Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's the spirit FW! in for a penny, in for 12 pounds! (y)

did you get the Chase SACD yet? i'm "spinnin'" it right now.. hot on the heels of Weather Report it feels like I've been transported to some kind of jazz club funky heaven, where the beer flows like water and everything's in stunning surround sound! the new Chase SACD starts out (wisely imho) with the Pure Music Quad... remarkable doesn't even do this disc justice. my gobs well and truly smacked into next week! how can those DV boffins top this!? come on ye wonderful Wizbods of Watford, you've just upped the ante - again! :51QQ:51QQ

Haven't got it yet but it is very high on my radar , fwiw . Hell I was impressed with the cd on BGO afterall.

And then I can dream of a pub .....where the beer flows like water , and it has that jazz club smoky atmosphere ,.....and the patrons are happily passing around an opium pipe and groovin to the tunes , an early 50's club type feel and the music's swimmin all around our heads and you heave a warm sigh in total relaxation ....and you never want to leave . :giggle:

what's the surround mix like on this one, Fizzy?

Well it's a bit of a tame mix , couple good "boogie on " tunes though , and it's good music overall. I think it's kinda getting rare now . It was on an independent label, btw , and the label 's only DVDA.

Tomato is the label.

In short .....if you like music that makes you move about ...you'll like this album.

7374.jpg

logo_sacd.png

Harmonia Mundi HMU 807486
Stereo/Multichannel Hybrid
Classical - Vocal
Tarik O'Regan: Acallam na Senórach (An Irish Colloquy)

Simply BEAUTIFUL!

Revisiting Steven Wilson's Yes mixes (I have all except Relayer and Tales).

A lot of people say SW gets better the longer he works on a catalog and I'd say this series, or at least the progression between these 3 releases, definitely demonstrates that.

Close To The Edge is definitely the most complex/layered of the 3, and no doubt the most polarizing mix. In hindsight I think it was probably a mistake to start the reissues with this one: to me this is the big one, the one you work your way up to. Perhaps it would be better if he took a first crack at it now, with more mixing experience under his belt. It's all conjecture, I guess. Personally I think it's a very good mix, but I don't have the intimate knowledge of the album that others do.

Here's the funny thing (please don't hate me): I really don't like the title track at all. I MUCH prefer "And You And I" and "Siberian Khatru".

I think The Yes Album has the most active panning in any SW mix I've heard (though XTC's Skylarking has a lot of swirling effects as well). The breakdown guitar bit in "Yours Is No Disgrace" and the ending of "Starship Trooper" are exceptionally cool surround moments.

For my money Fragile is the best, for both content and mix. I'd say "South Side Of The Sky" is probably my overall favorite tune by them. Love the guitar driven melody and then the cool wordless harmonies in the middle. The showcase tracks for each member are also really cool.

I really should pick up Relayer or Tales one of these days...

Listening now to 5.1 PCM 96Khz, at 60.db, Blues Traveler Truth Be Told DVD-A. Definately front loaded, lets call it big stereo sound filling room. Menu and lyrics are great, plus they have a selection called "All About DVD Audio". Somebody from QQ suggested this disc, got it for 10 bucks. Glad I have it. I saw them once at Laguna Seca with The Allman Brothers Band.
View attachment 35775

Got this one after your comments ta, from Amazon USA for a very reasonable price and very quick delivery to UK.
Never heard of them before but its a grower and a good choice of tunes. Agree with mainly fronts but there is some discrete use of them rears too with a large organ prominent. Not bad, not bad at all.

Last edited:
Trans Europe Express from Kraftwerk's 3D. Though the sound quality and the surround mix are great, I like the version on the Minimum-Maximum dvd better. It's more "in your face" (if that makes sense), especially the "Metall auf Metall"-part. And the vintage video footage for me is much better than the simplicistic animation on 3D. Maybe if I could see it actually in 3D...

And of course , because I do recommend it ,

Classic Rock - Inside The Music . DVDA

Kinda too bad they did not issue a DVDA of either George Thorogood nor Canned Heat , woulda been very cool I think.

View attachment 35998View attachment 35999

Looks good, just checked Amazon and $77.00, too much. I have Classic Country, New Wave, Classic Jazz, Women On Top, and Surf's Up, all pretty good.

Back