HiRez Poll Pizzarelli, Bucky - SWING LIVE [DVD-A/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Bucky Pizzarelli - SWING LIVE

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Another 10. Just like sitting in the crowd and listening to a live performance. Great dynamics, especially on the drums. Another demo quality disc.

Guy Robinson said:
Another 10. Just like sitting in the crowd and listening to a live performance.

Exactly. We sat about 8feet behind the mike tree for about half the cuts and, yes, it is a remarkable recreation. Probably, some of the hoots and claps are mine!

Kal

Absolutely one of the best multichannel records made. I have both the 4ch DVD-A and 5-ch SACD and they are both excellent. The center channel seems to be for the movies and you don't acually need it. Sometimes I think the DVD-A sounds better than the SACD ... but long live Chesky!!!!! In my mind the best multi-channel record company is Chesky (together with Opus3).

Esa

Guy Robinson said:
Another 10. Just like sitting in the crowd and listening to a live performance. Great dynamics, especially on the drums. Another demo quality disc.

Totally agree. It's a compelling recreation of a live jazz club recording. An excellent example of what Surround Sound is all about.

Discovered this disc through the reviews here and one track on Chesky's "Ultimate DVD Surround Sampler". This is absolutely the most "live" sounding disc I own, and it's great jazz to boot -- often used as a surround demo here. I especially like "Lime House Blues" and the minute or so after the music ends, where you hear the applause and then audience chatter as they file out. Beyond question, a definite 10!

Mark Z

Discovered this disc through the reviews here and one track on Chesky's "Ultimate DVD Surround Sampler". This is absolutely the most "live" sounding disc I own, and it's great jazz to boot -- often used as a surround demo here. I especially like "Lime House Blues" and the minute or so after the music ends, where you hear the applause and then audience chatter as they file out. Beyond question, a definite 10!

Mark Z
Hey, that's me. I was there!

Kal

Mark Z

That SACD is always one I recommend.

Chesky still uses the Soundfield Microphone for their new Surround Sound SACD releases. But these days their releases are more subtle surround-wise than Swing Live !

Say Kal, if we ever bump into one another somewhere, don't be surprised if I recognize your voice... :D

Brian, do any of the other Chesky titles sound at all like this one? The only other Chesky SACD I've picked up is Phil Woods "Here's to My Lady", and while I like the music, the surround effect is very tame to say the least. I have to admit that I generally love wild & wacky surround mixes, but if there are more "you are there" mixes that sound as good as "Swing Live", I'd sure like to track them down.

Mark Z

Brian, do any of the other Chesky titles sound at all like this one? The only other Chesky SACD I've picked up is Phil Woods "Here's to My Lady", and while I like the music, the surround effect is very tame to say the least. I have to admit that I generally love wild & wacky surround mixes, but if there are more "you are there" mixes that sound as good as "Swing Live", I'd sure like to track them down.

Mark Z

No, the Chesky SACDs are generally pretty conservative on the Surround Sound mixes - Swing Live! being the exception.

A fun one to consider would be the Dr. Chesky's 5.1 Show. It's like one of the Brad Miller Quad Sound Effects Samplers in Surround SACD.

I hate to be a wet towel on this seemingly universally loved title, but I must. The performance - a 10. The music - a 10. The recording - a 10. But the audience reactions to the solos seem over the top to me. It sounds to me like someone came on stage and said "hey, we're recording tonight, so really whoop it up." I've been to a number of jazz club shows, and the applause for each solo feels forced and insincere to me, which makes it hard for me to enjoy this recording.

J. D.

I hate to be a wet towel on this seemingly universally loved title, but I must. The performance - a 10. The music - a 10. The recording - a 10. But the audience reactions to the solos seem over the top to me. It sounds to me like someone came on stage and said "hey, we're recording tonight, so really whoop it up." I've been to a number of jazz club shows, and the applause for each solo feels forced and insincere to me, which makes it hard for me to enjoy this recording.

J. D.
You are right on the button. David Chesky came out between sets and coached us on the amount of audience participation he wanted. Perhaps you detected a subtle lack of spontaneity.

Hmm, I was wondering if some of the excessive applause might have also related to the level of beer and alcohol at the event. :)

First play of this, and I have to say it is a magnificent recording. The quality exceeds most studio jobs, and the musicianship is top notch. High points - drums, vibe, and clarinet have never sounded better. Minor quibbles: audience reaction is a bit loud in the rears, and the acoustic bass level seems a wee bit low.

Overall, highly recommended. Don't miss this title.

One more plus - it's available cheap on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005O12R/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks to sbrom's post, I got this from Amazon and it's an enjoyable one.

Good:
1. Drums. Fidelity is excellent and when the bass or snare are hit hard enough, it's a heck of a kick. Really good to hear given that drums are often ignored and treated as just a time-keeper.
2. Vibes sound pretty good throughout.
3. Audience in the rears are very clear. Pretty loud but they add to the whole feel of the recording.

Not so good:
4. Bass isn't that great. Sounds like it's waaaaaaaaay in the back.
5. Guitar and clarinet aren't on par with the vibes but they're way better than the bass.

I'd still recommend it though if you're on the fence about the purchase. I haven't heard a recording quite like it. Might crank the volume way up and give it a spin tonight.

For a live recording this really swings along in glorious surround.
I'm a sucker for this type of music...reminds me of my youth when I used to listen to Big Band Music and Jazz on the radio, back in the early 70's.
As previous reviewers have pointed out there are one or two niggles but overall, it does it for me.
I would have liked to been there for a pizza the action.
A Swinging 10

Back