Sony SCD-C222ES SACD Multi-Channel Player found today at thrift store for $29.99

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
This model is a 5 disc changer which I have not owned one in a decade but used to enjoy. The SCD-C222ES SACD tends to be offered up in the $80 to $129.00 price range when remote control is included.

So while I got a deal at $29.99, this is not exactly their top of the line multi-channel disc spinner. Sound quality is very nice, seems a tad more open than my Denon, which I like. The old Denon seems dark on SACD (but not on DVD-A).

I just thought with all this talk about SACD players not being so common that I would grab my 3rd player, and stash it in the bedroom system rack.

It has analogue outs but, no HDMI in/outs here.

Well to follow up on this unit. I played the D/V Derringer SACD this past weekend setting up this unit. Sounded fine, like really great in 4.0 quad. And after that it got harder to get the unit to accept multichannel layer or SACD layers on discs.

I'm going to clean the laser with cotton and alcohol and see if reading improves. But this is also known to happen before a laser assembly completely dies out for good. Sometimes cleaning helps, other times not.

Well to follow up on this unit. I played the D/V Derringer SACD this past weekend setting up this unit. Sounded fine, like really great in 4.0 quad. And after that it got harder to get the unit to accept multichannel layer or SACD layers on discs.

I'm going to clean the laser with cotton and alcohol and see if reading improves. But this is also known to happen before a laser assembly completely dies out for good. Sometimes cleaning helps, other times not.
Good news, I opened up the unit and cleaned the laser beam eye, and player is now recognizing all SACD discs except for one. The Billy Joel Streetside Serenade SACD from AF comes up as CD (not SACD) every time I try. All other SACDs so far are coming up as SACD Multi-chan discs.

Yipee-Yay yeah!! I feel much better about this now. I had even gone onto eBay and bough the remote control for this unit. So that would have have been a bummer and wasted effort and cash.

Ok the good deals are still appearing at thrift stores.

Today I grabbed a Denon AVR-3300 which is a 7 channel AVR originally from 1999. 110 watts per chan. Original list price was $1,199. Only $19.99 (goes for $120 on the used market when found). Goodwill offers 7 day returns if anything is wrong.

This kind of gear is being dumped more often because there is no HDMI input nor output on it, rather than a problem like channels being burned out, or bad background noises. In fact I read reviews stating that this model has outstanding sound quality. It's going to make a great 5.1 bedroom system if it passes all tests.

I had to go to work this evening and only got to test it out in one way. And that I I hooked up headphones and a turntable to it and tested that. Sound was crystal clear and amp turned all the way up with no record playing showed a very quiet sounding amp so far.

This is more powerful than my Onkyo in living room. I may have to switch this one to main rig if all systems check out good within the next three days.

I'm going to connect up the (previously mentioned
Sony SCD-C222ES SACD player to this new used AVR and see how it does with 5.1. Like load up 5 discs and turn up the volume to nice room filling levels and let it rip for 5 or 6 hours nonstop.

I will be reporting back shortly on success or failure. But this must be the lowest cost SACD player and 7 channel AVR combo seen round these parts to date. 110 w per chan baby!!!!!

Back