BluRay Music Video Poll The Who - Quadrophenia Live in London [BluRay]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BluRay of The Who - QUADROPHENIA LIVE IN LONDON

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this BluRay release from The Who, recorded in 2013. (n):phones(y)

Attachments

• Who Quadraphenia.jpg
    Who Quadraphenia.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 549
Please post your thoughts and comments on this BluRay release from The Who, recorded in 2013. (n):phones(y)

Sorry if I've missed this somewhere, but where is the poll for the 5.1 Quadrophenia studio album?

Is voting for the recently released blu ray to be combined with the earlier "Rate the DVD-A of The Who - QUADROPHENIA (selections)" poll?

They hit a homerun with this live disc.[if you're on the fence about getting this Blu ray get off the fence and go get it]

Beautifully done! Great performance. Beautiful picture and excellent audio quality. Also - I got goosebumps when Entwhistle's solo burst on the screen. Really great all around.

I've had this for several weeks and have played it more than 5 times, so:

Good:
The entire piece live. All the supporting musical elements seem to be performed live(were the banjos live in Had Enough?)
Much better than the "star studded" :mad:@: 1996 performance.

Pino did a fabulous job on bass. And he had a deep full bass sound which presents the music better than John Entwhistle's overly flanged & thin trebly bass on the 1996 tour.

Bad:
Quadrophenia performed by "Who's Left?". The band made a huge mistake by having Pino & Simon dressed all black. Its like they
are not there at all.

100% focus on Roger & Pete. Quadrophenia is a group piece. If it is gonna be presented by group, the group should be recognized & shown properly.
Way too much fast camera cuts and Roger & Pete ALL the time. Production gets a 4.

Stupid videos which can't be bypassed for the album's two best songs! Quadrophenia & The Rock.

I'm not sure I could watch this again. WAY too much Roger & Pete.

I gave it an 8 cause I love this record.

By the waaaaaaaay......

The CD live audio recording is a very nice surprise and I enjoyed that all weekend. Very balanced sound with all the supporting instruments! I'll be using this
when I need my 2013 Live Quadrophenia fix. (y)

Thanks for the useful review. I have been referring to them as Horton's Half-a-Who for some time now. Indeed, Give it up for a truly great rhythm section!

From QQ deep space

From the comments I read, that most people like this disc. Well, I don't! First of all, you don't see any of the musicians playing on stage (apart from Roger and Pete, that is, and these are two old guys I don't want to see for two hours), so there's never the feeling of a band playing the music.
Second - am I the only one who finds it strange when two 70 years old guys are singing about living with their parents and driving a GS scooter? I'd find it much better if they had used the past tense.
And third, but most important: I think Roger's voice is gone. In my oppinion he is struggling from the first note, and it's getting worse during the show. Some good looking background singers could've helped here.
I think it's giving cause for concern when the best part of the show is John Entwistle's bass solo on screen (man, this is great).

Prince's Trust, Hyde Park, London June 29, 1996:
On April 23, 1996 organizers of the MasterCard Masters of Music Concert announced that Eric Clapton, The Who, Bob Dylan and Alanis Morissette were to headline "the biggest rock concert in London's Hyde Park for 20 years". Held to benefit The Prince's Trust Fund, a crowd of up to 150,000 people was expected to attend the June 29th event. It was to be the main event of the year's National Music Festival and was timed to coincide with the eve of the final in Britain of the Euro '96 football championships.

Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey and John Entwistle, plus special guests, would be performing Quadrophenia, live - in it's entirety, for the very first time. Their drummer for the event - Zak Starkey. They sold 150,000 tickets in 48 hours.

This is the performance I have been looking for. Rodger had a eye patch on and Gary Glitter was used.

Last edited:
Back