Alan Parsons Project - The Turn of a Friendly Card (Box Set in Feb 2023, standalone Blu-Ray in May)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is all that comes up in a search, I ordered my own from here yesterday. Could it be a US and Great Britain issue?

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 9.45.56 AM.png

unlistenable outside of Sirius and the title track-- just mediocre 80s dreck
"Children of the Moon", "Gemini", "Silence and I", "Old and Wise" are "mediocre 80s dreck"? They're very typical Eric Woolfson songs, and, IMO, among his best. "Children of the Moon" in particular could've easily fit on Turn of a Friendly Card.

Pre-ordered the standalone blu ray. I'm more optimistic about this than I am Eye In The Sky. Eye was a solid mix, but I found the album to be practically unlistenable outside of Sirius and the title track-- just mediocre 80s dreck. Games People Play and Time alone are such great tunes that make this one worthwhile, IMO. Will see about the rest.
I guess it's all in the ear of the beholder. I think "Eye" is a great album, all the way around. Terrific mix, and I like all the tracks on it. But everybody's taste is different, and I respect that.

"Children of the Moon", "Gemini", "Silence and I", "Old and Wise" are "mediocre 80s dreck"? They're very typical Eric Woolfson songs, and, IMO, among his best. "Children of the Moon" in particular could've easily fit on Turn of a Friendly Card.
I totally agree. The pop music era is quite a bit less without Eric in the studio. May he rest in peace.

I am harsh on EITS and, frankly, for reasons I can't quite put my finger on. Of the songs you listed, Old and Wise is probably the one I like best. Silence and I is the most interesting with its little prog departure mid-song. The "dreck" description is a bit mean, but there is something about the production of the album that serves to undermine the album rather than enhance it. It's immaculate production for the time, as expected from Parsons, but it's dull somehow. The songs are almost all slow to mid-tempo, the drums dull sounding (typical of the era from about 78-82, until they started gating the hell out of them, perhaps as a response). The vocals are all warm to a fault-- like they occupy a space in the frequency range that triggers disinterest or something (and I happen to really like Woolfson's voice). I'm not sure a different sequencing/order to the songs would help, but it doesn't help that Sirius is the opener and then nothing rises to that climactic level again.

Taste is subjective, but hopefully that somewhat explains my issues with the album.

It's immaculate production for the time, as expected from Parsons, but it's dull somehow. The songs are almost all slow to mid-tempo, the drums dull sounding (typical of the era from about 78-82, until they started gating the hell out of them, perhaps as a response). The vocals are all warm to a fault-- like they occupy a space in the frequency range that triggers disinterest or something (and I happen to really like Woolfson's voice).
Except for the "gating" bit, which doesn't apply to this album AFAIK, everything you mention about it are the aspects that make me love it so..
It's called prog rock, not metal-hard rock. ;)

Pre-ordered the standalone blu ray. I'm more optimistic about this than I am Eye In The Sky. Eye was a solid mix, but I found the album to be practically unlistenable outside of Sirius and the title track-- just mediocre 80s dreck. Games People Play and Time alone are such great tunes that make this one worthwhile, IMO. Will see about the res
Seems like every Alan Parsons Project album has a couple of tracks that IMO would be called MOR / Cheesy. On Eye in the Sky - Gemini and Children of the Moon are those MOR / Cheezy songs for me. Not being a large Alan Parsons Project fan, Only I Robot is solid on all tracks. JMHO

Except for the "gating" bit, which doesn't apply to this album AFAIK, everything you mention about it are the aspects that make me love it so..
It's called prog rock, not metal-hard rock. ;)
Yes, the gating came right about this time, but is not at all present on EITS, which has the more dull, dry sounding drums that were common in the latter half of the 70s and early 80s.

Back