Dual Disc A new article on DualDisc....no, really!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DVD-A and Audio-DVD are the longest lasting formats for surround. Great sounding and plenty of titles, more comparability than SACD. And we are still seeing DVDs with music titles. The big deluxe box sets are including BR or DVD, but no SACDs that I know of.

DVD-A and Audio-DVD are the longest lasting formats for surround. Great sounding and plenty of titles, more comparability than SACD. And we are still seeing DVDs with music titles. The big deluxe box sets are including BR or DVD, but no SACDs that I know of.

SACDs are included in the upcoming big boxsets for the Rolling Stones (Let It Bleed; 2 x SACDs) and Gene Clark (No Other; 3 x SACDs).

i personally have no format preference so long as we keep getting Hi-Res & Surround but i feel writing off SACD at this stage of the game would be a mistake.

There are some dualdiscs that are stereo only on the dvd side. I did not know the standards called for surround sound. So they were out of compliance?

I am happy to find these when I can.

There are some dualdiscs that are stereo only on the dvd side. I did not know the standards called for surround sound. So they were out of compliance?

I am happy to find these when I can.

The Dual Disc spec allowed for Stereo and Multichannel audio on the DVD side of the DDs.
The part that was out of spec was the CD side - hence the warnings from a variety of audio companies that their optical disc players may not be able to play the CD side of the DDs.

I feel writing off SACD at this stage of the game would be a mistake.

New SACDs come out every week. Much more activity with SACD releases these days than the Dual Disc and DVD Audio Multichannel optical disc formats .
SACDs haven't been written off by the independent record labels so far (20+ years and going as noted earlier in this thread).

Back