HiRez Poll Montenegro, Hugo - ROCKET MAN: A TRIBUTE TO ELTON JOHN & MAMMY BLUE [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Hugo Montenegro - ROCKET MAN: A TRIBUTE TO ELTON JOHN & MAMMY BLUE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2017 Multichannel SACD release from Dutton Vocalion of two classic Hugo Montenegro albums, "Rocket Man - A Tribute to Elton John" & "Mammy Blue". The SACD features the classic 1970s Quadraphonic mixes of both albums.

(n) :) (y)

Rocket Man - A Tribute To Elton John
1: BLASTOFF (J. Montenegro) soloist: John Montenegro (synthesizer)
2: ROCKET MAN (John; Taupin) soloist: Chuck Findley (trumpet)
3: THE BITCH IS BACK (John; Taupin) soloist: Gary Barone (trumpet)
4: GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD (John; Taupin)
5: PHILADELPHIA FREEDOM (John; Taupin)
6: TAKE ME TO THE PILOT (John; Taupin)
7: YOUR SONG (John; Taupin) soloist: Dave Blume (synthesizer)
8: LOWDOWN HOEDOWN (Blume)
9: DANIEL (John; Taupin)
10: LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS (Lennon; McCartney)
11: SPLASHDOWN (J. Montenegro)

Arrangers: Hugo Montenegro [2-7, 9-10]
John Montenegro [1, 11], Dave Blume [8]
Conductor: Hugo Montenegro
ARP synthesizer: John Montenegro

Mammy Blue
12: ALL I CAN DO (Simmonds; Raymond)
13: UNCLE ALBERT/ADMIRAL HALSEY (P & L McCartney)
14: SUPERSTAR (Russell; B & D Bramlett)
15: MEDLEY: IF I WERE A RICH MAN (Bock; Harnick) – FIDDLER ON THE ROOF (Bock; Harnick)
16: MAMMY BLUE (Giraud; Trim)
17: I FEEL THE EARTH MOVE (King)
18: PEACE TRAIN (Stevens)
19: THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN (Robertson)
20: ZINGARO (FROM SUNSET UNTIL DAWN) (Mattone; Migliacci; Wayne)
21: YO-YO (South)
22: MOVIN’ ON (J. Montenegro)

Arranger/conductor: Hugo Montenegro
ARP synthesizer: John Montenegro

Multi-ch Stereo
All tracks available in stereo and multi-channel

SA-CD
This hybrid CD can be played on any standard CD players

CDSML8536

81%2Bq94FX0CL._SL1429_.jpg

Received this disc in the mail today along with Mancini- Pink Panther and Main Ingredient.

Much like the Project 3 and Ovation quad stuff, I find it hard to objectively rate these HM titles (I have all the D-V releases and the CD-4 LPs). This one is especially hard to rate since the real Elton recordings are out on SACD, but I do my best to ignore that fact and enjoy it for what it is when listening.

I have a sort of affection for the HM quads as I've had the CD-4 discs for a long time, but when you look at them from a modern standpoint they definitely lose something. It's evident many of these were done just to demo the CD-4 system, as a lot of it seems like surround just for the sake of it. The arrangements certainly skirt the line between amusingly inventive and seriously silly and/or dated. But on the other hand, the musicianship is pretty good, the fidelity is solid, and the quad mixes are really discrete and fun. I often wonder if HM would have been better off mixing other artists' work back in the day, as he shows a real knack for putting together discrete and well-balanced mixes.

Interesting point to note regarding Mammy Blue. The version of "I Feel The Earth Move" on Mammy Blue seems to feature the same instrumental track and/or singers as the version on Love Theme From The Godfather, but the mix is completely different. Some of the drum parts and vocals are clearly from a different take. I wonder if this track was purposely redone for the Godfather disc, as that was the first RCA CD-4 title released in the United States. That version of the mix is clearly more active and kind of gimmicky (but still fun).

I suppose I should talk about Rocket Man, since this is the poll thread for that disc :).

The mixes are overall good, and the arrangements are hit or miss. Love the mix and arrangement of the title track, with the sax and trumpet tradeoffs in the rear corners. That and "Philadelphia Freedom" are probably my favorites. "Yellow Brick Road" doesn't really work for me with the moog replacing the vocals and some others also don't fare too well.

Bottom line- not something I could listen to every day, but I'm glad these HM quad SACDs and are available at an affordable price. Solid 8.

I would rate rocket man a 9, but Mammy blue i would rate 7. Overall i vote 8. Really like the rocket man one. Great quad on both.

This is some weird music... but some of it really works (and a lot of it doesn't)... the fidelity of "Rocket Man" is very good (and better than that of "Mammy Blue", but it's still good as well). The mixes are discrete and active. There are no vocals on "Rocket Man" (which is good, IMO... the songs with lots of vocals on "Mammy Blue" don't work as well for me). Standout tracks include "Rocket Man", "Philadelphia Freedom", "Take Me To The Pilot", "Your Song", "Uncle Albert & Admiral Halsey" (because it so eclectic), "If I Were A Rich Man", and "Mammy Blue". 8.

Back