What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Freaking Crapola Farging Amazing haul their Bill. You are THE MAN. I am really proud that you are a QQ member and are posting all of these great finds here in the forum. Yikes!

Looks like the entire RCA/Victor Japanese quadraphonic roster. When you consider over the past 20 years I've probably seen THREE Japanese Q8's on eBay total, maybe less, to find that many is unreal (I know you didn't get them from eBay, but you would have thought that Japanese sellers would have sold SOME of those titles on eBay over the years, the QLP's show up quite regularly.)

Better up your insurance coverage on your house!

I have the feeling that Q8 for local japanese market were done in low number, as for stereo 8 track tapes - check out how few japanese Beatles 8 track you can find on ebay or yahoo auction - while LP were not only seen as a better media and easier to market, but also cheaper; from the obi or other prints LP were in the 2100-2500 yen, q8 on the 2800-3000.

Holy Freaking Crapola Farging Amazing haul there Bill. You are THE MAN. I am really proud that you are a QQ member and are posting all of these great finds here in the forum. Yikes!

Looks like the entire RCA/Victor Japanese quadraphonic roster. When you consider over the past 20 years I've probably seen THREE Japanese Q8's on eBay total, maybe less, to find that many is unreal (I know you didn't get them from eBay, but you would have thought that Japanese sellers would have sold SOME of those titles on eBay over the years, the QLP's show up quite regularly.)

Better up your insurance coverage on your house!

Hi. Jon

Yes you would think that putting these Quad items on eBay they would have made a greater profit and I`m glad they didn't, because I think it would of went sky hi....

Hi. All

Got more Q8 the other day.

( Capital. Q8 Q8W-11356 -Grand Funk All The Girls In The World Beware !!! )-
( GRT. Q8 7035-777 -Ahmad Jamal Heat Wave )-
( UA. Q8 UA-DA1471-H -Only Hits T he Ventures Vo.1 )-
( Electra. Q8 8Q-1032 -Judy Collins Judith :New Factory Sealed )-

I have started to send the photos of the Q8 cartridges I have won on the Japanese Auction site to...……... Dave the man...……….. so when he has them all he will catalog them & put them in the right place. for every body to see..
aaaUntitled_Panorama1.jpg
Untitled_Panorama3.jpg
Untitled_Panorama1.jpg
Untitled_Panorama2.jpg

Last edited:
Not exactly the BS&T I'm used to, but the mix is killer! Recording into Audition now...

View attachment 34413

nice score! (y)
i hope an upcoming DV batch will include a Surround SACD of either one of or both "Mirror Image" and/or "New City".. overlooked/underrated, call them what you will (I can imagine some hate the albums, neither is what you'd call Classic B,S&T..) but I love them in Quad, the surround mixes on both are (imho) excellent.

Bit of a mixed bag surround-wise with these: Teaser has the same weird mixing approach as the Greatest Hits. It sounds like double stereo with a different EQ on each pair, but it actually gives a sort of convincing live sound. I personally think they could've done better with this, but I don't know what the state of the multis is/was. It also doesn't help my tape is in kinda rough shape- some annoying dropouts.

Foreigner has much denser instrumentation, and while it's still a bit conservative it's definitely real surround. Drums and backing vocals are definitely more prominent in the rears. I'm loving the epic 19 minute "Foreigner Suite".

IMG_5694.jpg

Cool!! How does this one sound Bill, or have you had a chance to listen yet?

Hi. GOS

I am very partial to pipe Organ music The Four Antiphonal Organ of the Cathedral of Freiburg was made for 4 corner Quad Sound and E. Power Biggs plays Bach on these 4 Organs like you never heard before the 4 corner for-play from Organ to Organ is Orgasmic, the tape played very clean like no waw & flutter enjoyed it very much...

Hi. GOS

I am very partial to pipe Organ music The Four Antiphonal Organ of the Cathedral of Freiburg was made for 4 corner Quad Sound and E. Power Biggs plays Bach on these 4 Organs like you never heard before the 4 corner for-play from Organ to Organ is Orgasmic, the tape played very clean like no waw & flutter enjoyed it very much...

Isn't that the one Sony released on SACD?

Of course it's entirely possible the Q8 is a better listen, especially if they wrecked it like they destroyed the quads of Boulez Conducts Bartok and The Planets...

Isn't that the one Sony released on SACD?

Of course it's entirely possible the Q8 is a better listen, especially if they wrecked it like they destroyed the quads of Boulez Conducts Bartok and The Planets...

Hi. sjcorne

I think you may be right on the SACD release, I have the Quad LP of this and enjoy this through the SM but the Q8 has the edge of discreteness to it...

Hi. All
I have started to send the photos of the Q8 cartridges I have won on the Japanese Auction site to...……... Dave the man...……….. so when he has them all he will catalog them & put them in the right place. for every body to see..

How's the work going on?

How's the work going on?

Hi. winopener

I up loaded the last lot of photos to Steelydave the other day it took me over a week off doing a batch at a time there were over a 170 Q8 to photo front back side of the box & the same with cartridge to photo, so I think Dave has his hands full at the moment it cant be to long away........BBQ

Last edited:
As Bill said, this is a huge project - he's done a ton of work in photographing all these tapes (170 tapes x 3 to 5 photos per tape basically) and he's been sending them to me a dozen at a time.

It's a slow process, cataloging them, because unlike the equivalent CD-4 LPs, the majority of these tapes have no English writing at all on them, so I have to transcribe the Japanese kanji by hand and then translate, and then use some Google detective work (and Mark Anderson's Asian quad discography) to figure out what they are.

In any event, I'm about 90% through the process of transcribing and sorting everything, so I should hopefully be able to start posting toward the end of this week or weekend. I wanted to wait until Bill sent me everything, because I thought it would be better to post it all in numerical order, so things are easier to find for people who are looking for the info.

Hi. All

Some more Q4`s & Q8`s arrived this week

( Reprise. Q4 RSTQ 2064-QF -Randy Newman Sail Away )-
( RCA. Q4 ERQA 3210-QF -Love Story Eugene Ormandy )-
( RCA. Q4 ERQA 3051-QF -Tchaikovsky 1812 New Philarmonia Orchestra )-
( Columbia. Q8 CAQ-30961 -Johny Cash at Sanquentin )-
( RCA. Q8 APTI-0410 -B.W.Stevenson -Calabasas : New Sealed )-
( RCA. Q8 OQ8-1006 -Hello Dolly The Original Broadway Cast )-

randy.jpg
IMG_3775.JPG
love story Q4.jpg
IMG_3768.JPG