MMH - New Atmos Decoder (beta) discussion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loaded your CUE file and it shows 12 tracks. I then clicked 'SPLIT' and it creates 12 flac files.

Well, I am a bit perplexed. I edited this cue file for FLAC purposes and when I input the cue into the Join or Split Audio tab of MMH, I correctly get all 12 files appearing. However, when I then load the FLAC album in the lower portion of the dialog, it erases the 12 tracks of the cue on the screen and instead shows that it will split the FLAC album into 10 files, not 12.

Do not load any files. Just use 'Add Cue', then 'Split' will do the splitting of the file named in your loaded cue.

@HomerJAU , first of all my congratulations for the tool. "Chapeau".
Do you plan to manage something similar for windows to be able to work with DTS-X, in the style of DTS:X Encoder Suite?

If this is not the right thread for the query, I apologize.

This is an awesome tool and very useful for me, as I have a 5.1 soundbar in a fairly small apartment with my couch against the wall, and I would like to add some height speakers. It will be nice not to have to use Dolby Reference Player for playback, as it sucks for video. I was using VoidXH's Cavernize to render, but that works only for DD+ and not TrueHD, and it doesn't follow DRC and clips occasionally. I'm also planning to do some analysis of Atmos tracks.

I am using DAH 7.0.0, and I have a few questions/issues:

1. Could there or will there be a function to create a new ADM that preserves object metadata, so that it can be loaded into Dolby Atmos Renderer or a compatible DAW like Nuendo for visualization? Cavernize has his feature, but it works only with E-AC-3 and not TrueHD.

2. Exporting mono wavs doesn't work (I always get interleaved wavs)

3. The limiter function doesn't work consistently when rendering TrueHD. Even when enabled, I sometimes get massive clipping.

4. There is no option to disable DRC using the Dolby Encoder Engine when encoding Dolby TrueHD. This is possible in the Dolby Media Encoder, so I assume it's possible in the command line as well.

1. Could there or will there be a function to create a new ADM that preserves object metadata, so that it can be loaded into Dolby Atmos Renderer or a compatible DAW like Nuendo for visualization? Cavernize has his feature, but it works only with E-AC-3 and not TrueHD.

No ADM creation. The DRP tool outputs decoded Atmos to pcm. It basically ‘plays’ the input file and captures the decoded output at faster than real-time)

2. Exporting mono wavs doesn't work (I always get interleaved wavs)

Are you using latest MMH 7.0.1? Version 7.0.0 did not include a mono wav export (code was not implemented until 7.0.1 release)

3. The limiter function doesn't work consistently when rendering TrueHD. Even when enabled, I sometimes get massive clipping.

The MMH Atmos Helper only has fixed gain options. The 2nd option could cause clipping.

4. There is no option to disable DRC using the Dolby Encoder Engine when encoding Dolby TrueHD. This is possible in the Dolby Media Encoder, so I assume it's possible in the command line as well.

The Atmos Helper always disables DRC on decode for both THD and DDP.

Just a note, I was decoding this release ARCHORA / AIŌN — Sono Luminus | Recording Studio & Record Label and it failed almost immediately. I removed accented O from the directory and filename and it worked.
directory Sono Luminus- ARCHORA _ AIŌN - Iceland Symphony Orchestra
filename Sono Luminus- ARCHORA _ AIŌN - Iceland Symphony Orchestra_t01.mkv

As always thanks for such a great tool!

I suspect the mix does not have LC and RC channels and whatever software you are using to look at the channel layout is incorrect. Why? Because their is no LC and RC channels in Dolby Atmos 16 channel system standard used for home systems.

Not using this Atmos decoder as the channel layouts do not support anything with LC and RC.

You could, of course remap the wides (LW and RW) to L and R, and L and R to LC and RC.
Hi Homer,
Actually, Dolby Atmos is object based, and is designed to be rendered/scaled to the number of supported channels you have in your home system. Several channels are almost always fixed, typically 7.1.2 (the standard 7.1 speakers + one stereo pair of overheads).

While typical AVRs and an upmixer like Penteo use a subset of locations (i.e. 9.1.6, with 7.1+wides, and it doesn't support Lc/Rc as you say), on the Trinnov Altitude, we can define any of the 24 floor speaker and 10 height speaker locations that Dolby Atmos supports (up to 24.1.10). Not 100% sure on this but Storm Audio's implementation might support Lc/Rc as well on their 24 and 32 channel units. I'm an Altitude 32/24 owner, by the way.

So you literally can have a 16 channel system with L/C/R, Ls/Rs, Lrs/Rrs, Lw/Rw wides, and Lc/Rc screen centers and two pairs of heights (i.e. Ltf/Rtf and Rtr/Rtr) if you want. My own system is 13.4.6 (4 subs), and along with the speakers I mentioned above, I also have a pair of front side surrounds (Ls1/Rs1) and another pair of heights at Ltm/Rtm. As far as I know, Trinnov is unique in supporting the entire set of possible speaker locations for Atmos, not just a subset that has been coded for DSP implementation of Atmos.

So yes, you can have Lc/Rc playing content that passes through those locations with moving dynamic objects. It's not common, but it exists. Gravity, Hacksaw Ridge, War for the Planet of the Apes, Unbroken, and Oblivion are examples, also Hunter/Killer, Moonfall, Overlord, and among other albums released in Atmos, REM's Automatic for the People. Not home to look into this, but some of the electronica albums on Apple Music mixed in Dolby Atmos use them as well - Yello's Point comes to mind.

It's easy to tell which speakers are activated on the Altitude - there's a Dolby Atmos Object Viewer that you can look at in real time which shows where objects are located, as well as which of your defined speakers are playing. if you don't have Lc/Rc, whatever objects would pass through those location snap back (fold) into the L/C/Rs according to how Atmos operates.

NB: according to the information on the Info tab for speaker constraints on the Altitude, the only requirement on the Atmos layout for having Lc/Rc is to have Ls/Rs, for some reason.

Last edited:
Of course you are correct about objects. They can be encoded to play from any x,y,z location. What I meant was Atmos AVRs do not have LC/ RC (screen) speakers in their setup configurations, so an AVR cannot use LCRC speakers correctly.

The Atmos decoder (DRP) used does not support > 16 speakers and the 16 speakers are predefined to include LW and RW (not Screen LC and RC). So there is no way to output to Screen LC and RC channels.

It's easy to tell which speakers are activated on the Altitude - there's a Dolby Atmos Object Viewer that you can look at in real time which shows where objects are located, as well as which of your defined speakers are playing. if you don't have Lc/Rc, whatever objects would pass through those location snap back (fold) into the L/C/Rs according to how Atmos operates.

Hello sdrucker, could you tell which program you mean to be able to observe the location of the objects?

Sure - the Object Viewer is part of the Trinnov Altitude's features. It's something they developed internally from the objects they see as Inputs from the source material in Atmos. This isn't a standalone plug-in that can be downloaded unfortunately.

Tried MMH 7.0.1 with the Atmos helper, setting "Mono WAVs (1 per channel) and it just creates a W64 file. Am i doing something wrong?

Tried MMH 7.0.1 with the Atmos helper, setting "Mono WAVs (1 per channel)...

I tested on my PC it worked correctly on a 5.1.4 decode to mono wavs.

I have updated the Atmos Helper component in the MMH Installer, you can try reinstalling this to ensure the version is latest. Its possible the MMH build did not include the latest MMH Atmos Helper:

https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh7/MMHInstaller.msi

Unfortunately, the updated version does not fix mono WAVs either (at least not for me). I tried to decode an EAC3 JOC Atmos file to 7.1.2 but the Atmos Helper just outputs a W64 file.

Reactions: AVX
Back