HiRez Poll Who, The - QUADROPHENIA (complete) [BluRay]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Who - QUADROPHENIA (complete) [BluRay]

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
To Comments.png
Please post your thoughts and comments on this Blu Ray release from The Who, the complete album QUADROPHENIA. (Previously only available in a DVD-A containing only 8 of the tracks) (n):phones(y)

Attachments

• WhoQuadroAudio.jpg
    WhoQuadroAudio.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 1,009
Last edited by a moderator:
I voted 10, because it is a 10. I love the mix, nice and discrete. Nothing to complain about at all, although I love the music, objectively, I think the mix is fabulous.
Quadrophenia (the original recording) doesn't have "room stretching" dynamic range like PF - DSOTM or WYWH. But if one compares the 2.0 mix to the 5.1 mix it is spectacular, lacking nothing, IMHO. This 5.1 issue I consider to be similar to EJ - Capt Fantastic: a must have 5.1.

The content is of course a 10 (minimum). Surround mix is a 10. Sound is a 10 (although sometimes I feel that John Entwistle's bass could be a bit more prominent in the mix...). And for the small pictures in the booklet I already have the super deluxe edition of Quadrophenia (good I bought it... just kiddin') as well as the original LP, so I can look at these while listening.

It's great to finally get this disc in, but unfortunately Mr Moore won't be pleased to know that I can't give this one a full '10' and have settled for a '9'.
Main reason is that there are some mixing decisions that I just don't agree with. It's not necessarily how I envisioned the 5.1 mix would sound.
Now that's not a completely negative thing. I do like the way most of the tracks sound, but I think that the mix would have sounded better if Bob Pridden would have stayed a bit more faithful to the balances and panning of the original mix.

This mix is definitely worth getting as the standalone Blu-Ray, but I would NOT recommend buying the gigantic "Live in London" set as the only other disc that's worth owning in the set is the Blu-Ray of the live show (in essence don't bother with the DVD and CDs)

HFPA continues to get better and better with this disc and the recent Bob Marley disc (which is even better than this one!) :)

I'm not voting yet, but I'd like to nit-pick: I wish the pop-up menu wouldn't make "click" noise while the music is playing. I never understood why authors add the click sound.

Just got this today. Thrilled to have something new to listen to. Five tracks in and it's very nice.

I enjoyed the "sampler" DVD-A, and clearly there is even more here to enjoy. I know some folks find some of the mixing choices a bit unorthodox, but I rather appreciate that. I almost gave this a 9 just to avoid rating inflation (there are times I wish I could go back and do a more systematic rerating of albums on QQ as I've been more exposed to surround sound and my tastes have evolved) but I just can't. This gets a 10 for me.

It's a "10" in my book as I mentioned on a related thread.

Aside from the music, I like how they chose to have the slide show video content on screen. I have a few BDAs and one DVD-A now and it's interesting how the various discs choose to handle video while the music is playing. So far I've seen blank screen, static menu and now this is the first slide show I've run across. I think it's just good to use the screen for something and liner material just seems to make a lot of sense. Instead of looking at disc sized images, you get to see them on your flat panel display. Seems like a no-brainer to me to automatically include this with all of these BDAs, even the credits as an accessible page. That said, sometimes I turn the video off while listening or change the video input to something else and "watch tunes", but it's still nice when the disc at least has a screen-saver included.

It's a "10" in my book as I mentioned on a related thread.

Aside from the music, I like how they chose to have the slide show video content on screen. I have a few BDAs and one DVD-A now and it's interesting how the various discs choose to handle video while the music is playing.

I like the slide show. The producers of the Jackson Brown Running on Empty DVD-Audio offered a slide show, but only as a bonus feature. Hopefully the slideshow will become a standard feature. I really hope the idea of digging into the corporate music servers will bring us more 2.0/5.1 lossless Blu-ray audio titles. I was so sad to see the Rhino Quadio series fizzle, but everybody knows that crap or not, there are many surround albums, new and vintage remixes, lurking on servers. Maybe somebody upstream will wake up.

Whoops, I forgot to comment. 10 I say, 10 out of 10. I know that Pete sold off his financial stake in his music a few years back and bless for that. It probably opened the door to this release.

Listened last night, a little front centric but hearing lots of little things like Ox's brass arrangements. Nice slide show as well. So, a 10 from moi. I used the Tru mix. DTS for another night.

Oh just loved it. Nicely immersive, nice panning, very forceful and present to my ears, even if the bass could be a little stronger. Moonie sounds tremendous. Love the mix. And I got lost in the music entirely - always a good sign, right? Wonderful album - just brilliant to have it all in 5.1 finally.

9 is the old 10
great mix good choice of extras Stereo original mix as well as new mixes and 5.1, HFPA seem to have got this one closer to good value.

Then Gentle Giant dropped on the door step just to remind me what should be a 10 (value mix extras etc.)

Just got the blu-ray audio disk last week. Bass a little anemic, but glad to hear dynamic range, moderation in the mastering. Very pleased to have this. A friend of mine spoke to Townshend about a 5.1 remix of this album almost a decade ago and he conceded that it was in the works but incredibly problematic - they had to rebuild tape machines, find missing tapes, etc. Great to hear it completed. Wonder if a new 5.1 mix for the film will be next?

After several plays I vote an 8. It has some very good moments to be sure but lacks the immersive and revelatory 'wow' factor common to the best discs. I'm not fond of many of the mixing choices and find levels to be inconsistent, particularly bass and vocals. That being said, I still find it an enjoyable listen and am glad to have it (it is my favorite Who album). Bonus points for the Blu-Ray menu with the ARP modular synth pic! Totally fab.

Perfect 10! My favorite album. I just finished setting up the new surround system in the new house and this was the first disc I played. I'm on my third beer and I'm in heaven listening to this!

I finally received mine yesterday and listened straight thru only 1 time so far. I must say that I have to strongly disagree with anyone who has given this a 10. The mix is very inconsistent and really lacks the punch and balls of the stereo mix. Some songs sound good and other not so much. For instance the segue from The Real Me into Quadrophenia has always been really dramatic here it's just totally dull. As mentioned already the vocals in places are too low. I don't know if it's just me but some of the parts sound a bit misaligned as well, like not syncing properly.

I give it a 6.

Back