Needing help with my qrx-9001

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veruca79

I’m now in possession of the 9k1, awesome, right? Got it for $800 and was promised (not just told, promised! Lol) it worked great. If that were the case it would be in show and tell, not here.

Ramblings aside.. the thing is a total wreck. All it does is turn on. When hooked up to speakers it doesn’t make a peep. No hiss, static, snap crackle or pop. Phono input, record in, or aux produce nothing as well. The output needles sporadically move when I crank the volume.

To get to the point: does anybody have any recommendations for a shop or place to send it off to? This is my dream receiver and don’t want to give up on it just yet. Any help, advice, thoughts, or even opinions would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3390.jpeg
    IMG_3390.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 2
I’m now in possession of the 9k1, awesome, right? Got it for $800 and was promised (not just told, promised! Lol) it worked great. If that were the case it would be in show and tell, not here.

Ramblings aside.. the thing is a total wreck. All it does is turn on. When hooked up to speakers it doesn’t make a peep. No hiss, static, snap crackle or pop. Phono input, record in, or aux produce nothing as well. The output needles sporadically move when I crank the volume.

To get to the point: does anybody have any recommendations for a shop or place to send it off to? This is my dream receiver and don’t want to give up on it just yet. Any help, advice, thoughts, or even opinions would be very much appreciated.
Greetings!
You will probably have some other good suggestions but this one always pops up in these situations:

https://www.qrxrestore.com/
Keep us informed how things go!!

Congrats. on a great piece of old gear! That's the good news, the bad is that most of these need significant work unless you just get lucky IMO. I've got a Sansui QRX-8001 that had some issues and I sent it back to qrxrestore (also recommended BTW) for a total reconditioning. It worked great for about another year and then some other stuff started going bad with it (*$~~**&&^#$$$) and these repairs are not cheap.

Also these receivers weigh a ton, which makes shipping expensive and a hassle. Maybe with your traveling you can stop in at qrxrestore and drop it off and save about ~$240 in shipping. Give qrxrestore a detailed email message as to what you have there and they'll weigh in from there, if you do ship it they'll send you a customized box to send the receiver to them and back.

email:

[email protected]

address:

Vintage Stereos
2186 City View St.
Eugene, Oregon 97405

But for sure keep us in the loop, we love new members with old gear like this and also what music they end up with to play on it. You might even be able to do CD-4 if it all gets fixed up right for ya.

Best of luck-
The Mutt

Congrats. on a great piece of old gear! That's the good news, the bad is that most of these need significant work unless you just get lucky IMO. I've got a Sansui QRX-8001 that had some issues and I sent it back to qrxrestore (also recommended BTW) for a total reconditioning. It worked great for about another year and then some other stuff started going bad with it (*$~~**&&^#$$$) and these repairs are not cheap.

Also these receivers weigh a ton, which makes shipping expensive and a hassle. Maybe with your traveling you can stop in at qrxrestore and drop it off and save about ~$240 in shipping. Give qrxrestore a detailed email message as to what you have there and they'll weigh in from there, if you do ship it they'll send you a customized box to send the receiver to them and back.

email:

[email protected]

address:

Vintage Stereos

2186 City View St.

Eugene, Oregon 97405

But for sure keep us in the loop, we love new members with old gear like this and also what music they end up with to play on it. You might even be able to do CD-4 if it all gets fixed up right for ya.

Best of luck-
The Mutt
Thanks so much! I called them and an on the queue for service. Estimated 6 months before they can take mine in but I have no problem waiting. Until then I have my trusty Yamaha HTR holding things down.

I've got a Sansui QRX-8001 that had some issues and I sent it back to qrxrestore (also recommended BTW) for a total reconditioning. It worked great for about another year and then some other stuff started going bad with it.
I would have thought that a totally reconditioned unit would have worked well for many years, assuming it was done right. Did qrx restore overlook something?

I'm trying to find a 9001 in Australia but they very rarely come for sale here. I was thinking of getting one from the US where they are far more plentiful (most examples are multi voltage) and having it sent straight to qrx restore and then shipped to me. But it's a lot of hassle, and no doubt I'll get screwed with Australian import taxes and freight costs (even if only one way, I'm sure they will be exorbitant).

Thanks so much! I called them and an on the queue for service. Estimated 6 months before they can take mine in but I have no problem waiting. Until then I have my trusty Yamaha HTR holding things down.

I hope things work out for your Sansui restoration. I'm a big fan of their technology and their products reputation has held up all these decades later.

However if you run into problems, change your mind or otherwise want to consider an alternative, this might be of relevant reading:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/quad-the-middle-ground.28708/

If all of those don't work at the same time, I would suspect the power supply.

I would have thought that a totally reconditioned unit would have worked well for many years, assuming it was done right. Did qrx restore overlook something?
I don't believe they overlooked anything, I'm satisfied qrxrestore did the job they set out to do at the time. I feel the problem is that when you're dealing with 50 year old electronics, something may be working great one day and the next it has just outlasted its life expectancy. Also, consider the environmental conditions it has been kept in over all those decades. Say, perhaps it was stationed at a house in the deep eastern south of the USA, there's a lot of humidity around, and that could have accelerated the aging process; or maybe frequent and rapid changes in the temperature as in some places. Really the only thing wrong with mine now (after about 1-1 1/2 years working great after the restore) is that the left rear channel cuts in and out often, and sometimes the front panel lights will flicker. The real hassle for me is breaking my system down, packing up and shipping it out and then the reverse when it gets back to me.

Good luck on your journey to acquire a 9001, a great piece of gear for sure!

As a former audio technician, I have learned a lot about how parts age and fail. The most common troublemakers are:

Electrolytic capacitors - They tend to leak and dry out. Also, they fail more quickly when the device is stored and not used than they do if the device is in continuous use.

Potentiometers (variable resistors) - these become oxidized or contaminated and must be cleaned to work again.

Contacts (switches and connectors) - these become oxidized or contaminated and must be cleaned to work again.

Light Bulbs and tubes - these have a finite lifetime depending on the total time they are lit.

Tuning capacitors - These collect dust and sometimes need to be cleaned out.

Most other parts - these do not have lifetimes and usually fail suddenly. When they fail, they either short out or they open.

Back