Who will replace Oppo?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know if someone has already posted the news here, but this quote from the OPPO site:

"Thank you all for your support. Due to increasingly limited quantities and overwhelming demand, we are no longer accepting email sign-ups for the UDP-205 Interest List. We are still on track to receive our next shipments in late August and mid-September, and we will begin to notify customers on the Interest List as soon as we have the players in stock."

"Overwhelming demand." I wonder if a good business person would try to obtain future manufacturing slots to alleviate the "overwhelming" demand. It might be too late, but this looks like low hanging fruit for Oppo.

"Overwhelming demand." I wonder if a good business person would try to obtain future manufacturing slots to alleviate the "overwhelming" demand. It might be too late, but this looks like low hanging fruit for Oppo.

I think it makes more sense to the administrative side of the company that they do not get "stuck" with leftover inventory (though I'm not saying they would). Had Oppo not announced they were closing shop, I wonder how many units they would have sold compared to how many they did after announcing their decision. The reason people who had delayed buying one panicked is that once Oppo's inventory is sold out, that's it. It's not like there were dozens of sellers out there with stashes of these machines. Unlike say, a Quad SACD from Audio Fidelity. When AF would announce that a certain title was sold out, people could still turn around to online sellers like cdImport to buy one until their stash was truly sold out. No such luck with Oppo. The only people benefiting from this demand are the individuals whom have purchased multiple units/models and whom are auctioning them off on e-bay.

i dont see what the problem is that Oppo are stopping production of these machines. it si a small market that a small number of manufacturers are supplying to a small number of potential buyers. and its not as if its something you would buy every year.

i have a Denon DBT-3313 which is their high end player. it plays everything i put into it with superb picture and audio quality. what else is there for a player to do when used as a source player in a surround setup?

surely one player no longer in the playing field gives the others more chance of survival?

i dont see what the problem is that Oppo are stopping production of these machines. it si a small market that a small number of manufacturers are supplying to a small number of potential buyers. and its not as if its something you would buy every year.

i have a Denon DBT-3313 which is their high end player. it plays everything i put into it with superb picture and audio quality. what else is there for a player to do when used as a source player in a surround setup?

surely one player no longer in the playing field gives the others more chance of survival?

Let me shed some light on "what the problem" is with Oppo's departure...the easiest thing to do is point out they we are now on page 11 of this thread and probably half of the posts are testimonials about how much people like an Oppo...and that wasn't the intention of the thread I created...it was just a spontaneous outburst of respect for a product...you are correct about these machines being important to just a small number of potential buyers...but the relevant fact is that is US...this forum is comprised of that small pool of potential customers..so what might not be important to 99.9% of the population is very important within the confines of this forum

I'm glad your Denon serves you well...I have a Denon AVR..and I like the sound..BUT..if I were to compare the customer service provided by Denon to Oppo….the Denon wouldn't even be in the same zip code...you could call Oppo and tell them about problems with a specific disc and they would investigate it and include the findings in a firmware update...I remember calling Denon about a problem I had and all they wanted to do was sell me a newer model...Oppo had beta testers and used their input to improve functionality...at companies like Denon...the paying customers are the beta testers...and as posters on this thread pointed out...there is no product that does as much and as well as Oppo did...perhaps you could go back and read the posts on this thread to gain prospective...

Some more musing! I could go and buy another Oppo 203 (I have a 103 & 203) and sit it on the shelf as a just in case, the 203 is still available in the UK from a few suppliers at £650, possibly a crazy thing to do. Alternatively I could buy an Intel NUC with HDMI, USB 6 channel 24-bit/192kHz ADC/DAC (my amp has analogue in/out, so I cover DSD->Analogue, Analogue & digital HDMI->Analogue), for around the same cost, and add a Surround Master super deluxe Pre-amp when it has been designed. My thoughts are moving towards the NUC etc. :unsure: some thinking still to do...………..

Some more musing! I could go and buy another Oppo 203 (I have a 103 & 203) and sit it on the shelf as a just in case, the 203 is still available in the UK from a few suppliers at £650, possibly a crazy thing to do. Alternatively I could buy an Intel NUC with HDMI, USB 6 channel 24-bit/192kHz ADC/DAC (my amp has analogue in/out, so I cover DSD->Analogue, Analogue & digital HDMI->Analogue), for around the same cost, and add a Surround Master super deluxe Pre-amp when it has been designed. My thoughts are moving towards the NUC etc. :unsure: some thinking still to do...………..

Either option is a good one...if you can get a NEW Oppo 203 at a reasonable cost it can serve 2 purposes...a possible backup and a good investment...how long will it be for the Surround Master to be available....is there a firm date?

Either option is a good one...if you can get a NEW Oppo 203 at a reasonable cost it can serve 2 purposes...a possible backup and a good investment...how long will it be for the Surround Master to be available....is there a firm date?
The lunatic side of me wants to do both! :eek:
Edit: No date yet on the super all singing all dancing Surround Master

Finally got around to hooking up the 203...this time I didn't change any of the settings...they are all set to factory defaults...and all I needed was 1 firmware update and it was set up...didn't miss a beat...I will put the 103D in a resting place and hope I don't need it for a LONG time...
Wait!... don’t put away your 103D... there’s still time to learn to rip SACDs... you CAN do this, 😂!

Finally got around to hooking up the 203...this time I didn't change any of the settings...they are all set to factory defaults...and all I needed was 1 firmware update and it was set up...didn't miss a beat...I will put the 103D in a resting place and hope I don't need it for a LONG time...

Well it's 'bout time Clint Eastwood. Otherwise, it might go out of warranty. So, what are your impressions?

I've had my Shunyata Research power conditioner sitting in plastic for three weeks now and have NO motivation to dig through my maze of cables and properly hook it up. It's divided into analogue/digital and it involves rebooting my Meridian SooLoos and accompanying storage computer. P I T A ...... BT [BIG TIME].

Well it's 'bout time Clint Eastwood. Otherwise, it might go out of warranty. So, what are your impressions?

I've had my Shunyata Research power conditioner sitting in plastic for three weeks now and have NO motivation to dig through my maze of cables and properly hook it up. It's divided into analogue/digital and it involves rebooting my Meridian SooLoos and accompanying storage computer. P I T A ...... BT [BIG TIME].

Everything is fine..tested several discs and some ripped music and a blu ray concert(y)

Hello everybody,

Got a question about the Sony UBP-X800 BD Player.

Does the Sony UBP-X800 plays DVD-A and SACD in ISO format burn on DVD-R/DVD+R?

I considering buying one as back up for my OPPO's

Thank you

Kind regards,

Hello everybody,

Thank you

Kind regards,

I think that question has been addressed before, though it's easy to lose things in a long thread. Anyway, the answer is yes and no: it will play DVD-R's but it won't recognize SACD-R's. But then again, neither would the newer generations of Oppos....

I've been using a UBP-X800 fairly intensively--for Netflix & Hulu as well as for CDs and DVD video (and, when you get right down to it, for most other optical discs, too; I've been giving the Oppo a rest)--for the last two months and I have no complaints so far. I paid around $165 for mine, although they've briefly dipped as low as $99 (reconditioned) at Best Buy.

I think that question has been addressed before, though it's easy to lose things in a long thread. Anyway, the answer is yes and no: it will play DVD-R's but it won't recognize SACD-R's. But then again, neither would the newer generations of Oppos....

I've been using a UBP-X800 fairly intensively--for Netflix & Hulu as well as for CDs and DVD video (and, when you get right down to it, for most other optical discs, too; I've been giving the Oppo a rest)--for the last two months and I have no complaints so far. I paid around $165 for mine, although they've briefly dipped as low as $99 (reconditioned) at Best Buy.

IIRC...there is a difference between 2017 version and 2018 version of the X800...I believe they eliminated an audio function...and more people coveted the 2017....it might be earlier in the thread..

Hello everybody,

Thank you

Kind regards,
The Oppo 203 won't do SACD-R but if you record a DVD/BD as a Data disc with DSD files it will play it.

Back