Music Media Helper (Tools for Multichannel Audio & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've discovered a slight gotcha that very likely affects very, very few people. In fact, it may literally only affect me.

The FLAC encoder used behind the scenes by Music Media Helper is not the official FLAC version but rather one that creates even smaller files (a good thing!). If you're using it to extract a 192kHz stereo file and you're attempting to play that file via Squeezelite (a software Logitech Squeezebox emulator), the player will die rather ungracefully. Anyone attempting to play the files on genuine Logitech hardware won't have a problem because the server will downsample to 96kHz. Whatever is non-standard in the FLAC file does not bother the decoder that runs on the server side. It also doesn't bother Kodi or Foobar2000 or anything else I've tried.

In other words, this is going to bite almost no one and I mention it here not to complain but just on the very off chance that anyone else recently spent a bit of quality head-scratching time over it. :unsure:

There are two possible workarounds. The first is simply to use the official FLAC encoder to re-encode the file, which will be slightly larger but will play just fine. The official FLAC software has no problem at all working with the seemingly out-of-spec (?) files and will cheerfully re-encode them, though it will complain about the final file size. The second option is to tell Squeezelite not to accept FLAC, which will cause the server to decompress the FLAC before sending it to the player. If your network is capable of sending bloated uncompressed 192kHz without any trouble, that's an extremely easy one-time fix.

Thanks for reporting this. I’ll look into this today.

A couple of questions:
Which MMH tool (I assume its: Convert MKVto FLAC?)
Does it only affect FLAC at 192kHz?

Thanks for reporting this. I’ll look into this today.

A couple of questions:
Which MMH tool (I assume its: Convert MKVto FLAC?)
Does it only affect FLAC at 192kHz?

Yes, I'm using Convert MKV to FLAC. I've only noticed the problem at 192kHz so far. I just tried it with some 96kHz tracks off the "Imagine" box and they play fine.

If you're genuinely interested in playing around with this, have fun and thank you! But speaking strictly for myself, it's more of a "That's odd!" than any serious problem, especially given the ease of working around it. I've also provided a test file to Squeezelite's current maintainer.

I think HDTracks is using the same Lavf58.10.100 encoder, so it seems unlikely that very many people are seeing this issue.

I’ve just updated MMH with latest 3rd party components but not sure if this helps the squeeze box issue.

Also fixed a bug in playlist drag and drop reordering (and added code to convert mch FLAC and wav to MLP, but not quite finished yet so not visible in this version - not sure if this would be useful to anyone, maybe to create DVDA from BDA? Would be nice to find a command-line DVDA authoring tool to automate that task in MMH)

I’ve just updated MMH with latest 3rd party components but not sure if this helps the squeeze box issue.

I can see that the FLAC encoder incremented from Lavf58.10.100 to Lavf58.19.100, but Squeezelite is still being difficult about it. I appreciate your work, but it may just be One Of Those Things.

Also fixed a bug in playlist drag and drop reordering (and added code to convert mch FLAC and wav to MLP, but not quite finished yet so not visible in this version - not sure if this would be useful to anyone, maybe to create DVDA from BDA? Would be nice to find a command-line DVDA authoring tool to automate that task in MMH)
So this way it should be possible to dewatermark our original DVDA's?
Convert them to WAV/FLAC with DVD Audio Extractor and than re-encode them with MLP?

Would be great..

I can see that the FLAC encoder incremented from Lavf58.10.100 to Lavf58.19.100, but Squeezelite is still being difficult about it. I appreciate your work, but it may just be One Of Those Things.

Squeezelite's maintainer looked into this and reported "The Lavf encoder block and frame sizes are bigger than the reference encoder. Squeezelite was trying to decode a frame after reading 8192 bytes, which is not enough for a Lavf flac frame and the thread was blocking."

He updated Squeezelite and it looks like this is now officially a non-issue.

So this way it should be possible to dewatermark our original DVDA's?
Convert them to WAV/FLAC with DVD Audio Extractor and than re-encode them with MLP?

Would be great..

On testing the MLP encoder is causing some audible clicking once every few seconds. So not usable at this stage.

On testing the MLP encoder is causing some audible clicking once every few seconds. So not usable at this stage.
A work in progress, hopefully this will eventually turn in to a high quality app. I have time ;-)
Now finding a modern mediaplayer that will play those DVD-A discs, now I use and old Oppo 93 old firmware and on PC an old crashy version of PowerDVD (has problems with watermark)...

I've just posted a new update. This one adds a new dialog to allow you to edit the track list created by the MusicBrainz online database when tagging or renaming files. You can also paste any list copied from a website into that dialog at it will update the titles/names.

This new editable track list and ability to copy and paste from a website is now in these MMH tools:
  • Convert MKV to FLAC (semi auto tagging)
  • Tag and Rename (Audio and Video files)
  • Split MKV Video (and rename based on song/chapter title)
The copy and paste from a web page should auto clean up any abnormal characters captured off the page. Previously I used to create a file and copy into that to clean it up.. Now you can copy into the new MMH dialog (easier)

What about a dvd-a decoding (MLP or LPCM) from disk or iso to flac directly into MMH?
Currently doing it with Foobar but the tagging automation in MMH is excellent.

I’ve just updated MMH with latest 3rd party GUI components and a couple of bug fixes that caused a crash when exiting Tagging dialogs. Also updated 3rd party BS1770gain (ReplayGain) tool.

The latest web installer has a renewed Code Signing Certificate too.

I've also updated the PDF docs for the first time in 12 months, mainly new screen captures and a few corrections.

Last edited:
I’ve just updated MMH with latest 3rd party GUI components and a couple of bug fixes that caused a crash when exiting Tagging dialogs. Also updated 3rd party BS1770gain (ReplayGain) tool.

The latest web installer has a renewed Code Signing Certificate too.

I've also updated the PDF docs for the first time in 12 months, mainly new screen captures and a few corrections.

Hello,

I'm an Acura RDX 2019 ELS owner and have been ripping various multichannel discs I own to make 5.1 wav files for usb. As has been discussed in the QQ forums, the ELS system currently only plays stereo output when a 5.1 wav file has less than 6 channels. I've been using MMH successfully to add a silent C and LFE channel to 4 channel files resulting in surround output on the system. I have some files that are encoded with 5 channels having a center channel that I assume is added to a legacy quad mix, but no LFE channel. I haven't been able to get the MMH app to add a silent LFE channel to a 5 channel file because the app will only open 4 channel files to do that. I tried removing the center channel to make it a quad file so I can add the 2 missing channels, but the result was still a 5 channel file. Is this something you can adjust or add to the program? Thanks for a very useful tool!

Hi. If you are using a recent version of MMH you should be able to add both a silent C and LFE to a 4 channel file using that option.

If this isn’t working let me know. If you can’t see the Quad to 6CH option then get the latest version of MMH.

THX

Yes, I have the latest version and I can add both a silent C and LFE to a 4 channel file resulting in a 6 channel file that the Acura ELS will play in surround. The problem I am having is with rips from discs with 5 channels and not 4 or 6. I need to add a silent LFE channel to a 5 channel file. The MMH app cannot do this with the latest (or previous) version.

Thanks for the clarification n.

I’ll add a new option to add a silent LFE to a 5 channel file ASAP. Should be ready within 24hrs. I’ll post here when uploaded.

I made the mistake of doing MANY DVD-AUDIO conversions in 4.1 . The .1 being a sub. My latest version of Music Media Helper interprets that channel as as Center. I haven't found a way to add a Silent Center without first Removing the Sub. Any suggestions? I can't restore the sub after removing it, as far as I know.

Last edited:
Back