Quad LP/Tape Poll Rufus featuring Chaka Khan: Rufusized [QS/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the QS/Q8 of Rufus featuring Chaka Khan - Rufusized

• 8 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7 -

• 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Rufus's third LP, and second release of 1974 (after May's Rags to Rufus), Rufusized was released in stereo in December of that year and in quad in early 1975. A top-10 hit on both the pop and R&B charts, the album produced the hit single Once You Get Started, written by Gavin Christopher, who (in addition to penning three songs for the next Rufus album) would also go on to collaborate with Herbie Hancock on two of his early-80s albums, Monster and Magic Windows.

rufusized-LP-1.jpgrufusized-q8-1.jpg

ABC Command Quadraphonic CQD-40023 [QS LP] ABC 7022-837 H [Q8]
Discogs links: LP / Q8
Wiki page for the album: Rufusized

Side 1
  1. Once You Get Started
  2. Somebody's Watching You
  3. Pack'd My Bags
  4. Your Smile
  5. Rufusized (Instrumental)
Side 2
  1. I'm a Woman (I'm a Backbone)
  2. Right is Right
  3. Half Moon
  4. Please Pardon Me (You Remind Me of a Friend)
  5. Stop On By

Okay; I'll start. Hard to decide whether I like this album or Rags to Rufus better. This is not factory-produced, assembly-line funk: Khan and the other writers aren't afraid of modulation and jazz voicings, their arrangements are never run-of-the-mill, and even though this was their second album in the space of a year, there's very little filler here. (Okay: the soul anthem "Please Pardon Me" doesn't do as much for me as the rest of the album, although it doesn't make me hit the "advance" button, either; same goes for the proto-disco "Stop On By," even if it is Bobby Womack). But everything else is fi-i-ine, from the exuberant opener to the sultry "Your Smile" to the kick-ass "I'm a Woman" to the chooglin "Half Moon." Production and sonics are great, and while I haven't heard the Q8, I think the Command Quadraphonic gets a respectable amount of separation. 10 for content, 9 for sound, 8 for mix. "9" overall.

Last edited:
Okay, i'll jump in! Let me start by saying i mos def prefer Rufusized to Rags to Rufus, which is not a disrespect of the latter but a reflection of the high regard i have for the former as a total presentation of the range and power of the band . . . and their lead singer! For me, the only possible filler, which i don't skip, is the instrumental; it reminds me of the power and prowess of the players, with two new members: Tony Maiden on guitar and Bobby Watson on bass. I think @humprof nails the descriptions of the great album tracks, so i won't cover those. I will add that the album opens with a powerful one-two punch: after "the exuberant opener" comes the snaky and funky and trippy "Somebody's Watching You," on which Chaka Khan displays even more vocal pyrotechnics and absolutely exudes confidence as the front woman. "Pack'd My Bags" is another winner for me, slowing the pace with a nice Kevin Murphy piano intro and some seriously steamy and poignant Khan vocals. One point where @humprof and i diverge is the way the album comes to closure. Although i certainly see where he's coming from (and have mad respect for his opinion), for me "Please Pardon Me" is a sophisticated "soul anthem" that packs a real, poignant power after the preceding choogler – great horn chart, too! And the closer is a wonderful, soaring duet for Maiden and Khan over another snaky stop-start syncopated funk strut. For my ears, a total package from beginning to end, all held within a great gatefold cover! And maybe . . . not maybe – definitely – i'm enamored of the SM v.2, and this one sounds great to my aging aspect! Really brings me back to those funky mid-seventies halcyon daze. I'm with @fredblue on this one – 10!

Last edited:
Back