2019+ Acura RDX: ELS 3D Studio 5.1 Surround Audio System

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure if this has been covered, but can the system handle FLAC files that have more than 6 channels (e.g. 7.1)?

I tried a 7.1 wav file. It played, but it did the same thing a 24/96 file did, even though it was 24/48. It merged all of the lefts with the lefts and the rights with the rights. Center was fine. Foobar would not convert it to .flac, but I doubt it would have played anyway. Not a big deal. I have no 7.1 stuff, and the only 6.1 I know of is the first track on the "End of Innocence" DTS CD from Don Henley.

UPDATE: I just updated my review posts with newer information and pictures. I think I have everything covered for now, good and bad.

For those lurkers and browsers, over at the Acura RDX forum I posted a step-by-step guide to going from DVD-A to ELS compatible .flac files. It might help those who are not avid QQ audio engineers! :)

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx...navigation-455/dvd-5-1-flac-step-step-971819/

? does the the 2019 RDX have a Hard drive that saves the music files from the USB thumb drive , the 2017 RDX would download the CD to the in car Hard drive and save all the CDs music , or does the usb have to be plugged in to play your music files ?
Thanks

? does the the 2019 RDX have a Hard drive that saves the music files from the USB thumb drive , the 2017 RDX would download the CD to the in car Hard drive and save all the CDs music , or does the usb have to be plugged in to play your music files ?
Thanks

No hard drive, no disc player, just a USB port.

Does the RDX with the 12 speaker system play surround sound? Or just the 16 speaker system? Does anyone know?

The both play 5.1 files. The 16 speaker system just has a bigger amp unit as well as the extra speakers. From what I've heard, the 12 speaker system sounds just fine.

Thanks Jon. I saw a 2019 RDX drive by the other day. Didn't know what it was at the time, but it sure caught my eye. I googled around and discovered it was the Acura RDX. "That's the car Jon and the group have been talking about" I thought. That is really one sharp looking car. Bet its popular for a long time. Saw the Acura website showed the 12 speaker Technology package, but there was no mention of surround sound except in the next two upgrade packages with 16 speaker systems. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Thanks Jon. I saw a 2019 RDX drive by the other day. Didn't know what it was at the time, but it sure caught my eye. I googled around and discovered it was the Acura RDX. "That's the car Jon and the group have been talking about" I thought. That is really one sharp looking car. Bet its popular for a long time. Saw the Acura website showed the 12 speaker Technology package, but there was no mention of surround sound except in the next two upgrade packages with 16 speaker systems. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

If you're thinking about taking the plunge, or at least a test drive, be sure to take a USB stick with you, with 24/48 .wav or zero-compression .flac 5.1 files to verify for yourself. So far there have been no upgrades or updates to the system, so those two requirements are still in effect. Best to verify for yourself, because I have not personally heard 5.1 in the 12 speaker system, I am only going by what others have posted in the Acura forum.

The track pad is great. It takes a very short time to get used to it.

The Infotainment System has a few bugs that need to be worked out. For instance, if you start a playlist, then turn off the car, get back in, the same song will continue to play but not by the playlist. The system will now play the rest of the album that track came from. Oddities like that.

There has yet to be an "over the air" update to the system, but I am sure there will be more than one coming in the next few months.

Oh, and as far as Apple Carplay goes, it works, but the track pad works differently and is much harder to use. I tried Apple Carplay a few times and while it's cool to have Google Maps up on the screen with the satellite map scrolling as you drive (actually, it's very cool), and now you can have Waze running and on the screen if you like, I prefer to use the native navigation at this point.

The other downside to Apple Carplay is if you have your iPhone plugged into the system, you can't have the USB Music device connected, as there is only one USB Port that connects to the system. The other ports are charging ports only.

It seems like if it can handle what it does that it should have been simple to support other formats and frequencies. Let me do in the car what I can do with a basic computer, Foobar, some plugins and a large hard drive. Someone? Please take my money.

I purchased a 2019 Acura RDX this past Saturday. It only confirmed the fact that the ELS system in the 2016 RDX was not very good (the 2014 RDX system was much better - even with DTS CD playback). Now starts the slow process of converting my entire collection to the supported FLAC configuration. My wife won't be seeing me much! :) :hi

I purchased a 2019 Acura RDX this past Saturday. It only confirmed the fact that the ELS system in the 2016 RDX was not very good (the 2014 RDX system was much better - even with DTS CD playback). Now starts the slow process of converting my entire collection to the supported FLAC configuration. My wife won't be seeing me much! :):hi

Welcome to the club! Congratulations

How to reboot the 2019 RDX infotainment system:

Wow! Never knew about that.

So far I've only had the occasional "lost playback to tone" problem with the infotainment system. It's never locked up, crashed, or become "stuck".

It is wonky when it comes to playlists, and the AM radio will occasionally not start after a engine start up without going back and selecting it, but according to the Acura Forum the first software update is due next week (12-12-2018), so hopefully some of these things will be dealt with.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-...ate-2019-acura-rdx-december-12-2018-a-975398/

There are posts over there about people having a lot of issues with infotainment, so maybe this software update will improve things for all.

Of course, now I have to go and play with the diagnostic mode stuff! :)

Last edited:
ooh. pretty complex. was it really that bad to have a disc system? I have had a couple of those, and never had a complete lock out. (knock on wood). I am convinced surround format is best experienced in the car environment. I am really digging the Ladyland and White album in my older RDX this week. Enjoying much more than in home or classroom.

I am pretty sure the electronics and programming in this system was a little rushed! I will be very interested to see exactly what the "fix list" is for this upcoming update.

Back