100 Columbia (and associated) SQ titles are/were available digitally!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One step at a time, Fred. Some of those A list titles are OFF THE TABLE.
1. paul simon - off the table for sure.
2. billy joel - sales potential on lesser albums leave this as a back-burner item for now.
3. edgar winter - BGO has a bunch of Edgar and Johnny, which frightens reissue companies away, a slow selling catalog (but it is legally available I believe)
4. santana - Key albums were done by MFSL which frightens reissue companies away, SACDs already issued of some titles, and remasters also done.
5. joplin - Sales potential is not what it should be. MFSL Hybrid SACD is currently being marketed.

Everything here point to no-go unless prices were cheap to license. Look at how #s 3 and 4 already have a bunch of reissue stuff on the market.

oh well. At least he didn't mention Aerosmith who think that they are Led Zeppelin and the Stones all rolled into one, and want a million upfront per album.

July 26th and the D-V home page and FB pages are listing new titles - Both classical and popular:-

This month’s batch of SACD titles represents something of a musical cornucopia, taking in everything from the easy-listening sound of Ray Conniff and the lush sonorities of film music legends Miklós Rózsa, Erich Korngold and Max Steiner, to the relaxed vocal style of country music giant Charlie Rich, and the gritty grooves of Canadian rockers The Guess Who and West Coast psych-pop pioneers Paul Revere and the Raiders. And as if that were not enough diversity, the mercurial Artur Rubinstein is featured in his landmark 1975 recording of Beethoven’s Fifth Piano Concerto.

This is pretty amazing when you think about it. There are now 93 95 100 titles* from the original 358 SQ Quadraphonic LP releases from Columbia that are or were available on multichannel SACD, DVD-A, DVD, DTS-CD or BluRay disc media.

When you think about the end of quad in the late '70s, and how it pretty much was forgotten through the '80s and '90s, only to be resurrected by Brad Miller and DTS Entertainment and further by the SACD and DVD-A era, and now by specialty labels like AF and Dutton-Vocalion, you have to sit back and be a bit awed!

All together now, "Awwwww" :SB

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Columbia.htm

* - As of 7/25/2019
Is there a list like this done from the other majors yet? An RCA, or an EMI quad list with digital modern releases checked?

Is there a list like this done from the other majors yet? An RCA, or an EMI quad list with digital modern releases checked?

I started to redo the RCA page to match the Columbia page, including a new chart with notations as you ask for. I just have to finish it.
Hang in there and I will announce when I get off my ass and finish it. It's "on the list". :)

I started to redo the RCA page to match the Columbia page, including a new chart with notations as you ask for. I just have to finish it.
Hang in there and I will announce when I get off my ass and finish it. It's "on the list". :)
I look forward to basking in the knowledge and audio aural excitement of these lists showing everyone that surround mixes are here, been around for decades, and are not going away.

I was looking at the lists online from a couple of sites “100 Best Albums of the 70s” and counted how many albums were either issued in quad or remixed later into 5.1. It was (just slightly more than) 30% of them no matter which list I combed. And it was many of the stronger albums listed too. For every quad Purple, Sabbath, Floyd, Wings, and Tull in quad, there was a Harvest, Rumours, Electric Warrior, and a Crimson album that appeared later. Showing us that it’s been a slow burn but never a format flameout.

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/5932-top-100-albums-of-the-1970s/
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/70s-rock-albums/
Looking forward to the RCA list!!!!

Last edited:
OK, I recreated the table and added prefix info and digital availability!

I will make the page look more up to date in a few days (or weeks). In the meantime, please check it out and note any errors or omissions.
I would appreciate hearing about anything wrong, as I am not good at classical stuff, and my eyes are now crossed from all of the checking and typing.

Go forth and check!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/rca_page.htm

It’s cool!!! Seems D-V have been the sole excavators of RCA quadraphonic in the SACD era.

Seems like Gil Evans - Plays the Music of Jimi Hendrix would be a good choice and be available for reissue.

Anyway, lots of the good ones here were out on Q4 Reel to Reel tapes. Jerry Reed / Load Mr. Ford got the Q4 release and the conversion to DVD is one knockout! It is to the RCA quad catalog what the Bette Midler is to the Atlantic quad mixes. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but a stellar sounding quad reel for those so inclined.

Last edited:
I did not see two RCAs I think should be on that list (not issued on modern disc), and that is the Waylon Jennings album and The Worst of Jefferson Airplane. Unless my eyes got crossed and I missed them. Himmm?

Last edited:
Last edited:
The QQ Label Pages are LPs only. The reason most everything on the Columbia page is there is because they did not release anything on Q8 that did not appear on SQ (or did they?)

MQ-31368 was released by DV on the same disc as the Concerto for Orchestra, in the same coupling as Sony did. The Dance Suite, also on the record with the Miraculous Mandarin Suite, was not included in either SACD issue. In the future, I'd urge D-V to consider making such tracks SACD quad bonuses, even if they won't fit on the CD layer (and if there's only room for stereo or quad, do quad).

It's been brought up before, but should there be an asterisk for the Sony single-layer discs, which mostly did not seem to be based on the quad mix?

It's been brought up before, but should there be an asterisk for the Sony single-layer discs, which mostly did not seem to be based on the quad mix?

The listing clearly indicates that those releases are 5.1, which is a bit more descriptive than an asterisk. If you have info about some of the classical releases that Sony did back in 2001 and are not noted on the list, let me know and I'll add that info to those entries.

Columbia Notes.jpg

The QQ Label Pages are LPs only. The reason most everything on the Columbia page is there is because they did not release anything on Q8 that did not appear on SQ (or did they?)
Oh ok, so that's the difference. So these other lists in their entirety may eventually then fully reflect what has come out on modern disc from old quad mixed masters. But not right now.

The listing clearly indicates that those releases are 5.1, which is a bit more descriptive than an asterisk. If you have info about some of the classical releases that Sony did back in 2001 and are not noted on the list, let me know and I'll add that info to those entries.

View attachment 42370
Well, it's a 5.1 mix, but it's not one that respects the quad mix, and in fact seems to be entirely missing the elements from the rear channels of the quad mix in some cases. I mostly wonder if we should be properly considering them making the quad mix available digitally at all.

Back