Quad LP/Tape Poll Mancini, Henry: A Warm Shade Of Ivory [Q8/Japan CD-4]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Warm Shade of Ivory"

• 10: Tops in sound, content, mix

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Rather mediocre

• 1: Suck City in all regards

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
One of the maestro's best-selling albums, thanks to "Love Theme from 'Romeo & Juliet'", which was the best-selling instrumental single of 1969.

Program 1:

A Day In The Life Of A Fool
Watch What Happens
By The Time I Get To Phoenix
Meditation
Dream A Little Dream of Me

Program 2:

Love Theme from "Romeo & Juliet"
The Windmills Of Your Mind
When I Look In Your Eyes
In The Wee Small Hours of The Morning
Cycles
Moment To Moment

ED :)

Well, THIS one hasn't riled anyone up, so I'll give it a little review.

As popular as "Love Theme From "Romeo & Juliet"" was at the time (1969) it sounds much less interesting or dynamic as Mr. Mancini's best work, some of which can be sampled in quad on his 1964 BEST OF Q8. Worse--and referencing the original stereo RCA Victor vinyl made it all the more obvious--a few tracks suffer from louder than normal tape hiss. This normally isn't something you would pick up much when listening to vinyl, but Mancini's piano solos, particularly, are isolated, and you can hear the hiss when they are. Add that to the quad separation and the hiss of your average Q8 tape, and, well...it can be distracting. I rated this one a '6' because, while the mix is logical and (by nature of being a mild pop recording) conventional, it suffers from sonic drawbacks that can't be ignored. The orchestra itself, however, and as usual, was nicely recorded and spread out in the mix, and that's what always drew me into Mancini's music: he always knew just when to bring the sweeping strings or brawny brass parts into a performance. He could be brash one moment, subtle and romantic the next. Despite his commercial success and awards, today a tad to underrated. A clever, creative lad, was Henry.

ED :)

Back