Riverside "Wasteland" (New Deluxe Edition with 4.1 surround DVD!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is even just 4.0! Both Center and LFE channels are just silence. Unbelievable. Can anybody else confirm?
Hi and welcome.
Well I just checked my disc again and...no centre channel!!
From where I sit It certainly sounds like it's being used, so I placed my ear near to the centre speaker...nothing.
A true quad mix maybe?
The mix is still good though.....imo

But I might readjust my score from 8.25 to 8.75

Last edited:
Last edited:
I pre-ordered this from Burning Shed and still waiting no despatch email and still showing as available to pre-order on their site...what's with all these dodgy release dates these days??

I pre-ordered this from Burning Shed and still waiting no despatch email and still showing as available to pre-order on their site...what's with all these dodgy release dates these days??
Mine was delivered this morning, I'm listening to it now, had to up the rears a bit, but it's sounding good otherwise. I think the shed might be a bit busy at the moment, so shipping is a bit delayed, I expected to get both Tull & Riverside yesterday but Tull came yesterday and Riverside today, hope I'm not rubbing it in, hopefully yours'll come Monday.

Hi and welcome.
Well I just checked my disc again and...no centre channel!!
From where I sit It certainly sounds like it's being used, so I placed my ear near to the centre speaker...nothing.
A true quad mix maybe?
The mix is still good though.....imo

But I might readjust my score from 8.25 to 8.75
Ahhh, 4.0 - just the way I like it 😋 :cool:
See, phantom center is so good you’re questioning if there really is one!🤠

Furthermore :); it’s a real art form being able to mix music with a great phantom center. Just listen to what Steven Wilson does on the Jethro Tull “This Was” side channel mixes; still impresses me on the imaging on that one. There’s plenty of 5.1 mixes out there, that to my ears, just muddies up the whole front sound stage.

Hi guys, agree, I gave it a first spin last night (after my analytics of the true facts ;-) ) and have to say I do not miss the center channel nor the LFE. Phantom center is awesome. However - title of the thread should be updated as it is 4.0 not 4.1. But who needs LFE on music anyway...

Uhmm, I got this one today and I played it right after the last Soord's album and Djabe's. All this will be yours sounded great, despite I'm still looking for being impressed by the bass heavy mix. Djabe's is exceptionally good and Wasteland in Dolby is just average, compared with the other two. It kind of sounds muted and you have to quite raise the volume to enjoy it. The mix is very front heavy and although discrete, it leaves you wanting to hear more activity in the rears. I need to listen again perhaps increasing the volume of the rears. Not as good Love, Fear and the Time Machine, that's for sure

Any of you ripped this one ok, if so what did you use? I tried a couple of times using Makemkv but it fails to find the surround tracks only stereo although it plays fine via my oppo. Looks like I might have to subscribe to DVDAE assuming that works.

Any of you ripped this one ok, if so what did you use? I tried a couple of times using Makemkv but it fails to find the surround tracks only stereo although it plays fine via my oppo. Looks like I might have to subscribe to DVDAE assuming that works.
I've only ever used MakeMKV on BDs, and DVDAE for DVDs - along with Garry's (HomerJAU) brilliant Music Media Helper

Alternatively you could try to rip to *.ifo/*.VOB files (I use DVD Shrink for some reason) and then use AudioMuxer to extract to FLAC files.

I ripped this one using DVD Decrypter in IFO mode, which resulted in one track per chapter ("File Splitting" -> "By Chapter" in settings). I then used eac3to to extract the .ac3 files. You can then convert on from there as/if you wish.

Must admit I am pleasantly surprised at this disc. I was expecting the worst but it doesn't sound like a Dolby encode to me (which are usually dull sounding from the ones I've heard).

The 4.0 mix is fantastic also. There are moments which sound like expanded stereo but on the whole there are tons of discrete moments throughout the whole album. There are also plenty of sounds which were buried a bit too much in the stereo mix but sound more prominent here. Everything breathes more also and the air around the drums is fantastic (and I really like how they spill out to the sides)

Still can't believe it's not lossless because it sounds excellent.

Setting aside the poor choice of encoding format (which is a real shame, seriously why not at least DTS?!), this is a really nice quad mix. There is a prominent distinct and tasteful separation of front/rears and as previous posters have said this really opens up the mix in a good way. Considering the price this is totally worth it, even more so if you factor in supporting one of the few bands which have carried the progressive rock torch on into this century.

Back