Pink Floyd-Pompeii Professionally transferred from a 4-track, 35mm CinemaScope print

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Anderson

Staff member
I recently saw a post for Pink Floyd - Pompeii Professionally transferred from a 4-track, 35mm CinemaScope print. This being a much discussed title along with some other movie quad releases, I had to give it a try and am very pleased with the result. Unfortunately the family was home so could not use the sound system to totally scrutinize at the time. Would love to hear others opinions on it's authenticity. Has Anyone run across this?

"Pink Floyd: Pompeii Discreet Quadraphonic 4.0 DVD-Audio. Professionally transferred from a 4-track, 35mm CinemaScope print on June 28th, 2012 in Los Angeles, California. Audio remastered by "Jimfisheye". DVD-Video, Raw DVD-A, and Bluray releases to follow.

Intro
Echoes (Part One)
Careful With That Axe, Eugene
A Saucerful of Secrets
One of These Days (I'm Going to Cut You Into Little Pieces)
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
Mademoiselle Nobs
Echoes (Part Two)"

I downloaded it last night, but won't have time to listen to it until later today. Very excited. Been waiting for this for a while (I donated to the transfer project a few months ago.). Figured it would be wise to download it while the opportunity was there, seeing as the 'noid is gone and Pirate Bay goes down every couple of months it seems.

Mod Note:

You may discuss this title, but Do Not discuss where to get this here. What you do in PM's is your business and you may offer folks to PM you, as we have no control over what folks discuss in private.

FYI folks, there is Google.

Last edited:
Got it. Sorry about that, won't happen again.

No worries. BTW folks, must have title.

P.S. Will absolutely buy an official version if it should ever come out.

EDIT: It is the Real Deal, and sounds great. Everything one would expect and as close as to a vintage live Quadraphonic Pink Floyd concert as we're likely ever to get. At times there are multiple 3-D landscapes going on. Perfect to play on a loop when giving out Halloween candy tomorrow.

Like quadaholic, I've grabbed it while it's going strong (although it's sure to be on other sources soon), but won't have a chance to listen until the weekend.

Although, I could play it tonight while NOT handing out Halloween candy ...

We need to be very thankful and grateful that folks out there went to the trouble to track this down. We're losing our 20th century art forms now in this century.

The last official edition they sold us on DVD (which I bought) was a complete crap copy, what looked like it came from the 4:3 laserdisc. THIS COULD have been lost forever and was thought to be due to Band/Record company negligence.

Some very impressive work done here considering the source. Sound quality is near excellent. DVD and Blu-ray versions to follow but I'm really digging the DVD-A for now. I heard that the director, Adrian Maben, was contacted and knows about this project and is considering incorporating the quad audio into a Blu-ray release is he can get distributors interested.

My dream would be to buy the official blu-ray release with restored video and Steven Wilson's 5.1 mix along with the original quad mix.

Some very impressive work done here considering the source. Sound quality is near excellent. DVD and Blu-ray versions to follow but I'm really digging the DVD-A for now. I heard that the director, Adrian Maben, was contacted and knows about this project and is considering incorporating the quad audio into a Blu-ray release is he can get distributors interested.

Rontoon is correct. Blu Ray authoring is underway as we speak. Video will be only DVD quality, but the audio will be 4.0 PCM. It will be the original theatrical release with the DSOTM footage.

A_L

Rontoon is correct. Blu Ray authoring is underway as we speak. Video will be only DVD quality, but the audio will be 4.0 PCM. It will be the original theatrical release with the DSOTM footage.

A_L

Where are we likely to be able to find this when it is finished? I read QQ occasionally and see people talking about having done hundreds of conversions, and I can never find a single one of them. Clearly there is a distribution problem.

A_L

Why DVD only quality, is it for lack of access to a HD film scanner? I work for a company that has a 4K Spirit scanner and Baselight grading suite if they want a proper HD version done...

Finally got the DVD-A setup plugged in this morning. Starting to make my way through the tracks and am very psyched. Audio is a little battered at times but very beautiful nonetheless. So happy that this has finally surfaced. The original masters have to be out there somewhere, and maybe this will light a fire under David and Rogers butt to find them. Hey, if they keep finding missing pieces of "Metropolis", anythings possible. In any event, this has made my week. Fantastic.

The only thing that would set a fire under Roger's and David's butts these days, especially regarding Pompeii, would have to be an actual fire. Just like the WYWH cover.

Finally got the DVD-A setup plugged in this morning. Starting to make my way through the tracks and am very psyched. Audio is a little battered at times but very beautiful nonetheless. So happy that this has finally surfaced. The original masters have to be out there somewhere, and maybe this will light a fire under David and Rogers butt to find them. Hey, if they keep finding missing pieces of "Metropolis", anythings possible. In any event, this has made my week. Fantastic.

The missing pieces of Metropolis keep turning up in various different prints. There can be any number of these. There is probably only one master tape for the Pompeii audio, it either exists or it doesn't. It is amazing to me how careless some groups seem to be with this sort of stuff.

Edit: and if the multitrack original recordings exist then they'd probably produce a new 5.1 mix by James Guthrie instead of just distributing a potentially better existing 4.0 mix (eg. Dark Side Of The Moon).

...and if the multitrack original recordings exist then they'd probably produce a new 5.1 mix by James Guthrie instead of just distributing a potentially better existing 4.0 mix (eg. Dark Side Of The Moon).
Agreed. If Pompeii was to see a Blu-ray release Guthrie would probably be creating a new 5.1 mix. Hopefully there would be room for the original quad mix as well.

Audio is a little battered at times but very beautiful nonetheless. So happy that this has finally surfaced.

+1

I was able to play it to midway through Set The Controls cranked up nicely while the wife and daughter were at ballet last night. Can't wait to hear the 2nd part of Echoes!

+1

I was able to play it to midway through Set The Controls cranked up nicely while the wife and daughter were at ballet last night. Can't wait to hear the 2nd part of Echoes!

Is there some secret club I'm not a member of? I still haven't managed to find a single download for anything discussed on QQ, including this Pink Floyd. I've seen people say they're retiring after doing 700 plus conversions. What was the point of doing even 1 if only a select inner circle can find them? I've asked people to PM me download links in the past or point me at whatever forum I've failed to notice, but always without success. Only the wonderful Oxford Dickie makes it actually possible to find his conversions, and they're not even on QQ. Is QQ actually relevant?

(Sorry, getting more than a little annoyed at never being able to find anything.)

Is there some secret club I'm not a member of? I still haven't managed to find a single download for anything discussed on QQ, including this Pink Floyd. I've seen people say they're retiring after doing 700 plus conversions. What was the point of doing even 1 if only a select inner circle can find them? I've asked people to PM me download links in the past or point me at whatever forum I've failed to notice, but always without success. Only the wonderful Oxford Dickie makes it actually possible to find his conversions, and they're not even on QQ. Is QQ actually relevant?

(Sorry, getting more than a little annoyed at never being able to find anything.)

You can stop crying now... I sent you a PM. ;)

Why DVD only quality, is it for lack of access to a HD film scanner? I work for a company that has a 4K Spirit scanner and Baselight grading suite if they want a proper HD version done...
It's an old, crappy, beat up print. What would be the point in scanning this in HD? The producers are just going to use the image from the DVD for the DVD and Blu-ray versions. There's no HD available but this release isn't about the video, it's all about the audio.

Back