Stuff that sounds amazing with the Surround Master

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CCR - Analogue Productions SACD’s

Definitely gets better as you get later into the catalog, as for the first 2 records it places much of the drum kit in the back, not the SM’s fault but just the way those albums were mixed. I know some people like this but as I use small satellite speakers for my rear surrounds they just can’t reproduce the full frequency range of a drum kit.

Things get better starting with Green River. Most of the time John’s guitar licks are popping up over your right shoulder. Drums pulled out more to the center of the room with some reverberation spilling into the rear channels.

Down On The Corner from Willy and the Poor Boys. Wow. Sounds flipping amazing through this thing. The opening in particular I might’ve mistaken it for a remix from the multis. Everything is placed exactly where I’d expect it to be.

The sonics on these SACD’s are the best I’ve ever heard these albums sound, I’m mostly used to hearing these songs from a battered 80s CD pressing of Chronicle that my dad would play non-stop growing up. Doug’s drums have so much air you can almost picture them in your mind reverberating throughout Wally Heider studio where most of these famous recordings were made. I’m still getting used to how amazing my CD’s and SACD’s sound through the DAC on my new (to me) Oppo BDP-93. Converting DSD to PCM and going from the Analog Stereo Out straight into the SM. Just beautiful.

My dad’s a huge CCR fan so I sat him down and played a few tracks for him, switching between bypass mode and Involve 4.0 and he was amazed at how it was able to pull apart certain instruments and place them in the sound field!

Overall most every song I played sounded stellar and I’d be perfectly content if we never got any CCR studio albums in surround. These sound amazing.

Last edited:
CCR - Analogue Productions SACD’s

Definitely gets better as you get later into the catalog, as for the first 2 records it places much of the drum kit in the back, not the SM’s fault but just the way those albums were mixed. I know some people like this but as I use small satellite speakers for my rear surrounds they just can’t reproduce the full frequency range of a drum kit.

Things get better starting with Green River. Most of the time John’s guitar licks are popping up over your right shoulder. Drums pulled out more to the center of the room with some reverberation spilling into the rear channels.

Down On The Corner from Willy and the Poor Boys. Wow. Sounds flipping amazing through this thing. The opening in particular I might’ve mistaken it for a remix from the multis. Everything is placed exactly where I’d expect it to be.

The sonics on these SACD’s are the best I’ve ever heard these albums sound, I’m mostly used to hearing these songs from a battered 80s CD pressing of Chronicle that my dad would play non-stop growing up. Doug’s drums have so much air you can almost picture them in your mind reverberating throughout Wally Heider studio where most of these famous recordings were made. I’m still getting used to how amazing my CD’s and SACD’s sound through the DAC on my new (to me) Oppo BDP-93. Converting DSD to PCM and going from the Analog Stereo Out straight into the SM. Just beautiful.

My dad’s a huge CCR fan so I sat him down and played a few tracks for him, switching between bypass mode and Involve 4.0 and he was amazed at how it was able to pull apart certain instruments and place them in the sound field!

Overall most every song I played sounded stellar and I’d be perfectly content if we never got any CCR studio albums in surround. These sound amazing.
Just love CCR

Just love CCR
I know they’re your #1 Chucky!

The great thing about them is even though they’ve been played to death I still don’t mind hearing all of their hits but they’ve got some amazing deeper cuts on the albums.

Sinister Purpose and Tearin’ Up the Country would be two of my favorites. Just love the guitar playing on the latter.

I know they’re your #1 Chucky!

The great thing about them is even though they’ve been played to death I still don’t mind hearing all of their hits but they’ve got some amazing deeper cuts on the albums.

Sinister Purpose and Tearin’ Up the Country would be two of my favorites. Just love the guitar playing on the latter.
Hey I love those two also and Tearin up the country was sung by Doug , all 3 of his tracks of Mardi Gras were great. I typically really like their non released side tracks like poor boy shuffle, it came out of the sky, ramble tamble, graveyard train.

Whoa! Thanks for the heads-up! Killer!!
Screenshot 2023-05-10 at 2.54.25 PM.png
Creedence Clearwater Revival Featuring John Fogerty - Chronicle - The 20 Greatest Hits

1683993669520.jpeg

Hoooolay f****** balls!!!!

Not even a fan of this album or Michael in general (though I still respect what he did for pop culture) but the big hits sound absolutely huge through the SM. I had a nearly euphoric listening experience last night with the lights off.

This Bernie Grundman mastered SACD really allows Quincy Jones’ immaculate production to shine through. Grundman also cut the original LP if I’m not mistaken. And apparently the MOFI SACD is even better, mastered so well in fact that some people thought it had been remixed!
There’s all kinds of stuff mixed really wide in the stereo spectrum and the rears just get jam packed with discrete goodness!!

Beat It and Billie Jean are the most satisfying for me, Thriller less so for some reason but still really good. The Girl Is Mine, a personal favourite song also sounds sublime.

I know there’s been a recent Atmos mix of this album released on streaming but I really have no desire to hear it after hearing this.

Seriously, if I ever have someone over and want to audition stuff through the SM, this is what I’m putting on.

Bloody well done, @chucky3042 and @Overture !!!!

Beat It and Billie Jean are the most satisfying for me, Thriller less so for some reason but still really good. The Girl Is Mine, a personal favourite song also sounds sublime.
How do you like the opening drum beats on Billy Jean? I don't know if I've experienced that degree of dynamics in any other pop song. Demo material for the SM.

How do you like the opening drum beats on Billy Jean? I don't know if I've experienced that degree of dynamics in any other pop song. Demo material for the SM.
It really is unbelievable. I just can’t get around how the SM keeps the dynamics and fidelity of the original recording intact and making the separation so clean, which would otherwise be a smeary mess with something like Dullby Pro Logic.

FLASHBACK ALERT! I spent a LOT of time between the cans with this one back in the daze! Another stellar VMP release that is truly mind-expanding through the SM v.2! The extras on this release include a great art print and an extensive listening notes book. The 180 g noonday sun vinyl comes packaged in a spot-gloss, tip-on gatefold sleeve. And let's not forget that obi! Top shelf!
Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 9.09.59 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 9.09.26 PM.png

https://www.discogs.com/release/25694245-Grateful-Dead-Anthem-Of-The-Sun

FLASHBACK ALERT! I spent a LOT of time between the cans with this one back in the daze! Another stellar VMP release that is truly mind-expanding through the SM v.2! The extras on this release include a great art print and an extensive listening notes book. The 180 g noonday sun vinyl comes packaged in a spot-gloss, tip-on gatefold sleeve. And let's not forget that obi! Top shelf!
View attachment 91751View attachment 91752

https://www.discogs.com/release/25694245-Grateful-Dead-Anthem-Of-The-Sun
Absolutely my favorite GD album. Loved their spacey psychedelic stuff before they went country. Or folk rock. Whatever.

Back