DVD/DTS Poll Allman Brothers Band, The - Live at Fillmore East [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of the Allman Brothers Band - LIVE AT THE FILLMORE EAST

• Total voters
This is a great old schhol quad mix (I believe its the original), i dont have the Q8 CD4 (whatever format it originally came on) to compare.
However the music is great, the Allman Brothers at their best.

Its a shame more of these original mixs don't appear on DVD/SACD or even DTS disc as they are fun and already done so not exacly much expense needed by the record labels, just a realisation of a ready existing asset.

Yes, I heard several times that this is the original quad mix. But when I listen to it, there is some center channel info, but I think primarilily echo. Not much coming out of the subs either on the DTS mix - however, still a fabulous mix and needless to say classic, classic music.

Thanks, I have the CD4 LP but wasn't sure if this was going to be the same mix. Agree that there are still many good old 4.0 records out there that DTS "could" reissue without a whole lot of investment, if they chose. John S.

Thanks, I have the CD4 LP but wasn't sure if this was going to be the same mix. Agree that there are still many good old 4.0 records out there that DTS "could" reissue without a whole lot of investment, if they chose. John S.
The dts release has an encoding mistake somewhere, I believe in Stormy Monday.

It may be mostly the Quad mix but it doesn't include the harmonica solo in Stormy Monday.

:banana:

Attachments

• Allman Brothers - Live Fillmore DTS.jpg
    Allman Brothers - Live Fillmore DTS.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 717
The dts release has an encoding mistake somewhere, I believe in Stormy Monday.

It may be mostly the Quad mix but it doesn't include the harmonica solo in Stormy Monday.

I did not compare the whole disc track-by-track, but there is no harmonica solo on my standard CD version of this title.

Last edited:
Right, but it is in the original CD-4 release.

I understand now...and it shows that the DTS release did not use the original quad mix. I honestly don't hear where a harmonica solo would fit in the arrangement. Can you tell if it's the same recording or perhaps it's from the other night (the album was recorded over 2 consecutive nights I believe)? They might have selected the other night's version for the original CD-4 release. I'll have to see if I can find a DTS transfer of the CD-4 version. I have never heard it.

Hi All-

I've got the 2-disc DTS version of this, in a slim double jewel case, and recently saw a 1-disc DTS version in a larger DVD-Audio type case.

Does anyone know if there are any differences soundwise between the 1-disc and 2-disc DTS versions?

Thanks,
-Andy

Hi All-

I've got the 2-disc DTS version of this, in a slim double jewel case, and recently saw a 1-disc DTS version in a larger DVD-Audio type case.

Does anyone know if there are any differences soundwise between the 1-disc and 2-disc DTS versions?

Thanks,
-Andy

I did not know there was a 2-disc DTS version. I know the SACD package has 2 discs. Post your track list and run times and I'll compare it with my DTS version.

The number on the spine is 710215-4410-2-3. UPC code is 71021-5441023. It looks almost identical to the one posted here, except the back shows disc one with 5 tracks and disc two with 2 tracks.

Disc 1 - 35:58.02

1. Statesboro Blues
2. Done Somebody Wrong
3. Stormy Monday
4. Hot 'Lanta
5. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed

Disc 2 - 42:18.40

1. You Don't Love Me
2. Whipping Post

The number on the spine is 710215-4410-2-3. UPC code is 71021-5441023. It looks almost identical to the one posted here, except the back shows disc one with 5 tracks and disc two with 2 tracks.

Disc 1 - 35:58.02

1. Statesboro Blues
2. Done Somebody Wrong
3. Stormy Monday
4. Hot 'Lanta
5. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed

Disc 2 - 42:18.40

1. You Don't Love Me
2. Whipping Post

I assume both versions share the same mix. It is odd that my 1 disc version has the same UPC code and number on the spine as your 2 disc version.

Here is the track list and run times per the liner notes:

1. Statesboro Blues - 4:08
2. Done Somebody Wrong - 4:05
3. Stormy Monday - 8:31
4. Hot 'Lanta - 5:10
5. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed - 12:46
6. You Don't Love Me - 19:06
7. Whipping Post - 22:40

If I am doing my math correctly, the first five tracks on the 1 disc version have a total run time of 34:40 and the last 2 tracks total 41:46. At least per the liner notes, the 1 disc version appears to be a little shorter.

I guess I'd assume that both versions share the same mix also. That is pretty odd about the UPC & spine numbers...

My disc times are what EAC shows for each disc when read by my computer drive. So the times might actually be closer or equal.

Thanks for your info!

-Andy

I guess I'd assume that both versions share the same mix also. That is pretty odd about the UPC & spine numbers...

My disc times are what EAC shows for each disc when read by my computer drive. So the times might actually be closer or equal.

Thanks for your info!

-Andy

I should have checked the track times with a player before posting. Tracks 1-5 acutally total up to 35:53 and the last two tracks are 42:12. That is much closer to the 2 disc version.

I should have checked the track times with a player before posting. Tracks 1-5 acutally total up to 35:53 and the last two tracks are 42:12. That is much closer to the 2 disc version.

(y)

Definitely much closer. I'd bet that the 1 disc version replaced the earlier 2 disc version as a cost cutting move.

Back