Quad LP/Tape Poll Santana: Abraxas [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Santana Abraxas"

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 8 25.8%

Votes: 17 54.8%

Votes: 3 9.7%

Votes: 3 9.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Columbia CQ/CAQ 30130, from 1970 (1971 quad).
(and yeah, I know I'm late to the party, since we've discussed the DTS transfer to death for years, but for posterity and all...)

Side 1:

Singing Winds, Crying Beasts
Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen
Oye Coma Va
Incident at Neshabur

Side 2:

Se a Cabo
Mother's Daughter
Samba Pa Ti
Hope You're Feeling Better
El Nicoya

Q8 track listing:

Program 1:

Singing Winds, Crying Beasts
Oye Coma Va
Incident at Neshabur
Mother's Daugher

Program 2:

Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen
Se a Cabo
Samba Pa Ti
Hope You're Feeling Better
El Nicoya

ED :)

Anyone know what the Japanese vinyl is like?

300429114.jpg

Can't say I've heard that disc, but if it isn't superior to Columbia's US or Canadian editions, I'd be very surprised.

ED :)

Anyone know what the Japanese vinyl is like?

300429114.jpg

Funny you should ask cause it's the only LP version I have....
Since I don't have a US pressing , I can't compare...
To me it sounds great...pretty weak bass, but not as weak as the DTS CD abomination.
As always, great vinyl quality , with the extra sheet(s) in Japanese -one of them with VERY early quad systems and their prices in Yen, AND the bigass poster...

Funny thing, the cover has a "silver back" to it , as in, instead of printing the painting on normal white background, it was a SILVER background...pretty groovy!

9. One of my favorite albums. The music is fantastic. The US SQ is a bit lacking on bass. The mix is aggressive, but relies too much on trickery (panning.) I've owned the SQ, Q8, DTS CD, German 2 ch LP, Japan CD, MoFi Gold CD, original US CD, and the expanded CD. Despite its' flaws, the DTS CD is my favorite way to listen to this. In one surround format or another, YOU NEED THIS!

330650233761.jpg

4f346e8c5cccc_110247n.jpg

This doesn't go to 10 just for the extreme mixing, however it is IMHO the best of the original lineup. Don't ask me why, but I and III didn't trick well with me since 1971.

I love it. 10. And if I play one of the first three, I almost invariably play the other two immediately afterward. Just a wondereful phenomenon back then.

Doug

In my top 5 favorite QUAD releases and my favorite Santana album

10 all the way

This was one of my first quads back in the 70's. I have it now on dts cd. Love the music and mix. A definate 10.

This was one of my first quads back in the 70's. I have it now on dts cd. Love the music and mix. A definate 10.

Are you referring to a DTS rip of the Quad LP or Q8?

The actual DTS CD of this was 100% crap!!

I've only heard the DTS CD, which I own and some of the cuts are very thin sounding - particularly Black Magic Woman. Having recently purchased the Audio Fidelity Collection it really sounds like Steve Hoffman, Stephen Marsh and Brian Moura really cleaned up this particular cut and added back some midrange.

I've only heard the DTS CD, which I own and some of the cuts are very thin sounding - particularly Black Magic Woman. Having recently purchased the Audio Fidelity Collection it really sounds like Steve Hoffman, Stephen Marsh and Brian Moura really cleaned up this particular cut and added back some midrange.

My brother-in-law lent me the Abraxas DTS CD. I listened to it once and gave it back as the tonal balance was out of whack. Black Magic Woman on AF's The Collection is so got that it sounds like it was taken from a completely different source. Unfortunately, I have never heard a DTS CD that was anywhere as good as one of DTS's DVD-A's. Makes me wonder how both products could be from the same sponsor.

This has been discussed a few times in the Forum...
Notice that the poll does not include the "DTS CD", only the SQ and Q8.

To sum it up:
Unfortunately, the "masters" that Brad Miller from DTS back in the 90s was...AN ADAT !!! Don't know how many generations from the actual reel and there was something else rather wonky about the EQ, etc. which makes it completely unlistenable.

I had the chance to listen to a conversion of a "Robin" Q4 reel and it was like night and day...

I love Santana..but my all time fave is III...this one is a tie with the 1st one...after III, it was a totally different group and musical style...Caravanserai being my fave---

:smokin

Last edited:
This has been discussed a few times in the Forum...
Notice that hte poll does not include the "DTS CD", only the SQ and Q8...

I know, I know. Sorry, kap'n. Still praying that someday we'll get a Quad SACD or Blu-ray audio of Abraxas (and Santana, III etc. while we're at it) which will make all of this a moot point.

I know, I know. Sorry, kap'n. Still praying that someday we'll get a Quad SACD or Blu-ray audio of Abraxas (and Santana, III etc. while we're at it) which will make all of this a moot point.

Well somebody had better tell Sony (either here in the US or abroad in Japan) to get on it, cause otherwise it will never get done thanks to MOFI's Quadblocking! :mad:

Back