Is Oppo Firmware Rollback Possible?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagonmaster_91

800 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I have a friend who has the original firmware disc that came with his BDP-93. The machine currently has the newest firmware 82-1009, but could he rollback 33-1216 using the disc? Would it restore ISO and SACD-R playback capabilities?

I have a friend who has the original firmware disc that came with his BDP-93. The machine currently has the newest firmware 82-1009, but could he rollback 33-1216 using the disc? Would it restore ISO and SACD-R playback capabilities?
I think answer is NO, as it clearly stated on official Oppo website under product support section:
"Once this firmware version is installed on the player, you will not be able to revert back to any previous official or public beta firmware."

https://www.oppodigital.com/support/blu-ray-bdp-93/bdp9x-firmware-82-1009.aspx

I've seen this same procedure on a few websites....the best source would be AVS but they have a policy against posting things like this and posts are usually deleted....

You'd like to think, now that they've ceased production, that Oppo's contractual obligation to Sony et al. to disable those features would also be over. But I guess that's not how capitalism works.

I have a DV-980H that still plays SACD-Rs (although that model never played ISOs, to my knowledge). I also have a BDP-103, and I think I'm remembering that when I first bought it, out of the box and before upgrading the firmware, it, too, would play SACD-Rs. When that feature disappeared, I contacted Oppo, and they told me that if I sent the machine to them, they would do a factory reset, restoring the original firmware--and that they would do so once and once only--but that that would jeopardize my eligibility for any further warranty service in the future...

Last edited:
Just a follow-up to my last post: out of curiosity, I contacted Oppo customer support and asked whether the licensing agreements which necessitated removal of ISO (BDP-93 & 95) and SACD-R (103 & 105) playback would remain in force in perpetuity, or if, now that they'd ceased manufacturing, some means could be offered to roll back the firmware on those models to restore their original capabilities. Their reply: "we have no plans to remove those restrictions" and "We do not have plans to introduce a new firmware that will allow OPPO owners to downgrade firmwares on their end."

Just a follow-up to my last post: out of curiosity, I contacted Oppo customer support and asked whether the licensing agreements which necessitated removal of ISO (BDP-93 & 95) and SACD-R (103 & 105) playback would remain in force in perpetuity, or if, now that they'd ceased manufacturing, some means could be offered to roll back the firmware on those models to restore their original capabilities. Their reply: "we have no plans to remove those restrictions" and "We do not have plans to introduce a new firmware that will allow OPPO owners to downgrade firmwares on their end."
And that is why I will never let go of my BDP 93 or 95: no Cinavia, plays SACD-R as well as BDMV folders, and with a single cable I can send everything to the 205's HDMI input to take advantage of that player's excellent DACs and analog outputs.

I just sent in my oppo 95 to be fixed.It had a problem with the analogue audio board so they replaced the board. Just for fun I requested that they put ISO capability back when they updated the firmware. They said they allowed my request and DID put it back on!. I havent received it yet but now it looks like I'm going to get my sacds on my computer then to a usb to play them from the oppo.

I just sent in my oppo 95 to be fixed.It had a problem with the analogue audio board so they replaced the board. Just for fun I requested that they put ISO capability back when they updated the firmware. They said they allowed my request and DID put it back on!. I havent received it yet but now it looks like I'm going to get my sacds on my computer then to a usb to play them from the oppo.
Well did they do it as promised? I have a 105D that I bought with firmware updated so that I cannot rip SACDs with it. How tragic.
(edit)
Correction, Oppo 105D with the firmware update should make no difference and still rip SACDs. I had read false information in regards to that.

Can you believe someone actually said that, that one could not use the 105D to rip SACDs after that late firmware? Not true apparently. I must give it another try.

Last edited:
Can you believe someone actually said that, that one could not use the 105D to rip SACDs after that late firmware? Not true apparently. I must give it another try.
This isn’t from my own experience, but I have read that the 205 can’t rip SACDs, but the 105 can be configured to rip them.

Currently, the [2K HD] OPPO BDP-10x players can back-up/rip SACD's. The [4K UHD] UDP-20x players can't.

Indeed, there are many makes and models players fitted with the same Mediatek MT8580 AV decoding SoC as the OPPO BDP-10x players that can back-up/rip SACD's, including some Sony and Pioneer models...

Source: SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

Last edited:
This isn’t from my own experience, but I have read that the 205 can’t rip SACDs, but the 105 can be configured to rip them.
Of course. This is not secret knowledge. The only Oppos that can rip SACDs are the 103/103D/105/105D. That's it. Nothing before and nothing after. (No configuration needed, just the requisite files.)

Of course. This is not secret knowledge. The only Oppos that can rip SACDs are the 103/103D/105/105D. That's it. Nothing before and nothing after. (No configuration needed, just the requisite files.)
It's not secret knowledge, but quicksrt had apparently heard that a 105 could not rip SACDs. Again, not part of my experience, just reading.

Back