Steven Wilson - "Insurgentes"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too cannot get the DVD-Audio 5.1 to work. From what it says on Disc 2 I should load Disc 1 to get the DVD-Audio. However when I do I only get the CD version. Disc 2 has the DTS version (which works fine) and some Advanced Resolution 5.1 (?) that does not run at all. All my other Porcupine Tree DVD-Audio discs work fine so does anyone have any ideas whats wrong with the SW released on DVDA in 5.1??

Just for info I'm using a Oppo DVD player.

Much thanks,

VanPT

Mine plays on my Denon. Odd to have two different players have the same problem, wonder if there was a bad pressing?

I have the Pioneer 578A and the 563 and it plays fine on both in DVD-A as well as the DTS. I did do the firmware update on both though

I too cannot get the DVD-Audio 5.1 to work. From what it says on Disc 2 I should load Disc 1 to get the DVD-Audio. However when I do I only get the CD version. Disc 2 has the DTS version (which works fine) and some Advanced Resolution 5.1 (?) that does not run at all. All my other Porcupine Tree DVD-Audio discs work fine so does anyone have any ideas whats wrong with the SW released on DVDA in 5.1??

Just for info I'm using a Oppo DVD player.

Much thanks,

VanPT

What do you mean - you get the CD version on the DVDA?

As far as some players not running the Advanced Resolution, this is all firmware related, and possibly also because of the 16:9 aspect ratio, it seems. Why?
I have seen this on 3 different players:
Pioneer 578 - firmware update will sort this out though.
Oppo OPDV971H
Yamaha DVD S657
In all of these players, the exact same project compiled to a 4:3 disc will play perfectly.
Do not ask me why this is.

I think Pioneer was making you send the player in for firmware instead of providing a disc or a download. there was a firmware floating around here for the Pioneer 563 which I still have. I'm not sure if it would work with the 578 however. When I used the firmware on the Pioneer 563 a year or so ago it cleared up my dvd-a playback problems (only a couple discs had any problems). If anyone wants the firmware send me a PM with your email address and I will send it. Still waiting for my copy of INsurgentes, finally got a shiipping notice.

What do you mean - you get the CD version on the DVDA?

As far as some players not running the Advanced Resolution, this is all firmware related, and possibly also because of the 16:9 aspect ratio, it seems. Why?
I have seen this on 3 different players:
Pioneer 578 - firmware update will sort this out though.
Oppo OPDV971H
Yamaha DVD S657
In all of these players, the exact same project compiled to a 4:3 disc will play perfectly.
Do not ask me why this is.

Thanks for your response Neil.

To clarify what I meant. If you look at the top of the Insurgentes discs #2 it says this:

1 - For DVD-Audio players only
Advanced Resolution 5.1 of Insurgentes (24/48 resolution)
Advanced Resolution stereo of Insurgentes (24/48 resolution)

2 - For DVD - Audio & DVD Video players
DTS 5.1 of Insurgentes
24 bit stereo LPCM

So I'm assuming they are referring to the Disc numbers when they say 1 and 2 right? But when I place Disc 1 into my Oppo DV-970HD, it immediately goes to CD and plays the disc as a normal CD, no menu nothing.

When I place Disc 2 in I get the menu which allows me to select Audio settings. In there if I choose Advanced Resolution 5.1 it will not start, freezes on the playlist screen.

When you say setting "compiled" to 4:3 do you mean switching the resolution in the Oppo's settings menu? If so I tried that and it did not do anything.

As a side note, when I load Disc 2 and the main menu fades in the fourth option is labelled as "Extras" and then switches to "Credits" when fully loaded. Is there Extras on this disc that these problems may be preventing me from seeing/ hearing?

I'm trying to narrow down whether this is an issue with my player of perhaps that I have a bad disc and need to exchange it.

Thanks for any suggestions....

Dennis

1 and 2 on the second disk are referring to programs 1 and 2 on that disk. Disk 1 is the CD. Disk 2 has both the DVD-Video and the DVD-Audio programs on it.

Oppo is good about providing firmware to download from their website. Check to see if you have the latest firmware for your player.

It's a shame that DVD-A didn't stick around long enough to get all the kinks worked out. I've had 3 universal players, each more expensive than the last, and NONE of them have played every disc flawlessly. The Denon has come the closest...

Unfortunately, this disc does not play the DVD-A layer on my Pioneer 578A. The menu is fine. This is the first DVD-A disc that I've had touble with.

However, the DTS layer is quite fine. :phones

I'll have to try the firmware update. I was always leery to try it, since it was meant for the 563. This was a few years ago.

Is there a later one?

edit: Should have read the ABOVE POSTS.

DTS is great, so far.

There is a 575 firmware update which "DigiPete" claimed that he used to update the 578 successfully:
Comments from thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-525461.html
DigiPete
05-13-05, 01:49 AM
I updated my 578a with the 2.09 firmware for the 575 with no ill effects.
My unit remained region 1. I don't think this update affects the region.

Firmware location that DigiPete used:
http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dv575/dv575.htm
The link is near bottom of page.

If I don't get any satisfaction from Pioneer I'm going to give this a shot.

1 and 2 on the second disk are referring to programs 1 and 2 on that disk. Disk 1 is the CD. Disk 2 has both the DVD-Video and the DVD-Audio programs on it.

Ahh ok, got it. That makes sense, though quite confusing.

I'm kind of screwed when it comes to the firmware as I have already updated the Oppo to play over component (due to my Rotel processor) which prevents me from updating any firmware as it will reset back to HDMI for all my upscaling to 720p or 1080i. So I may be out of luck as the firmware may solve my issues.

Like Bob wrote though, at least I have the DTS version..:)

Thanks all for your input.

Well I didn't wait for Pioneer's response after all. I downloaded the firmware from my previous post and successfully upgraded my 578A.

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

I can play the Insurgentes dvd-a now and it even fixed up an issue I was having with David Crosby's IICORMN.

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Figures they would! It might make Mike Mettler forget his recent vinyl fixation for just a little while.

If we had about 10-12 releases like this, the industry's surround amnesia might subside and value would present itself.

"Extras are equally stunning: 18 minutes of visually adventurous excerpts from an upcoming long-form making-of documentary, two album trailers, and five additional 5.1 tracks. "

Um, I don't see the 5 additional 5.1 tracks on my copy, am I missing something?

The review is wrong, there are no 5 additional 5.1 tracks. The limited edition set did come with a CD of the 5 extra tracks though.

Is the version commonly available (non limited edition, from Amazon Canada for example) in a slipcased super jewel box like Lightbulb Sun?

Back