Rush "Hemispheres" (40th Anniversary Box Set with 5.1 Blu-Ray Audio!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your meaning is utterly clear now. You've masterfully described a classic 1st world problem...

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

Seriously, Mike, based on your masterful 5.1 BD~A of Disturbing the Universe, IMO, you could do a better remix job than a lot of the 'so~called 5.1' remixes done lately...........which barely register on my Surround worthy scale! IMO, adjusting the levels of one's audio system to 'accommodate' the shortcomings of recent surround remasters is plain, unadulterated bullshit.

Listening to those D~V 70's QUAD SACDs is a revelation. Perhaps some overkill is apparent to showcase the then 'new' format but a lot of them are spectacularly well done and it's a pity modern remix engineers don't study them and attempt to mimic what's great about them.

Seriously, Mike, based on your masterful 5.1 BD~A of Disturbing the Universe, IMO, you could do a better remix job than a lot of the 'so~called 5.1' remixes done lately...........which barely register on my Surround worthy scale! IMO, adjusting the levels of one's audio system to 'accommodate' the shortcomings of recent surround remasters is plain, unadulterated bullshit.

Listening to those D~V 70's QUAD SACDs is a revelation. Perhaps some overkill is apparent to showcase the then 'new' format but a lot of them are spectacularly well done and it's a pity modern remix engineers don't study them and attempt to mimic what's great about them.
100% agreed there (except for the "masterful" description of DtU - sounds pompous if I agree to that, but thank you. I'm glad, relieved, surprised and amazed that DtU turned out as well as it did)!

Last edited:
Great read! I saw Rush in 1978 (with Pat Travers Band opening) at the Swing Auditorium in San Bernadino (San Ber'dino in Zappa speak). Amazing and loud, don't remember very much about it today. I do look forward to this release and it's unreleased live material.
I saw Pat Travers a few times in the mid/late 70s I never understood why he never made it into the really big league.

I saw Pat Travers a few times in the mid/late 70s I never understood why he never made it into the really big league.

Started off slow as support act and steadily raised his profile. Live-Go For What You Know really encapsulated the energy of the many shows (loud!) they did across the states in 1978-79. Boom-Boom. Out Go The Lights became an FM radio staple. Crash & Burn was also very popular and then he drifted downward in status once again. I'm FB friends with Pat Thrall and he's quite approachable. Hats off to Mars Cowling as one of the most underrated bass players there ever was! Drummer Tommy Aldridge needs no introduction, taking them up a notch as well.

Heads up again Amazon US people - Snood checked me order again - Still at the 128.24 that me ordered at but noticed they are offering another 8.37 off at check out that did not get reduced from my order

So Snood canceled and reordered again - with reduction in tax saved another 9.00 dollars - then used 30 bux worth of Amazon points and with tax got it below 100 to 97.50 with tax shipped :rocks

My original order was the 158 plus tax then then they reduced to 128 plus tax for 136 , but did not change my order so had to reorder - So again another 8.37 off had to reorder again.

PK Snood PMd ya just in case - 9 bux is 9 bux :hi

Heads up again Amazon US people - Snood checked me order again - Still at the 128.24 that me ordered at but noticed they are offering another 8.37 off at check out that did not get reduced from my order

So Snood canceled and reordered again - with reduction in tax saved another 9.00 dollars - then used 30 bux worth of Amazon points and with tax got it below 100 to 97.50 with tax shipped :rocks

My original order was the 158 plus tax then then they reduced to 128 plus tax for 136 , but did not change my order so had to reorder - So again another 8.37 off had to reorder again.

I saw this, too, Snood, and it appears that they are offering a discount that effectively brings the total back to where it would be if they didn’t charge sales tax. I wonder if they’re doing that for everyone, including people in places without sales tax.

You bet I'll take that 9. Thanks Bro! Well, eight, three, seven............

Last edited:

Since when does Amazon give points?

With all the hoopla I forgot this arrive Friday, but still waiting for my Japanese White album, what is up with that?

I wonder if the BD~A/V from the Japanese box set of The White Album will have the same 'HOT' Mastering as the UK set? Hmmm. Of course, Markie, you'll have NO way of knowing. BTW, it took over a month for Billy Joel's 52nd Street to reach my shores from CDJapan .... because I'm CHEAP when it comes to s/h charges [went with no frills SAL].

Will be anxious to hear your review of RUSH Hemispheres.

I wonder if the BD~A/V from the Japanese box set of The White Album will have the same 'HOT' Mastering as the UK set? Hmmm. Of course, Markie, you'll have NO way of knowing. BTW, it took over a month for Billy Joel's 52nd Street to reach my shores from CDJapan .... because I'm CHEAP when it comes to s/h charges [went with no frills SAL].

Will be anxious to hear your review of RUSH Hemispheres.

Ralphie, how would you describe hot mastering, for my education?

Ralphie, how would you describe hot mastering, for my education?

HOT means if you choose to play it at a ROBUST VOLUME [just as YOU like it, Markie], it has a fatiguing sensation. IMO, Giles did a fantastic remix [considering he worked with both 4 and 8 track masters] and you probably won't hear a better version but considering those analogue sources are pushing 50 years, he may have fiddled with the treble somewhat since I'm sure those masters weren't as 'upper trebly' as this remaster would suggest. For instance, the slower tunes like Blackbird are, IMO, perfection and totally non fatiguing and the clarity of ALL the tracks is simply amazing but if you've read the various posts related to this album, a lot of posters are 'fiddling' with the volume and treble controls, which I consider counterproductive to a perfect remix/remaster......much like what some QQers did with Pepper .... reducing the front volume and raising the rears for [to THEIR ears] ...a more perfect balance.

If you listen to the MLP DVD~A of the LOVE album ...... absolutely NO fatigue and front and rears are perfectly balanced ON ALL TRACKS!

HOT means if you choose to play it at a ROBUST VOLUME [just as YOU like it, Markie], it has a fatiguing sensation. IMO, Giles did a fantastic remix [considering he worked with both 4 and 8 track masters] and you probably won't hear a better version but considering those analogue sources are pushing 50 years, he may have fiddled with the treble somewhat since I'm sure those masters weren't as 'upper trebly' as this remaster would suggest. For instance, the slower tunes like Blackbird are, IMO, perfection and totally non fatiguing and the clarity of ALL the tracks is simply amazing but if you've read the various posts related to this album, a lot of posters are 'fiddling' with the volume and treble controls, which I consider counterproductive to a perfect remix/remaster......much like what some QQers did with Pepper .... reducing the front volume and raising the rears for [to THEIR ears] ...a more perfect balance.

If you listen to the MLP DVD~A of the LOVE album ...... absolutely NO fatigue and front and rears are perfectly balanced ON ALL TRACKS!

Got it, that makes sense, I don't want a hot poker in my ears. Is there supposed to be a version (USA?) that is not hot? Or maybe the Japanese is better than UK ?

Back