Patrick Zimmerli - Phoenix - 5.0 SACD - WOW!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ogrequad

Hi all,

I haven't posted in a long while, but I thought I'd share a recent surround release that I am absolutely loving. It's a 2005 SACD release called "Phoenix" by Patrick Zimmerli, a composer/saxophonist whom I had never heard of before buying this disc. I stumbled upon a listing for the disc on Amazon, checked out a few samples, and decided to buy it on a whim - only $8.99 new, so I figured it was worth a shot.

Well, this was one of the best musical surprises I have had in a while, because this is a top-notch surround release in all respects. Musically, it falls into the jazz/classical realm (all-instrumental), with some avant-garde touches and even little bits of electronica here and there. This may turn some people off, but I assure you it is all very listenable - nothing too weird or out-there at all. Some of it even reminds me of Zappa's The Yellow Shark.

The big surprise, though, is the surround mix, which is VERY discrete. All five channels get heavy workouts on every song, and there are even some 70s quad moments, with instruments bouncing from channel to channel - just the way I like my surround mixes!

Fidelity is outstanding - 24/48 digital recording mixed to SACD 2.0 and 5.0. This really is a reference-quality disc and it's still available for only $8.99 at Amazon. Highly, highly recommended!!

Hi all,

I haven't posted in a long while, but I thought I'd share a recent surround release that I am absolutely loving. It's a 2005 SACD release called "Phoenix" by Patrick Zimmerli, a composer/saxophonist whom I had never heard of before buying this disc. I stumbled upon a listing for the disc on Amazon, checked out a few samples, and decided to buy it on a whim - only $8.99 new, so I figured it was worth a shot.

Well, this was one of the best musical surprises I have had in a while, because this is a top-notch surround release in all respects. Musically, it falls into the jazz/classical realm (all-instrumental), with some avant-garde touches and even little bits of electronica here and there. This may turn some people off, but I assure you it is all very listenable - nothing too weird or out-there at all. Some of it even reminds me of Zappa's The Yellow Shark.

The big surprise, though, is the surround mix, which is VERY discrete. All five channels get heavy workouts on every song, and there are even some 70s quad moments, with instruments bouncing from channel to channel - just the way I like my surround mixes!

Fidelity is outstanding - 24/48 digital recording mixed to SACD 2.0 and 5.0. This really is a reference-quality disc and it's still available for only $8.99 at Amazon. Highly, highly recommended!!

The only thing I find for $8.99 is an audio CD...no word about it being SACD. Do you have a link that you are sure is an SACD? I'd buy it...

I've always loved the Canadian Songlines Jazz Label. The recordings [99% multichannel] are fantastic and the prices have always been on the affordable side.

Agreed. The mixes are generally conservative (read: ambient), but well recorded. And they tend to record artists whose music is both challenging and tuneful. I can recommend the releases by Michael Blake, Theo Bleckmann, James Carney, Wayne Horvitz, and Brad Shepik. Sadly, Songlines is out of the surround game now--although they're still in business.

Agreed. The mixes are generally conservative (read: ambient), but well recorded. And they tend to record artists whose music is both challenging and tuneful. I can recommend the releases by Michael Blake, Theo Bleckmann, James Carney, Wayne Horvitz, and Brad Shepik. Sadly, Songlines is out of the surround game now--although they're still in business.

Thanks for the recommendations! Are there any in that list (or elsewhere in their catalog) that are more adventurous, mix-wise? The Zimmerli SACD is FAR from conservative, so I'm looking for mixes along that line that make full use of surround capabilities.

I've always loved the Canadian Songlines Jazz Label. The recordings [99% multichannel] are fantastic and the prices have always been on the affordable side.

Here's a list from HRAudio.net of all the Songlines SACDs, some with reviews: https://www.hraudio.net/search.php?format=0&keywords=songlines

Another highly recommended title: https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=1835

How is the mix on that Aros release? Is it multichannel? Samples sound interesting, but I can't find anything about the mix. Again, I'm looking for mixes on the adventurous, rather than ambient, side. Thanks!

How is the mix on that Aros release? Is it multichannel? Samples sound interesting, but I can't find anything about the mix. Again, I'm looking for mixes on the adventurous, rather than ambient, side. Thanks!

I'll have to dig it out of my pile [:yikes] but I know it was a DSD recording and sounds sumptuous [5.0]. Only a few left @ Amazon [actually one].......I think you'll like it!

Here's a review of the album: https://www.allaboutjazz.com/train-song-aros-songlines-recordings-review-by-aaj-staff.php

Thanks for the recommendations! Are there any in that list (or elsewhere in their catalog) that are more adventurous, mix-wise? The Zimmerli SACD is FAR from conservative, so I'm looking for mixes along that line that make full use of surround capabilities.

Off the top of my head: I know Michael Blake's Amor de Cosmos has some discrete instrumental placement--and Carney's Ways & Means. The Shepiks feel quite immersive, as I remember, even if they're not wildly discrete. The Horvitz "Gravitas" albums may well have more going on than I'm remembering; it's just that they're very much "chamber jazz."

[Edit: listening again to Blake this morning and looking over my spreadsheet notes for those other discs makes me want to walk back that "ambient" remark altogether...!]

I'll have to dig it out of my pile [:yikes] but I know it was a DSD recording and sounds sumptuous [5.0]. Only a few left @ Amazon [actually one].......I think you'll like it!

Here's a review of the album: https://www.allaboutjazz.com/train-song-aros-songlines-recordings-review-by-aaj-staff.php

AROS "Train Songs" arrived today and this is another fantastic release....The fidelity is breathtaking and the multichannel mix is outstanding so far. The opening tune ends with a percussion jam in the rear speakers that is just incredible.

I also found a used copy of Brad Shepik "Human Activity Suite" (another Songlines 5.0/2.0 SACD) at my local CD store today! This could get addictive...

Hi all,

Great recommendation OG ! Spot on its a Fantastic immersive mix BTW it’s still available cheap at the river ??

Back