HiRez Poll Doors - Waiting For the Sun [DVD-A/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of The Doors - WAITING FOR THE SUN

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations on this title released in first in the "Perception" Box set in the DVD-Audio format, and again in 2014 as a single US SACD (Made in Austria) or as part of the Limited Numbered Edition "Infinite" Box from Analog Productions.

(n) :phones (y)

Waiting Sun Front 700.jpg
Waiting Sun Back 700.jpg

10. IMHO, their best album. Hello, I Love You, Unknown Soldier, Spanish Caravan and Summer's Almost Gone are superb tracks. The mix is a bit sparse, yet great in light of the number of tracks they had to work with. The DVD-A is my fifth copy of this. I have a framed LP cover gracing my wall. One of my 100 favorite albums out of 20,000. If you don't own this, what the hell are you waiting for?

Sidewalk crouches at her feet, like a dog that begs for something sweet...

This album starts off with a BANG in surround with the incredibly groovy "Hello, I Love You". Surround features Robby's guitars and Jim's backing vocals.
You can hear the excellent front separation as well with keys off to the left and drums off to the right.

"Love Street" features Ray's wonderful keyboard touches in the surrounds.
"Not to Touch the Earth" is another surround showcase for Robby's slide guitar that glides over Ray's keyboards.
The lovely "Summer's Almost Gone" is one of my favorite Doors ballads, and it sounds just as lovely and spacious in surround.
"Wintertime Love" has those lovely harpsichord parts in the surrounds, perfectly complementing Jim's poetic lyrics.
"The Unknown Soldier" sounds even more eerie when it starts off with those keyboard flourishes behind you, not to mention the march that goes around all of the speakers before ending in the right surround channel.
"Spanish Caravan" doesn't have as much surround as other songs, which is a shame, cause it could really blow you away if done a little better.
The tribal energy and arrangement of "My Wild Love" makes you feel like you are amongst a throng of singers, with handclaps coming from all directions. Cool!
"We Could Be So Good Together" doesn't have that much surround until the guitar solos, which enter from behind you. Neat effect. I just wish there would be more surround on this track before and after the solos.
"Yes, The River Knows" has some great piano parts in the surround channels, and then the album closes with "Five to One". Not a strong finish as there isn't much surround on this track other than some vocals in the surrounds occasionally.

The album has its weak moments surround-wise, but other than those moments, this is probably the strongest Doors surround mix, so therefore I go with a '9'.

Just listened to the MCH SACD for the first time and totally loved it. Heard lots of little things I never heard before, such as the whistling at the end of Love Street. Not sure if these were additions to the MCH mix or were actually in the original but I will compare. Either way, this has always been my favorite of the original 6 studio albums, and the surround made it all the more better. A 10 all the way. :music

I have a framed LP cover gracing my wall.

I was playing this last night, staring at the cover, thinking, I wish I looked as cool as The Doors!

Agree with the other comments here. It's a bit sparse at times, but what there is, is good. Great sound quality (I have the DVD-A). Jim's vocals suit having their reverb spread all around.

Shame that they didn't finish Lizard and that it's basically stereo, but seeing as it's a bonus track I'm not complaining.

I voted 9. My review is of the Analogue Productions CAPP 74024 SA released 2013.
Hybrid 5.1 SACD DSD64, DR's are 11's, 12's, 13, 15.
The last Doors album I ever owned as an LP, made the leap to cassettes after this for the remaining catalog.
The surround keeps maturing from The Doors, Strange Days, to this.
@rtbluray post # 4 was very helpful to follow with my listen, and I have to agree just as Ryan posted.
This INFORMATION is also very helpful. Beautiful sonics, very strong powerful recording. It seems to me Robby Kreiger guitar talents is also coming of age with this release.
KEEP SURROUND POLLS PURE. NO OFF TOPIC OR NON RELEVENT CHATTER.
R-4950360-1395494004-4707.jpg

SACD 5.1 solid 9 for me, good use of the rears and some 'fun' moments in the mix. Good separation of instruments. Not an album I know particularly well, but found that I enjoyed all the tracks quite a bit and will be returning to this many times in the future.

Back