Stuff that sounds amazing with the Surround Master

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some great music and numerous discrete surround elements in the rear channels.
I miss Lowell's talents- every... single... day!

thanks I'll eat it here
TIEIH-LG.jpg

Last edited:
Add Chicago II Steven Wilson remix to this list. This stereo remix is demo quality material for the Surround Master V2. There are some really discrete components, such as on Wake Up Sunshine. On this track you can most definitely hear Cetera singing, "Can't have you hidin,"only from the left front speaker. The horns are especially treated with love by the SM and typically places them all around the room.

The only disappointment is 25 or 6 to 4. :( Like the original stereo, this remix still lack balls compared to the 5.1 DVD-A and the Quadio. I guess Wilson wanted to remain true to the original. The track still has a lot for the SM to work with, especially the horns, but the guitars are...blah.

Other than 25 or 6 to 4, I strongly prefer the Wilson remix through the SM vs. the 5.1 DVD-A. Not only is the surround field of the Wilson remix more satisfying, but the tonal quality is nicer than the DVD-A. I've always considered the DVD-A of this album to have a bit of an edge to it. However, don't compare this Wilson remix to the Quadio of this album. From all perspectives (mix, fidelity, tonality, etc,) that Quadio remains the gold standard for this album.

One last thing, I sampled the remix in pure stereo for a few minutes. It definitely has a three-dimensionality to it which is probably why it decodes so well through the Surround Master.

That's an interesting & impressive list. Half of the slections I've never heard of, & the other half I might have in discrete surround or stereo. I have an intrinsic dislike for things like Spotify, charging $10/month for nothing more than 320k MP3. But still I guess I will open free account to sample the songs & look hard for the new stuff I like in higher quality source. At any rate thanks for tipping us off, I'm sure you know best what sounds amazing on the Surround Master!

Add Chicago II Steven Wilson remix to this list. This stereo remix is demo quality material for the Surround Master V2. There are some really discrete components, such as on Wake Up Sunshine. On this track you can most definitely hear Cetera singing, "Can't have you hidin,"only from the left front speaker. The horns are especially treated with love by the SM and typically places them all around the room.

The only disappointment is 25 or 6 to 4. :( Like the original stereo, this remix still lack balls compared to the 5.1 DVD-A and the Quadio. I guess Wilson wanted to remain true to the original. The track still has a lot for the SM to work with, especially the horns, but the guitars are...blah.

Other than 25 or 6 to 4, I strongly prefer the Wilson remix through the SM vs. the 5.1 DVD-A. Not only is the surround field of the Wilson remix more satisfying, but the tonal quality is nicer than the DVD-A. I've always considered the DVD-A of this album to have a bit of an edge to it. However, don't compare this Wilson remix to the Quadio of this album. From all perspectives (mix, fidelity, tonality, etc,) that Quadio remains the gold standard for this album.

One last thing, I sampled the remix in pure stereo for a few minutes. It definitely has a three-dimensionality to it which is probably why it decodes so well through the Surround Master.

As much as I love Steve Wilson's remixes, stereo and surround I'm happy you verified that the BD~A Quadio version of Chicago II remains the Gold Standard. Since I don't have the SM v.2 [or I], I can in all conscience 'skip' the new SW Chicago II RBCD remix. Thanks ar.

I wonder if they 'corrected' the 'botched" CTA Stereo remix yet. Again, I consider the BD~A Quadio version of CTA to be a gold standard .... certainly superior, IMO, to the Rhino DTS 4.0 version [at least on MY system].

Wonder if they're going to order new stereo remixes of all the Chicago albums? IMO, why doesn't RHINO just release the LONG [LONG] anticipatedf Doobies BD~A Quadio boxset...and throw in some newly remixed STEREO DOOBIES in HI RES for GOOD measure?

Last edited:
Not an owner, but I'm getting wild action from the 2.0 96 / 24 LPCM instrumental mixes on Psurroundabout Ride in DPL II.
Surround pan at the end of What In The World??...

Noticing layers of trippy tracks & effects that weren't as apparent on the 5.1 vocal mix.

Not an owner, but I'm getting wild action from the 2.0 96 / 24 LPCM instrumental mixes on Psurroundabout Ride in DPL II.
Surround pan at the end of What In The World??...

Noticing layers of trippy tracks & effects that weren't as apparent on the 5.1 vocal mix.
Seriously @~dave~~wave~ you should consider a spankin' new Involve Surround Master v2!
I don't remember having this much fun in a long time- with my clothes on. ;)

Seriously @~dave~~wave~ you should consider a spankin' new Involve Surround Master v2!
I don't remember having this much fun in a long time- with my clothes on. ;)
Roger that!
Ya know it's been mentioned & proven that DPL II can be set for very close QS decoding. My own test signals verify that. That is the way I have done most all of my casual S2S listening since DPL II came out. But each & every time I make a comparison between the SM & DPL II, the latter always sounds muddy & congested compared to the SM. The SM just sounds so alive & distinct. I have never used DPL II since getting the SM v2 except to compare.

Back