Definitive formats for all Titles ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have players that play SACD, DVD-A and Blu Ray so I don't mind what format an album is in so long as it sounds good :)
I'd guess most of us here have at least one player of SACD/DVD-A discs with analog mch outputs. The problem is that they are old and prone to fail.

My LD player failed a couple of weeks ago. It is my preferred CD player. Will open it and check for obvious things (dirty lens), but I have little hope.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Last edited:
I'm very happy to have all three, I have favorites in each format, and thanks to a universal player, I have numerous discs that are Demo worthy. A special thanks to the companies that have enabled the present and future releases of MCH Sacds! Especially D-V

In my opinion the Oppo BDP-103 is at the sweet spot for a good quality used universal player at around $450 U.S; and I'd bet they hold their value very well. About a year ago I believe they were averaging about $400, so they are actually going up in value!
I've always believed that the classical community has kept the SACD format alive all this time; giving the other genres another option as to a place to land as they get released. So for me it's "Big Cheers for the Classical Community" - Thank You all!!!

In my opinion the Oppo BDP-103 is at the sweet spot for a good quality used universal player at around $450 U.S; and I'd bet they hold their value very well. About a year ago I believe they were averaging about $400, so they are actually going up in value!
I've always believed that the classical community has kept the SACD format alive all this time; giving the other genres another option as to a place to land as they get released. So for me it's "Big Cheers for the Classical Community" - Thank You all!!!

Right on, Pupster 🐶 and when those commies hack our grids even those fortunate enough to store ALL their music in the CLOUD will be twiddling their thumbs and making rudimentary music by clanging two spoons together!

Last edited:
Right on, Pupster 🐶 and when those commies hack our grids even those fortunate enough to store ALL their music in the CLOUD will be twindling their thumbs and making rudimentary music by clanging two spoons together!

BTW, TRUE STORY .... I just received a call from APPLE SUPPORT that my CLOUD ACCOUNT has been breached. Hell, I dont have an APPLE CLOUD ACCOUNT.....or do I?

BTW, TRUE STORY .... I just received a call from APPLE SUPPORT that my CLOUD ACCOUNT has been breached. Hell, I dont have an APPLE CLOUD ACCOUNT.....or do I?

Make sure that they are actually Apple. So many fakes out there, like the morons who call saying that they are from Microsoft and they have discovered a virus on your computer. Yeah, right. Sadly, people fall for that shit all of the time,

Make sure that they are actually Apple. So many fakes out there, like the morons who call saying that they are from Microsoft and they have discovered a virus on your computer. Yeah, right. Sadly, people fall for that shit all of the time,

I think you are right, Jon. My female employee told me to ignore the call, as well. WAYYYYYY too many scams today. Thanks!

I'd guess most of use here have at least one player of SACD/DVD-A discs with analog mch outputs. The problem is that they are old and prone to fail.

My LD player failed a couple of weeks ago. It is my preferred CD player. Will open it and check for obvious things (dirty lens), but I have little hope.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
This is one of the major reasons I prefer BD as a format. Don't need any hacked/modded out of production player to rip. Any PC with a generic BD drive will work. No need to worry about that oppo103/PS3 drive dying.

This is one of the major reasons I prefer BD as a format. Don't need any hacked/modded out of production player to rip. Any PC with a generic BD drive will work. No need to worry about that oppo103/PS3 drive dying.
It's one of the reasons to just rip it all. Physical formats are entering the twilight zone.

AF's final output and DV, to me, have resurrected it for the non-classical/non-World Music market, so to me they get a lot of the credit for it's resurgence. So let's raise a toast to SACD, a true survivor against all odds - even after being dumped by it's creator!
I do think that when a Sony or Warner sees requests coming in from AF or DV for the old quad mixes for SACD reissues, it must make them stop and think about 4.0 possibilities they have not previously considered.

Basically AF and DV have breathed life into both SACD, and old 4.0 Quad in a way few others have. It's the big names, well known album titles, hit songs, major label catalogs that they were able to license. To continue a good decade later where DTS Entertainment left off is quite remarkable. As I've mentioned, I saved some still sealed copies of of 4.0 SACDs titles that went out of print already, and I would like to sell them off one day, but I like them, and like having them and I'm not ready to part with any right now.

Quadraphonic SACDs are old technology meeting later tech in the best way, truly beautiful to behold.

I've pondered this before, to help newcomers to surround or just wanting to make an informed purchase. What is the best release to buy so you can have a collection with the best mix and or features.
For example the Beck "Sea Change" title has 3 surround sound options, DVD-Audio, Sacd and Blu-Ray. Since I've never owned all of these to compare audio, I'd advise the DVD-Audio version because of the videos included.
Queen "A Night at the Opera" I own all the Surround released and recommend the 1st release over the 2005 mix, (but I still prefer Blu-Ray format over others). The 2001 Scheiner mix may be hard to acquire.
Most of the earlier DVD-Audio's we're then released on the Sacd format and mixes didn't change, so you buy the one that's cheaper or readily available.
Not all have multiple format surround releases
Besides Deep Purple Machine Head the consensus is the EMI Sacd Quad release what about these....
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
L.A. Woman
Gaucho
AB Fillmore East
Etc.

I've pondered this before, to help newcomers to surround or just wanting to make an informed purchase. What is the best release to buy so you can have a collection with the best mix and or features.
For example the Beck "Sea Change" title has 3 surround sound options, DVD-Audio, Sacd and Blu-Ray. Since I've never owned all of these to compare audio, I'd advise the DVD-Audio version because of the videos included.
Queen "A Night at the Opera" I own all the Surround released and recommend the 1st release over the 2005 mix, (but I still prefer Blu-Ray format over others). The 2001 Scheiner mix may be hard to acquire.
Most of the earlier DVD-Audio's we're then released on the Sacd format and mixes didn't change, so you buy the one that's cheaper or readily available.
Besides Deep Purple Machine Head the consensus is the EMI Sacd Quad release what about these....
L.A. Woman
Gaucho
AB Fillmore East
Etc.
I like SACD's the best because I'm lazy. No menu to deal with. Put them in and they play....

L.A. Woman
Gaucho
AB Fillmore East
Etc.
I like SACD's the best because I'm lazy. No menu to deal with. Put them in and they play....

Never liked SACDs.
The best one , and being royalty free is DVD-As (and backward compatibility).
Blu Rays are the next best but .. you gotta pay....

DVD~A was always my favorite format, Kap but the sad reality was back in the early 00's, SONY was instrumental in licensing their format to UMG, TELARC and other labels who switched their allegiance from DVD~A>SACD and when the Elton Johns all came out on SACD .....it was pretty clear who won THAT format war and MOST especially when Pink Floyd's DSOTM which was originally slated for a DVD~A release suddenly shifted gears and was released on mch SACD!

But essentially, IMO, there's nothing wrong with SACD. ALL the classical labels who tout their audiophile status have embraced it over the years and with improved DACs and Players, the format has literally thrived.

BD~A with its UBER capacity, IMO, should've surpassed SACD as THE reigning champ ..... but due to UMG's ill fated BD~A launch [a disaster, IMO], SONY and Warners cancelled their 'launches' and BD~A titles continue to 'trickle' out as 'boutique' items.

If Dolby Atmos catches on, BD~A will reign surpreme as neither DVD~A nor SACD can compete with the versatility of the newest kid on the block ..... blu ray audio!

What is the best release to buy so you can have a collection with the best mix and or features.

An impossible question to answer really, as it differs on a title-by-title basis. Depending on the title, the difference could be the mix itself, the mastering, or the lineage of the surround track (whether the source files were originally PCM or DSD converted to PCM, etc). Not to mention there are inherent biases about some codecs sounding better than others, so you may have situations where the mix and mastering are identical, but some listeners swear that one version sounds better than the other.

Also - not to kill the discussion - but I think it might be worth reposting this excerpt from the QQ banner:
Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 8.40.23 PM.jpg

An impossible question to answer really, as it differs on a title-by-title basis. Depending on the title, the difference could be the mix itself, the mastering, or the lineage of the surround track (whether the source files were originally PCM or DSD converted to PCM, etc). Not to mention there are inherent biases about some codecs sounding better than others, so you may have situations where the mix and mastering are identical, but some listeners swear that one version sounds better than the other.

Also - not to kill the discussion - but I think it might be worth reposting this excerpt from the QQ banner:
View attachment 44083

I don't think that QQ disclaimer of pitting one format against the other in this particular thread is relevant. It's more of a discussion of what format suits who. It's ashame we still have THREE viable formats for music at this late date but the fact they're co~existing is FACT and we, as music lovers, have NO say in what format a particular album is being released in. Then we also have the LOSSY formats ..... DTS and Dolby Digital on DVD~V which also enter into the equation.

And to be perfectly honest and on target: SACD is the victorious format since for music; it has had more releases than DVD~A and BD~A combined ...... by a VERY wide margin.

And thankfully, UNIVERSAL players which play all these formats are still being manufactured in 2019! And the very fact that not all players are created equal [some are WAY better than others] will also enter into the bias of what format sounds better on an individual's system....not to mention the individual's electronics/speaker system and listening environment, factors, of which, ALL contribute to the enjoyment and ultimate quality of the music!

Last edited:
Back