Is it my speakers? I think I'm done with CD's. Are paid-for downloadable files any better? (...and, "Can it reach 60", a quality test for CDs)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an early '70s Technics 3 head cassette deck. Was a nice machine. Touch transport controls, no jamming a switch into place.
Time gone by does not permit my remembering the model #.
I still have a Technics M228X cassette deck (retired) that has dbx. Not only for tape noise reduction but also a built in phono pre-amp for plugging a TT straight into it for playing back dbx records.

1685053625166.png

I have maybe 5>6 dbx discs. First time I played one it was so quiet I questioned if I forgot to lower the tone arm. I think its amazing to consider back then, with analog vinyl, dbx & SQ encoding with a Tate 101 A we could have had something that subjectively rivaled discrete digital MCH today.

In regards to earlier statements that dbx is a 2:1 compander system, yes that's true but... the compression/expansion had certain defined level thresholds as to when it did that, or played straight. Also tape dbx was different from disc dbx and IIRC they both had different EQ than tape/disc.

Mat of techmoan fame , has said that he thinks dbx encoded vinyl is the best format there has been so far.
And yet only approximately 300 DBX encoded were ever produced and they were never available commercially from most retail stores. Had there been a worldwide internet at the time to get 'the word' out of their superiority, perhaps things would've been different.

The few DBX discs I owned were indeed quiet and did possess a wide dynamic range but the format evaporated quickly as other vinyl formats like Sheffield Lab's Direct to Disc format, SUPERDISCS [which did produce some DBX discs], Nautilus Records and CBS' half~speed mastered records started to produce their own vinyl refinements which gained more popular acceptance without the need for a decoder!

popsike.com - Bruce Springsteen LP “Born To Run” Columbia 33795 Half ...

popsike.com - PINK FLOYD Wish You Were Here HALF-SPEED MASTERED Promo ...

Last edited:
I dont know if there is a truly comprehensive list of what got released. There are more than 300.
I have a Japanese released prog group on dbx lp I have not seen anywhere. Will have to look for it at home dont recall the name.
Quad Linda is an authority on these like many other subjects.
I saw that Techmoan video on dbx worth watching. Too bad this format did not stay. Decoders could have been incorporated into receivers, maybe turntables and some kind of auto engage been developed when dbx encoding was detected. Who knows...

Or like trying to get the average joe to invest in more than 2 speakers ...if THAT .... Most today actually prefer ear buds, Bud!
Yep, Jeffie, QQ member LUTE WHO LIVES IN TOKYO, the electronics capitol of the world mentioned that the majority of its youth prefer to listen to their music via ear buds! Incredulous ... but true!

Well.....for one thing the Japanese appreciate quality so these are going to be damm good earbuds..... lol.

Also the electronic stores like other types are fantastic in Japan. Multiple floors with all kinds of stuff. I wish I could buy an 8K TV there with hopefully 3D and ship it home....

Maybe our friends at Involve can revive dbx decoding and vinyl for us............

Well.....for one thing the Japanese appreciate quality
This statement is unrelated but why do they keep brickwalling their records? :cry:

Maybe our friends at Involve can revive dbx decoding and vinyl for us............
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't dbx patented? Has it expired yet?

DBX was based in Massachusetts. Pretty sure they went out of business but dont know how this effects patent validity.
Im sure Involve would sooner revive 8track tapes or 4ears favorite format cassettes than do this.

I hope the Japanese arent releasing new brickwalled vinyl....I have no idea if there is a vinyl revival there with new vinyl records being pressed.

Well.....for one thing the Japanese appreciate quality so these are going to be damm good earbuds..... lol.

Also the electronic stores like other types are fantastic in Japan. Multiple floors with all kinds of stuff. I wish I could buy an 8K TV there with hopefully 3D and ship it home....

FYI, the Japanese are now working on 16K TV, Jeffie ... and perhaps by then James Cameron's AVATAR III will be out in 16K 3D!!!!!!!!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47867038

DBX was based in Massachusetts. Pretty sure they went out of business but dont know how this effects patent validity.
Im sure Involve would sooner revive 8track tapes or 4ears favorite format cassettes than do this.

I hope the Japanese arent releasing new brickwalled vinyl....I have no idea if there is a vinyl revival there with new vinyl records being pressed.
Horrors, Jeffie ....... Just give me well replicated Pure Audio BD~As and a few more hundred Dutton Vocalion QUAD SACDs and yes, MORE 3D and I'll be a happy camper forever!

As for 16K .... yeah, right, if you own a STADIUM!

Vinyl physically can't be as brickwalled as digital formats can. Needle pops out and reduced playing time and stuff.

SACDs on the other hand...(always research SACDs with Japanese music on them before buying...well, always research the product you're buying in general).

Ok I'm home and I found my Japanese dbx record
REALIZE by ken Yajima & Visions
Back cover says Warner-pioneer but record label is Atlantic with dbx printed on it
Record cover has dbx sticker on front.
I've never seen this album on a list.

I just had an opportunity to measure the DR of the dbx record.
It measured a DR14 which ties the best CD's and vinyl listed in the database.
https://dr.loudness-war.info/?artist=Supertramp&album=Even+inDBX was a definite improvement for the S/N of vinyl in it's day, pushing down
surface noise below the background noise of analog tape making them both pretty
close to inaudible.

Back