Quad LP/Tape Poll Mott The Hoople: The Hoople [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate 'The Hoople'

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Columbia PCQ 32871, from 1974.

Side 1:

The Golden Age of Rock 'N' Roll
Marionette
Alice
Crash Street Kidds

Side 2:

Born Late '58
Trudi's Song
Pearl 'N' Roy (England)
Through the Looking Glass
Roll Away the Stone

Note: Q8 version has this sequencing:

Program 1:

The Golden Age of Rock 'N' Roll
Born Late '58
Pearl 'N' Roy (England)
Through the Looking Glass
Roll Away the Stone

Program 2:

Marionette
Alice
Crash Street Kidds
Trudi's Song

ED :)

4. Roll Away the Stone is great. IMHO, most of the rest is forgettable. I have an SQ, which, fortunately I got as a cutout.

MOTT-THE-HOOPLE-The-Hoople-LP-QUAD-Quadraphonic.jpg

God, do I wish someone would post a Q8 (resequenced, of course) transfer of this. Could be one of the worst SQs ever, total mush. The current SQ transfer out there is abysmal, but as good as could be hoped for.

God, do I wish someone would post a Q8 (resequenced, of course) transfer of this. Could be one of the worst SQs ever, total mush. The current SQ transfer out there is abysmal, but as good as could be hoped for.

I disagree 100% I love it. The channel separations are excellent. The only song that I think sounds weird is Roll Away The Stone.

I disagree 100% I love it. The channel separations are excellent. The only song that I think sounds weird is Roll Away The Stone.
Please name me a worse SQ LP transfer. I can't think of one, out of the hundreds I have heard. Again, I would LOVE to ever hear the Q8 (or a Mike Robin reel, if one exists) of this LP to hear what they were actually trying to accomplish, as I love Mott The Hoople. A cry in the wilderness to Bob Romano.

Please name me a worse SQ LP transfer. I can't think of one, out of the hundreds I have heard. Again, I would LOVE to ever hear the Q8 (or a Mike Robin reel, if one exists) of this LP to hear what they were actually trying to accomplish, as I love Mott The Hoople. A cry in the wilderness to Bob Romano.

not an SQ but Funkadelic Cosmic Slop quad is pretty damn terrible.

not an SQ but Funkadelic Cosmic Slop quad is pretty damn terrible.

Well, the Chi-Lites QR is awful too, as are many others, but I'm talking SQ LPs. The total of two "4" ratings (I'm one of them) tells the tale. Did you vote?

Just voted and gave it a 10. Even with the weird sound on Roll Away the Stone. I love the crazy laughing in the right rear on Marionette.

I realize we can't have a poll for every format of a particular recording, but it doesn't really make for accurate poll results when people are commenting on a matrix decoded LP and a discrete tape recording. If it was CD-4 and Q8 that would at least be a closer starting point, but SQ and Q8 can be two very different animals.

I have a copy of the Q8 of Mott. Haven't listened to it yet. I think it may need a little minor repair before I plug it in. Is that one any good? I don't see a poll for it (hint hint ed, lol)

Also I would like to say that Mott The Hoople naming one album "Mott" and one album "The Hoople" causes much more confusion than the novelty is worth.

Also I would like to say that Mott The Hoople naming one album "Mott" and one album "The Hoople" causes much more confusion than the novelty is worth.

You think that's confusing? Their 1st LP, named Mott The Hoople, BTW, was originally supposed to be titled Sticky Fingers. Their second LPs title, Mad Shadows, was the working title for the Steve Winwood solo album that eventually turned into Traffic's John Barleycorn Must Die.

I realize we can't have a poll for every format of a particular recording, but it doesn't really make for accurate poll results when people are commenting on a matrix decoded LP and a discrete tape recording. If it was CD-4 and Q8 that would at least be a closer starting point, but SQ and Q8 can be two very different animals.
I voted on the SQ LP, not the Q8. All I was saying is that I would like to hear the Q8 after living with the suckitude of the LP for 40 years. We are not allowed to comment on different formats in these polls? News to me.

was it released as a Q8 only?

I just checked the quad discography. I must have burnt the Mott The Hoople Brain cells because it appears that only The Hoople is available on SQ and Q8. Which means I must have the Q8 of The Hoople. I've never listened to it so it's no wonder that the brain cells got rattled. I thought I remember there being a Mott quad, but apparently I am mistaken.

damn... i was hoping there were quad of both ATYD and MOTT. SHIT!!

Sorry about that! This is what I meant by album name confusion, lol. I guess the light at the end of the tunnel is that I can digitize the Q8 eventually.

Back