg

John Schroeder & Sounds Orchestral - You've Got A Friend (with a big typo on the cover - Jone instead of John). The Stereo version is credited only to Sounds Orchestral.

Tony Hatch And His Orchestra - What The World Needs Now !
I'm a huge fan of Bacharach/David and Tony Hatch so this album is perfect for me. Beautifully recorded with lush arrangements.

Cyril Stapleton And His Orchestra Play Themes From 'Ryan's Daughter' 'Love Story' And Other Hits'

Cyril Stapleton & His Orchestra - Great Film And Television Themes

Last edited:
View attachment 90217

Johnny Mathis - Love Story
I love the Jonny Mathis Quads and this is the only one I think that was not released on Q8.
Lovely Japanese pressing

Andy Williams - You've Got A Friend
Here's one I've not be able to buy a Q8 of so this Gatefold Japanese pressing is the next best thing.

Andy Williams – An Evening With Andy Williams - Recorded Live In Japan 1973
Japan only release 2 LP set with booklet.
not only was the Quad of Johnny Mathis' "Love Story" not released on Q8, it was only released on SQ LP in Japan, it had no U.S. Quad release at all! 🤩

Hi. All

Just catching up on my acquisitions been veeeery Bizzy cleaning boxes of my Quad LPs since Christmas, and the LPs on the shelves in the man cave are to do as well so a few more months to goooo. BBQ...

( Vanguard. SQ VSQ 3004-1/2/3/ -Handel Soloman :Factory Sealed Box set of 3 )-

View attachment 90186
Justino Díaz used to come to our house on the beach to party back in the late 70s/early 80s...as did a very young Benicio del Toro...LOL! (not kidding!)

Excited to see this one's arrived from Germany (SQ IIRC) :LB

View attachment 90576
I would have expected this to be QS, since Toshiba released most pop music, including western pop, in that format. Since they referred to "quadro", this might have been prepared for the European market. If that's the case, I can see them using SQ.

Back