HiRez Poll Katatonia - DETHRONED & UNCROWNED [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Katatonia - DETHRONED & UNCROWNED

• 10: Great Fidelity, Great Performance, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9:

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • 8:

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • 7:

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Performance, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on the September 2013 5.1 DVD-Audio release from KScope records. (n):phones(y)

Katatonia Dethroned and Uncrowned DVD-A.jpg

I like it a lot. It's like they stripped the metal out which makes it a lot more listenable to me.

There is an odd authoring issue with the MLP Stereo tracks though. Some of the track times are incorrect (as if they were copied from the previous track) resulting in a minute or two of silence at the end. For example, track 1 is 4:51, track 2 should be 3:57, but on the MLP Stereo, it is 4:51 and a minute of silence runs at the end. There are about 4 other tracks where it looks like the previous tracks track time was duplicated resulting in awkward silence at the end of the tracks. The LPCM Stereo track times are correct and sonically identical so not a big deal.

I played mine last night. Won't put in a score yet. A great listen, but had several misfires at the beginning of the tracks. Ugh!

I had my first listen to this today. No issues on the multi-channel playing, on the Denon DBP-21012UD, but I did have to turn on the TV to get it to play, as just pushing Enter a couple of times did nothing, so I had to see what I was doing - could just have been me.

So from a single listen, I like the 4-channel mix, nice bits of soaring synths/orchestra behind/side, and good acoustic & electric guitar. Silje Wergeland the singer from The Gathering really adds to the 2nd track. Its new Prog, a bit 'down-beat' but I really like it. I bought "The Great Cold Distance " purely because it had a surround mix, and got hooked. My own view is "Dethroned & Uncrowned" is better.

So an 8 from me.

It sounds great. I was a little surprised that it is 4.1 instead of 5.1, I'm not sure that affects the sound negatively. The songs have a certain sameness to them, but that's also not necessarily bad. I have never heard the original version, so I can't really compare the two. I'd be interested to see how those who have heard the original assess this version. I gave it an 8 as well.

Hey. I've played the heck out of the Dead End Kings DVD-A, and find that very enjoyable. This "version" stands fantastic on its own. No problem with a 4.1, because the vocals are SOLID upfront center. The mix is perfect for my ears. Describing this as "Chamber Metal" comes to mind. So....one can get this first, then if they are so inclined to get a bit heavier, certainly venture into Dead End Kings.

I'm really enjoying this too.

Has a nice plush sound to it, and the strings and acoustic guitars work well...

Too many things to listen to before I can have a few more listens & vote...

Interesting to hear what was beneath that previous album. I consider this to be a stripped down, "acoustic" style version, not so much ambient, which was what I was hoping for after the announcement that they would explore that side.
For the moment I prefer the Dead End Kings version, but I still like this too. Jonas Renkse is a very special singer. His vocals become rather dominant on Dethroned & Uncrowned. I liked the contrast with the heavier sound.
Nevertheless, a surround DVD-A like this, is very welcome these days. The mix is OK, not gimmicky.

Last edited:
There is an odd authoring issue with the MLP Stereo tracks though. Some of the track times are incorrect (as if they were copied from the previous track) resulting in a minute or two of silence at the end. For example, track 1 is 4:51, track 2 should be 3:57, but on the MLP Stereo, it is 4:51 and a minute of silence runs at the end. There are about 4 other tracks where it looks like the previous tracks track time was duplicated resulting in awkward silence at the end of the tracks. The LPCM Stereo track times are correct and sonically identical so not a big deal.

I noticed the exact same thing when I ripped the stereo MLP using foobar. Tracks 2, 4, 8 and 11 have silence at the end because their track length has been extended to match the track preceding it. I ripped the PCM stereo track from the VIDEO_TS and it is fine.

I must say the 48k/24bit track sounds very good. It sounds significantly better than the CD to my ears. Sometimes I have a hard time hearing the difference, but not so much on this album. I wonder if it is the same master. I'll have to find the time to do a dynamic range check.

I haven't listened in surround yet. No time unfortunately. But, I love the music. Reminds me of Opeth Damnation... oh how I wish that would get released in 5.1 (I believe the mix was done).

For anyone interested, I measured the dynamic range of the CD versus the 48k/24bit PCM track on the DVD.

CD:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Katatonia / Dethroned And Uncrowned
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR7 -0.53 dB -11.55 dB 4:51 01-The Parting
DR8 -0.54 dB -11.68 dB 3:57 02-The One You Are Looking for Is Not Here
DR7 -0.54 dB -10.61 dB 4:13 03-Hypnone
DR8 -0.53 dB -11.12 dB 3:25 04-The Racing Heart
DR8 -0.54 dB -10.66 dB 3:23 05-Buildings
DR8 -0.04 dB -10.96 dB 4:17 06-Leech
DR8 -0.54 dB -12.12 dB 4:30 07-Ambitions
DR7 -0.53 dB -11.57 dB 4:52 08-Undo You
DR7 -0.52 dB -10.77 dB 4:06 09-Lethean
DR9 -0.54 dB -12.69 dB 4:19 10-First Prayer
DR9 -0.54 dB -12.37 dB 4:15 11-Dead Letters

Number of tracks: 11
Official DR value: DR8

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 16
Bitrate: 814 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================

48k/24bit PCM:
Analyzed: Katatonia / Dethroned & Uncrowned (HiRes)

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR7 -0.53 dB -11.60 dB 4:52 01-The Parting
DR8 -0.54 dB -11.62 dB 3:56 02-The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here
DR7 -0.53 dB -10.61 dB 4:13 03-Hypnone
DR8 -0.53 dB -11.12 dB 3:25 04-The Racing Heart
DR8 -0.54 dB -10.66 dB 3:23 05-Buildings
DR8 -0.03 dB -10.95 dB 4:17 06-Leech
DR8 -0.54 dB -12.11 dB 4:30 07-Ambitions
DR7 -0.53 dB -11.57 dB 4:52 08-Undo You
DR7 -0.52 dB -10.77 dB 4:06 09-Lethean
DR9 -0.52 dB -12.69 dB 4:19 10-First Prayer
DR9 -0.53 dB -12.42 dB 4:16 11-Dead Letters

Number of tracks: 11
Official DR value: DR8

Samplerate: 48000 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 1658 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================

So, very little difference. They are the same master, IMO.

Just took it for a ride to the pool store in the Acura and it was very nice. The mix was appropriate, neither overt nor restrained. An effortless 8.

Listening to this again, and which each listening is grows on me. The stripped versions are good on their own. The mix is good as well, some guitar, keys and harmony vocals in the rears, making this a nice balanced mix. A 9 for me.

This arrived today too... finally! Im having a hard time getting stuff form the UK, more than a month and a half!

I like te songs a lot, its a great listen, I still prefer the original "metal" album, but its fun to listen to this downbeat verision and I guess there will be tie to listen to D&U instead of DEK and viceversa

a 8 for me. keep this stuff coming!

I came to really love the original version of this and play it frequently. I still prefer Dead End Kings, but I am very happy to have this 4.1 more mellow version.

I just realized I had not voted for this one yet. I listened to it again last night. I gave it a 9.

Don't let 4.1 scare you away. I didn't miss the center at all. The vocals are right in the center anyways. Very well done.

The surrounds are used very well. They come alive at just the right moment in the songs.

The music is quite mellow, yet dark in tone. Much like Opeth Damnation, except more keys and no drums at all. (Oh how I wish Damnation would get a 5.1 release)

Great to hear the songs in a different light. Very nice when you don't want the heavy in the morning. It really puts a lot of emphasis on lyrics and melodies. But I'm glad it didn't come out in this mix only. If having to chose between the 2, I wouldn't hesitate and pick Dead End Kings any day. That's why I gave it a 9, 'cos I don't feel it's essential, especially for casual fans.
The highlights for me are "Buildings" which almost feels like a different song, "Undo You" and "First Prayer"

Not a bad twist on the album. But as others have mentioned, makes me want to pop in Dead end Kings for the real deal, which I think is a fantastic album!

EDIT:
forgive me, i found it finally...went to BB site and found it there...they also list the upc, so i was able to find on Amazon then.
thx

Does anyone have a link to order this anywhere? I looked on Amazon and couldnt find it...

Also, does include the original version of the album? or just the stripped down version?

Thanks, Wes

EDIT:
forgive me, i found it finally...went to BB site and found it there...they also list the upc, so i was able to find on Amazon then.
thx

Does anyone have a link to order this anywhere? I looked on Amazon and couldnt find it...

Also, does include the original version of the album? or just the stripped down version?

Thanks, Wes

https://www.burningshed.com/store/peaceville/product/241/4885/

...and it's only the stripped down version on the disc. btw thanks for reminding me that I haven't rated this yet. Will give it another listen tonight and rate it. From memory it's at least an eight.

I really enjoy this disc, the surround mix and fidelity are great. It was fun to hear this one BEFORE I had heard Dead End Kings which I bought on CD after and loved as well. I would really love to hear the 5.1 version of Dead End Kings one day... I think the album works great in both the "heavy" (DEK) and mellow (D&U) versions.

Back