1972 Navy Exchange Catalog Scans (Large Files!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
1972 - Vietnam, Nixon, everything that goes with that time. Quad was just starting. CD-4 was the latest and greatest, but barely out there.

This thread includes scans from a Pacific Navy Exchange Mail Order catalog. This one was not mine, I was not there at this time, but it was given to me a long time ago by someone who was there. The quad stuff is very interesting to look at (at least for me), so I decided to share it with you.

I'm sure it will bring back a lot of memories, especially to ex-military guys. And for the newer guys, it gives you a peek at what was out there in 1972 and what it might like to be in your rack at night, personal light on, shades drawn, and dreaming of what you wanted to buy from this catalog.

Please comment on the items and the times. It should make for some good discussion.

What would YOU have ordered? :D
catalog cover.jpg

For a real hoot, you should see the cameras, TVs, cassette decks, and other old crap in this thing! :D

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the pictures. When I get a chance, I will do the same thing with my 1977 Navex Catalog. That one has the most "modern" quad stuff of the era.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Remember, the prices shown are 1972 MILITARY PRICES!!! They are substantially discounted from the "regular retail price".

wow! what a treasure! It sure paid to be in the service in those days! I remember a PX in Frankfort Germany that had tons of equipment that was not available many other places. It was because of these guys bringing this stuff home, most of us ( at the time) got educated about quad/ and well made stereo equipment. at least where I hail from, there was no where to get good quality equipment. and if you did find it it was expensive.

Last edited:
Thanks Jon for the trip down memory lane, I loved the Navy exchange catalog and store.I enlisted in 71 and after bootcamp was shipped to the gunline in Vietnam on a destroyer (USS Everette F. Larson DD-830).My first purchase in the Phillipines PX (Subic Bay) was a Sansui 5000X,Gerrard Zero 100 TT and 2 SP-3500 speakers.I gave that equipment to my dad in exchange for a 1954 Corvette that he owned that needed restoring,but thats another tale.I then discovered quad by then so my next trip over I went for the Sansui QRX-7500 and the SP2500X spreakers all of which I still use.I kinda wish I was there a little later so I could have got that 9001,but no way was I going to re-enlist.I got out in 75,by the way the cost for the QRX was $380 at the PX.

i see 'my' sony tc-277 quad r2r is in there. it was my first:banana:. (blushes).
bought it jan '73 at either camp zama px or yakusaka naval base bx, both near tokyo. don't remember which. used to shop at both back in the day.

As an Air Force member stationed overseas most of my career I always sought out the NEX catalog because it had much more "guy" stuff than the AAFES catalog did. The AAFES catalog was aimed more at families and their wants and needs whereas the NEX catalog seemed more orientated towards the wants and needs of the single Sailor.

Justin

Comparing the JVC demod here to the '77 edition, it didn't change much except cosmetically, far as I can tell. Had two of those at one point, slightly different but same basic design.

Did anyone ever find a GOOD, decent set of quad headphones? I remember having a Koss set, but those were prone to the wiring getting loose, and fixing them was a pain in the ass (or ears). Not sure anyone ever got that quite right, and there isn't (AFAIK) a reference set of 5.1 or similar-type cans around today.

ED :)

Comparing the JVC demod here to the '77 edition, it didn't change much except cosmetically, far as I can tell. Had two of those at one point, slightly different but same basic design.

Did anyone ever find a GOOD, decent set of quad headphones? I remember having a Koss set, but those were prone to the wiring getting loose, and fixing them was a pain in the ass (or ears). Not sure anyone ever got that quite right, and there isn't (AFAIK) a reference set of 5.1 or similar-type cans around today.

ED :)

Ed, I really can't find any cosmetical difference from the two JVC models on those pictures, but I'd like to know how different were yours :)

I have two pairs of quad headphones, Lafayette and a Toshiba where the latter are very good both in quad and stereo.

The difference is in the cabinet sides: older is wood, newer is metal or plastic.

Made a liberty call in Yakuska what a great place :brew .
sure was. the whole tokyo area was. and from what i heard, all of japan was (is?) a great place.
he!!, i used to go skiing on mt. fuji on my days off.
never did ride on the bullet train, tho, even tho it was up and running and only a few miles (klics) away. that is somewhat of a regret.

olongapo1.jpg

Decades ago... Was it building B-7??? All Subic Navy base buildings had numbers. It was the groovy Navy Exchange (Navy version of the army's PX) chock-full of WesPac goodies (Western Pacific... a tour via warship to ... the Pacific Ocean area west of the international date line... the Realm of the Golden Dragon).

My budget demanded sticking to stereo. I still have and use the Technics SL-1300 turntable bought in 1975.

The audio room had dim lights allowing the goodies to shine their lovely lit-up faces.

We bought in advance and after the 9-months holding back the Commie Hordes (tm) in Oriental waters we made a last stop in Subic and mega-pallets of purchased items, loaded it aboard the ship, and scurried back to the "real world."

Stuff was stashed everywhere!!!!

Atop the helo hanger, here, there, everywhere!!!

I am surprised all that extra weight didn't result in this:

jlm-navy-destroyersinking.jpg

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Channel fever" the thoughts and anticipation of pulling into San Diego after months away from the USA. Part of the feeling for some was the excitement of grabbing those Wes Pac goodies and toting them home and using our treasures.

ffg.jpg

rushing home!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great fun!!!!!

Sigh......

"If I only knew then what I know now."

But, the pay for military folks in that era was sub-par... compared to the improvements that came later.

And, many of us were from the lower levels of the socio-economic hierarchy without wealth behind us to assist in buying goodies.

Oh well.

Thanks for posting the catalog.

It brought back memories from my youth.

Hey!!!!!!!!

Any of you hombres ever see the "hard hats" out in Olongapo doing the shore patrol thing? 1975... I was the one "regular" shore patrol in dress whites accompanying those guys in cammo-type attire.

Back