HiRez Poll OGRE - Plague of the Planet [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Ogre - PLAGUE OF THE PLANET

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I did a fair amount of raving about this on the thread which Jon links to above but in addition I think one of the central points to consider is that this is a contemporary act releasing an entirely quadraphonic DVDA. There is no stereo and no 5.1 mix on the disc. It's classic rock mixed in a classic quad style and you can buy it right now. We spend so much of our forum time lamenting the lack of new material and often when we do get a new release we get a mix that is average at best or it's a well trodden release. This is exactly what you've asked for and I implore the discerning and benevolent QQers out there to vote with their Paypal account.

My vote of ten for this release is based on the solid basis that the mix and material are a perfect match. It's well engineered and discrete and it stands/demands high volume. Stop mourning your passion and start embracing it. I think everything is going to be ok.

I love how the disc starts with “Requiem”. Acoustic guitars in the front drums at the end in the rear, then you get hit with the guitars on “End Days”. It is sort of reminiscent of Black Sabbath!!

I like the motorbike zooming around on “Drive”. Bass in LS is pretty cool also, and the “electronic effects” in “Battle at Doom Capital” panning around is very cool….

Perhaps my favourite (maybe because it’s a bit of prog epic track @ over 9 mins) is “Dawn of the Proto Man” the organ just sounds nice coming from the rear channels…

Vocals are front and center throughout.

The pictures are a nice touch also…

Recommended!!

I had a chance to listen to this for the first time last night. I love it! For me, it's a real trip back in time. It really reminds me of an early 70's release that I would have listened to on 8-track in my 67 Camaro. Being 4.0, it fits right in with that era as a quadraphonic recording vs a modern day surround recording. The mix is very discrete and there are some great "around the room" effects, which to me, just really make it a true quad recording.
I really like the almost "bootleg/home made" feel of the artwork that is included with the disc.
The vocals are fantastic. The singer is just a great singer on his own. He doesn't particularly remind me of an Ozzy Osbourne or an Alice Cooper. His voice is very original, but just like the music, something I would imagine from a band from the early 70's. Of all the musical comparisons, the disc reminds me most of early Black Sabbath. It has a very similar feel and sound.
It's interesting that Jon Urban made the comment about it feeling like it needs more power. Originally Posted by JonUrban: It almost needs more power than it has, which is hard to describe. I kept looking for a bigger sound at times, so I kept turning it up! I had the very same feeling when I was listening. As per the recommendation on the back of the disc label, it needs to be played as loudly as possible. Unfortunately, living in a condo complex, I didn't have that luxury. I've already gotten noise complaints for playing my music too loud. (It's wonderful to be in your 50's and still being subjected to someone bitching about playing your music too loud! But I guess that's what you get when you buy a condo.)
I really felt like I needed to be listening at a much higher volume, but did not have the luxury of being able to do that.
I am really pleased with the disc. I like the music, I like the mix.
I also think it's great that Dietrich and his company have taken an independent artist like Ogre and created a recording that appeals to all of us who love surround music. Hopefully this will be a trend that continues. With releases from big artists and major labels being few and far between, maybe an answer to the lack of surround music is to discover more relatively unknown artists like Ogre and hook them up with someone like Dietrich.
Also, if you have hesitated ordering this because it's coming from overseas, it's from a small company, you can't figure out how to place an order on the site, take the plunge. Being a small company it's a little different process for ordering, but once you have gone through it, it's a piece of cake. Just send Dietrich and email and tell him what you want. The disc is $22 delivered from Germany to the US. Super fast shipping. It arrived quicker than many discs I've ordered from the States.

Last edited:
I'm a bit late to the party, however I did get Ogre - Plague Of The Planet (and Parsons Thibaud for good measure) ordered a few days ago.

Liked the preview very much, looking forward to this one!

Have just tried to find a way to buy this, and it is not straightforward. Can someone please post a link?

Thanks!

It took me a couple visits to the site to figure out how to actually place an order too. For anyone wanting the disc who hasn't ordered;
1. Go to link provided in previous post; http://www.quadro-surround.de/english/avaiable_productions.html
2. Click on the "Order and Feedback" link on the left side of the screen.
3. Pick out what you want to purchase and send Dietrich an email at the email address listed on the Order and Feedback page.
4. Dietrich will respond to your email, give you the total and instruct you to pay via Paypal.

So, a little different process than other commercial sites, but it all works and they respond and ship very quickly.

I've had this disc in the car for some time now, and I have to say that it really rocks. I do not go out of my way seeking out this style of music these days. Heck, I'm 60 years old, I should be getting into Montavani! :mad:@:

But really, of course I grew up with Black Sabaath and all of the commercial '70s rock and loved it back then, so I still have a part of me that loves to crank it up and listen. This disc is so good, I can't really believe it. I mean, everytime I put this in to listen for a few mintues, I listen to the whole thing.

As I said before, the vocals are terrific. You cannot ask for a better vocal style and range for a release like this. The guitars are exposed and superb, and the licks and hooks are very catchy. It is a very accessable album on its own.

The surround is excellent as well. Hits you over the head at times, when it's needed, and subtle when it's not. It's a very immersive mix, and a tremendous job by Quadro-Surround.

As I said in a previous post that it really needs to be cranked up to enjoy, as it seems to lack a "full power" blast unless it's loud. Probably, as 'ogrequad' has posted, it's because the stereo mix was split apart for surround. I almost want MORE GUITARS when I'm listening. :)

So, I give this a 10, and before some of you go nuts proclaiming that 'every new release gets a 10 around here', well, this one gets one from me. Go through the effort and seek out this disc if you like this style of music.

Dietrich is bending over backwards to make his label work, and if you don't like salsa music, or dixieland band music, or folk music, well here you go. A Quadro-Surround Rock release.

GO GET IT!!

I like this disc very much!Good music,good mix and nice price!Gave it a nine cause I think the bass is a little weak.The bonus track "Colossus" is a 10!

Regards

This release really surprised me, a band I have not heard of and wasn't sure about this being quad versus 5.1.
If you didn't know any better one would think this was a lost mix from Black Sabbath type band from the 70's and now we finally get to listen to it in 2013.
This is very well done as others have said already, music is well done and the mix is great and sound is excellent.
This is a very clean recording, yes you have to use your volume to crank it as I don't think they used any compression on this at all(thats a plus for me, I like really clean recordings as you don't get ear fatigue when cranking something up that rocks).
A 9 for this, great job.

This is a well performed album, recorded and mixed into our favorite format with careful consideration.

The material is thoughtful and the delivery has a menacing swagger not unlike a certain band from the 1970s to be sure. Added to that are some interesting departures and original ballsy riffing that is downright welcome after all these years.

Easily recommended for hard rock fans of all ages.

Really weak production. No slam in the drums whatsoever. No punch in the guitars.

Really weak production. No slam in the drums whatsoever. No punch in the guitars.

I may have been too harsh with this album. The more i listen, the more i like! I do wish they would of really let rip though like the last couple of tracks. The mastering is brilliant; smooth and dynamic. I would welcome more albums from Ogre in 4.0 or 5.1, please.

I may have been too harsh with this album. The more i listen, the more i like! I do wish they would of really let rip though like the last couple of tracks. The mastering is brilliant; smooth and dynamic. I would welcome more albums from Ogre in 4.0 or 5.1, please.

Thanks for the reconsideration, man! I'm glad you are enjoying the album more and more.

FYI - We do have a new album out, called "The Last Neanderthal" (our first since "Plague of the Planet"). Right now, it's a stereo only CD release, so I hesitate to mention it here, but I think you might dig it, as the production is a bit ballsier than "Plague". Maybe someday we'll be able to do this new one in quad or 5.1....

Thanks for the reconsideration, man! I'm glad you are enjoying the album more and more.

FYI - We do have a new album out, called "The Last Neanderthal" (our first since "Plague of the Planet"). Right now, it's a stereo only CD release, so I hesitate to mention it here, but I think you might dig it, as the production is a bit ballsier than "Plague". Maybe someday we'll be able to do this new one in quad or 5.1....

I love it thanks for the release! I thought the drums were a little too simple for the first half; i like lots of fills rather than just a steady beat. Vocals sound amazing! I would prefer more slam in bottom end but as far as the songs go; they are great. I really enjoy it. Bass levels are of course just personal taste. I am not really a fan of AC/DC 'groove' music if you know what i mean, where a beat is laid and kept throughout. I think fills make the songs more enjoyable but i know some producers and artists prefer to keep things simple at times. I guess since getting into heavier music my taste has changed.

I will check out the new album, i don't really buy 2.0 releases these days but will for your CD. Is it a big process to do in quad? I do not understand the technical details? Is it a real pain in the backside and long effort?

I had a chance to listen to this for the first time last night. I love it! For me, it's a real trip back in time. It really reminds me of an early 70's release that I would have listened to on 8-track in my 67 Camaro. Being 4.0, it fits right in with that era as a quadraphonic recording vs a modern day surround recording. The mix is very discrete and there are some great "around the room" effects, which to me, just really make it a true quad recording.
I really like the almost "bootleg/home made" feel of the artwork that is included with the disc.
The vocals are fantastic. The singer is just a great singer on his own. He doesn't particularly remind me of an Ozzy Osbourne or an Alice Cooper. His voice is very original, but just like the music, something I would imagine from a band from the early 70's. Of all the musical comparisons, the disc reminds me most of early Black Sabbath. It has a very similar feel and sound.
It's interesting that Jon Urban made the comment about it feeling like it needs more power. Originally Posted by JonUrban: It almost needs more power than it has, which is hard to describe. I kept looking for a bigger sound at times, so I kept turning it up! I had the very same feeling when I was listening. As per the recommendation on the back of the disc label, it needs to be played as loudly as possible. Unfortunately, living in a condo complex, I didn't have that luxury. I've already gotten noise complaints for playing my music too loud. (It's wonderful to be in your 50's and still being subjected to someone bitching about playing your music too loud! But I guess that's what you get when you buy a condo.)
I really felt like I needed to be listening at a much higher volume, but did not have the luxury of being able to do that.
I am really pleased with the disc. I like the music, I like the mix.
I also think it's great that Dietrich and his company have taken an independent artist like Ogre and created a recording that appeals to all of us who love surround music. Hopefully this will be a trend that continues. With releases from big artists and major labels being few and far between, maybe an answer to the lack of surround music is to discover more relatively unknown artists like Ogre and hook them up with someone like Dietrich.
Also, if you have hesitated ordering this because it's coming from overseas, it's from a small company, you can't figure out how to place an order on the site, take the plunge. Being a small company it's a little different process for ordering, but once you have gone through it, it's a piece of cake. Just send Dietrich and email and tell him what you want. The disc is $22 delivered from Germany to the US. Super fast shipping. It arrived quicker than many discs I've ordered from the States.

The drums are recessed, not up front enough, with no slam. Turning the disc up does not help. It is either a recording or mixing choice. I have no idea how the drums sounded in the studio so it is hard to tell.

The bass in in the rears, is it not? I initially voted 8 but I would take that down to a 6 or 7 now. The material is a 9, I just wish the bass was in the fronts speakers and the album had a large drum sound. The bonus track has much clearer drums.

That being said I am now definitely a fan of Ogre and received TLN this morning.

keenly - Thanks again for your continued honest assessment of this release. I have to say that I agree with you about the "lack of punch" and the placement of the bass strictly in the rears. Dietrich (from Quadro-Surround) have shared some interesting email conversations about our opinions of quad/surround mixing approaches---it was all very respectful and open-minded (Dietrich is a GREAT guy), but I do wish some things had been done differently with the "Plague" quad mix. That said, I finally got my copy of TLN yesterday and I think that, on the whole, Dietrich and Andreas (the quad mixing engineer) have remedied some of these issues, as the overall mix is much more in-your-face than "Plague..." I'm curious to hear what your opinion is of the new album in quad.

Back