Porcupine Tree 5.1 remasters - Deadwing / In Absentia - getting nearer?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love for the mixes to be remastered by Wilson himself. I actually thought this was going to be the case with the upcoming deluxe editions, which is the main reason for my debilitating excitement!

The stereo mix will actually be the remastered version that was released on vinyl last year.

I think that is not Steven's "Mode of Operandus". He makes a mix in a way mastering is not required. I guess he doesn't think the surround mix needs to be redone. And the surround mastering by Darcy Proper is quite adequate.
He has remastered a few of his own stereo mixes over the years... But I suspect the most recent reissues of his catalogue have little or no master-level processing. Many of his more recent stereo releases/mixes, starting with Grace For Drowning, were released unmastered (To The Bone was mastered).

I am really hoping for a stand-alone blu-ray or DVD-audio. I'm not sure I like the album enough to purchase another huge box set.
I've recently bought Heaven & Earth and In Search of Hades which will keep me busy for a while... :)
Here, I just want the remastered album and 5.1 mix, no more no less.

To Steven's own admittance, he is not a mastering engineer, so most of the things "mastered" by him (it's always only his own work AFAIK) have little processing beyond some limiting and, rarely, some EQ.

What I would like above all is a different 5.1 mix and/or master than what was previously released on DVD-A. Elliot Scheiner is great, but In Absentia was released during the madness of the Loudness Wars, and I would love to hear a more dynamic take that is more in line with Wilson's sensibilities.

Have there been any updates as to the potential release date for the remastered 'In Absentia' CD/Blu-ray 4 disc set?

Have there been any updates as to the potential release date for the remastered 'In Absentia' CD/Blu-ray 4 disc set?

Not yet, last word was "later this year" so if that is still the case there ought to be an official announcement pretty soon. I can however see the powers that be holding off a bit and waiting until early 2020 (Feb/Mar) as there is a lot of stuff this fall that competes for a lot of the same $$. That said, it's just supposition and I've no inside info on it....just though the quietness on it suggests something?

O.T. but PT related, and not surround, but a release I am certainly going to buy, preview hits the spot for me -
Colin Edwin / Jon Durant / Inna Kovtun

The "In Absentia" box set has been pushed back until next year. Steven's words on the interwebz:

One more major project from the archives to come is the deluxe edition of Porcupine Tree's album In Absentia, most likely early next year. For many (including myself) this was our best album, and the new edition will feature a remastered version of the album, 2 additional CD's of studio material, and a blu-ray including a brand new feature length Lasse Hoile directed documentary on the album.

:)

Back