HiRez Poll Nektar - REMEMBER THE FUTURE [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Nektar - REMEMBER THE FUTURE

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

51-IbzHdTOL.jpg

51u9li-m7xL.jpg

I'm biased, having this album in 6 different versions, but this one is my all time favorite. The fact that they preserved the original quad mix in a discrete hi rez version is cool. BTW, just learned today that the SACD has been discontinued, it's no longer listed as an SACD hybrid at the Eclectic site, so snap these up from eBay if you want one.

It is so nice to finally have a discrete version of this excellent album! The SQ LP decodes nicely but I was never 100% satisfied with it... nothing like waiting 30 years to get it done right. :eek:

Better late than never with this one...was not familiar with the original quad mix but this SACD is excellent, great action in the rear speakers from vocals, guitars and all else, particularly on Part II. For some reason it seems to be recorded at a lower level than most SACDs I own, need to crank it several additional clicks but that is no problem...I gave it a 9. Several copies recently gave up on Ebay from the same seller but it took some looking to find them. Unlike the other two Nektar SACDs, this one had the Nektar approved remix sticker on it but the case makes no mention of SACD or DSD. The disc however, has all the logos. Hunt it down if at all possible.
I'm waitng for thier long promised 5.1 of Down To Earth to come out and have emailed them about my anticipation...hopefully this year. :banana:

I just got this one from Amazon UK, and I really like it. I know "Journey To The Center Of The Eye" is also available but does anyone know how many other Nektar titles if any, are available on hybrid multichannel SACD? If so where are they available?

Thanks, Dennis

Nektar - Live in New York - 2 Disc Set
also exists in multichannel SACD. Number is DNECD 1206/7.
I haven't opened mine (what am I waiting for???)
but does say 5.1 surround remix from 1977 recording put out on Bellaphon.
A 1974 live concert.

I'll pop it open and give a listen and report back here.
Ambient only rears???

Tom in So Cal

Nektar - Live in New York, hybrid CD/MC SACD.
Remixed from 16 track master tapes of the live concert.
Unfortunately, all 16 tracks mixed to come from the front center. All musicians sitting on top of each other, sounds like a one man band.
Disappointing!!!!! (n)
For a mono mix, not even that good, drums not sharp, cymbals mixed a bit low, bass non-distinct, etc.
For the those who like crowd noise from the rear, you may actually like the mix.

Tom from So Cal.

Nektar - Live in New York, hybrid CD/MC SACD.
Remixed from 16 track master tapes of the live concert.
Unfortunately, all 16 tracks mixed to come from the front center. All musicians sitting on top of each other, sounds like a one man band.
Disappointing!!!!! (n)
For a mono mix, not even that good, drums not sharp, cymbals mixed a bit low, bass non-distinct, etc.
For the those who like crowd noise from the rear, you may actually like the mix.

Tom from So Cal.

Thanks for the prompt report on the surround mix Tom.
I think I'll pass on the "Live" disc.

Dennis

Gave it an 8.
It was originally recorded as quadraphonic, so that helps.
Unfortunately the sound is flat and unexciting, hence the score.
Nice one for Nektar fans obviously.

Rather good fun!
Chuffed just to have it and hear it (and not have paid an arm and a leg for it..!!)
An "8" for being fun, entertaining and clever without descending into pomposity and for being just a bit different.
Could sound better but I guess thats the limitations of the source tape.

Like this album. Surround mix is different with most of the vocal activity happening in rare. 8.

Love the music but much prefer to listen to the 2-ch in DPLII. Really dislike like having so much vocals and guitar in the back channels.

Last edited:
Sorry I am so late to the party.

I saw the Nektar reunion in Camden in 2004 at Near-Fest. I've been a life-long Nektar fan and bought RTF on LP back in the seventies...

It was never recorded as good as Dark Side of The Moon, so I find the quad upmix to 5.1 to be absolutely spectacular compared to the original LP.

I personally love all the stuff coming from the rears. I marvel at what a good quad upmix this is. This surround offering has such a warm sound to it. Jimi Hendrix level guitar riffs, lush vocals and plenty of harmonies. This SACD is a prefect 10 for me. I could not expect more from a mult-channel release of this classic album....except for Nektar - Recycled in 5.1!

At the Camden show which was the last Near-Fest they had...there was a huge music market which had for sale 3 Nektar albums in 5.1 and all the Nektar records finally released approved by the band in RedBook. I bought ALL the stuff, including the classic Man In The Moon. I am so glad I bought these treasures. Long Live Nektar!

A great disc, I got all three of the SACDs when they came out....unfortunately the rest that were promised never happened as their reunion seemed to run out of steam, label changes, etc.

Back