BluRay Music Video Poll Juritz, David - VIVALDI FOUR SEASONS, CONCERTO FOR DOUBLE ORCHESTRA [HD-DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the HD-DVD release of David Juritz - VIVALDI: FOUR SEASONS

• 10 - Great Audio, Great Mix, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 -

• 8 -

• 7 -

• 6 -

• 5 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Not worth it

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HiRez Music HD-DVD from SURROUND RECORDS!!

Also, please post what kind of equipment you used to listen to this presentation.

THANKS

:-jon

Attachments

• four seasons.jpg
    four seasons.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 260
I have not heard this release but it looks like a reissue of the same program/performers as the first Naxos 5.1 multichannel DVD-A but remixed for 7.1. The performance is more than competent but not outstanding and the sound is pretty good, too. I really doubt there is any reason to buy this for more than twice the price of the DVD-A, or the subsequent SACD. Certainly, with HD-DVD in its death throes, I have no such motivation.

Kal

I was expecting a surround spectacular with this one, but instead it's mainly an "up front" 3 channel stereo presentation with the ambience of a church/cathedral in the rears. If you turn your monitor on, you get the expected nature scenes in 16x9 HD taken during the various "seasons".

It's nice, it sounds good, but it's not something I'll probably play again, unless I want to simulate sitting in a church waiting for a wedding to start.......................

MY RATING: 4

[TOSHIBA A35/DENON 4308ci]

Interesting. In the original Naxos release, the recording of the concerto put one orchestra in front and the other behind. Was that arrangement not retained for this release?

Kal

Interesting. In the original Naxos release, the recording of the concerto put one orchestra in front and the other behind. Was that arrangement not retained for this release?

Kal

No. In fact, the 'about' screen comes out and says that the rears are ambience only, to simulate the music being played in the cathedral.

No. In fact, the 'about' screen comes out and says that the rears are ambience only, to simulate the music being played in the cathedral.
Well, that is disappointing. The major innovation and interest in original has been eliminated. Too bad.

Well, that is disappointing. The major innovation and interest in original has been eliminated. Too bad.

Sorry to intrude but this is not correct.

This addition was specifically produced in absolute correspondence to original Naxos Recording especially for Concertos for the Assumption of the Virgin Mary written for two independent orchestras, these were recorded with the soloist, David Juritz, standing in the middle of the two groups. This seemed an ideal opportunity to position the orchestras accordingly in surround sound, so for both concertos, orchestra one is positioned in the front channels and orchestra two in the rear.

I am very surprised that you John missed that.

Sorry to intrude but this is not correct.

This addition was specifically produced in absolute correspondence to original Naxos Recording especially for Concertos for the Assumption of the Virgin Mary written for two independent orchestras, these were recorded with the soloist, David Juritz, standing in the middle of the two groups. This seemed an ideal opportunity to position the orchestras accordingly in surround sound, so for both concertos, orchestra one is positioned in the front channels and orchestra two in the rear.

I am very surprised that you John missed that.
Thank you for clearing this up. It did seem curious that this interesting and enjoyable, as well as appropriate, arrangement should have been eliminated.

Back