Quad LP/Tape Poll Graham Central Station: Ain't No 'Bout-A-Doubt It [CD-4/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the CD4/Q8 of Graham Central Station - Ain't No 'Bout-A-Doubt It

• 7 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Released in 1975, Ain't No 'Bout-A-Doubt It was GCS' third LP and second (and final) quad release, with 1974's Release Yourself having been overlooked for quad release for some reason. The LP peaked at #4 in the R&B charts, and spawned three R&B hit singles - Your Love (#1), The Jam (#15) and It's Alright (#19).

The CD-4 release was the first LP to be cut using the JVC Cutting Center's "Mark III Discrete Cutting head" although I can't tell you if that's a good or bad thing. I also believe this album was one of the Warner Bros. label's final quad releases, if not the very final one.

gcs-anbadi-lp1.jpggcs-aint-1.jpggcs-aint-2.jpg

Warner Bros. BS4 2876 [CD-4 LP] WB L9B 2876 [Q8]
Discogs links: LP / Q8
Wiki page for the album: Ain't No 'Bout-A-Doubt It

Side 1:
  1. The Jam
  2. Your Love
  3. It's Alright
  4. I Can't Stand The Rain
Side 2:
  1. It Ain't Nothing But A Warner Brothers Party
  2. Ole Smokey
  3. Easy Rider
  4. Water
  5. Luckiest People

I’m plagued by sub-par fidelity on this one--my copy of the CD-4 LP and a Q8 conversion I found a while back are both pretty dull and muddy-sounding--but I really like the music and quad mix. To me, this is a Sly & The Family Stone album in pretty much everything but name. Funky stuff! The quad mix is really well-done: active when the music calls for it (some great use of the ‘swirling’ effect throughout) and generally immersive with lots of elements (backing vocals, rhythm guitar, organ, horns, etc) isolated in the rears.

The opening track, “The Jam”, kicks off with a guitar rapidly swirling around-the-room and eventually settles into a groove with the drum kit seemingly everywhere, bass guitar and organ in the rears, and lead vocal in the center. Another highlight for me is their epic cover of “I Can’t Stand The Rain”, which begins with atmospheric rainstorm sounds coming from all four corners and later features some great front-to-back call/response vocal action.

Suffice to say, I’d love to hear what this sounds like from the quad master tapes.

Greasy psychedelic funk makes a last mid-70s stand! (With a mix to match.) This album kicks some serious booty. Larry Graham lets his hair down, but also shows his gospel, doo-wop and R&B roots. Fabulous mix brings clarity and separation to often busy arrangements. (I especially love the weather-related effects on "Can't Stand the Rain" and "Water.") Sonics on the CD-4 conversion I have are practically hi-res. Easy "9."

Last edited:
Back