3 Channel Stereo SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I just finished, I think, my last rip of SACD using the OPPO, Sonore combo.
640 SACD discs various stereo, 5.1, 4.0, 3.0 and a few mono.
What a job. I think I am gonna buy another Harddrive to back up the NAS, the thought of losing all this would be horrible.
Next I would like to learn how to rip my DVD-A collection, but I need a break for awhile.
Thanks everybody.

Ah ok - Just with a center channel it seems.....
Could be interesting to find out if a triangle setup could give a fine surround experience; Would be easy with wireless speakers.

My experience in listening to them as I have quite a few, is the added center channel opens the vocals/music up. Certain recordings in stereo have a really great phantom center, which these of course have an actual center. They are SACD and that in itself really opens the music up but by adding a usable center my stereo sound stage is very wide, wall to wall, quite beautiful. If you wanted to try one I would recommend the Nat King Cole Story, excellent.
I would not advise trying to turn it into surround, I would advise listening to it as a great 3.0 experience, it is older music, more analog and very nice the way it was recorded.

My experience in listening to them as I have quite a few, is the added center channel opens the vocals/music up. Certain recordings in stereo have a really great phantom center, which these of course have an actual center. They are SACD and that in itself really opens the music up but by adding a usable center my stereo sound stage is very wide, wall to wall, quite beautiful. If you wanted to try one I would recommend the Nat King Cole Story, excellent.
I would not advise trying to turn it into surround, I would advise listening to it as a great 3.0 experience, it is older music, more analog and very nice the way it was recorded.

The Nat King Cole title is excellent(y)

When you hear a 3-channel release, you're usually hearing the original 3-track master tape, which would be mixed down for consumer stereo/mono release. The fidelity tends to be awesome, but the mix can be wonky - not all of these tapes were meant to be listened to in that format. I've pointed specifically to the Analogue Productions SACD of Alexander Nevsky (the RCA Living Stereo / Fritz Reiner recordings) - the chorus is fixed completely unnaturally in the right channel in 3-channel mode, which feels to be like something that you'd do on the master tape but not on a consumer release.

When you hear a 3-channel release, you're usually hearing the original 3-track master tape, which would be mixed down for consumer stereo/mono release. The fidelity tends to be awesome, but the mix can be wonky - not all of these tapes were meant to be listened to in that format. I've pointed specifically to the Analogue Productions SACD of Alexander Nevsky (the RCA Living Stereo / Fritz Reiner recordings) - the chorus is fixed completely unnaturally in the right channel in 3-channel mode, which feels to be like something that you'd do on the master tape but not on a consumer release.

And unless you have THREE perfectly matched front speakers [including cables and amplification], I prefer to switch off the center channel and listen in stereo. In my summer home I have two B&W 802 Nautilus speakers and a B&W center channel which B&W themselves recommended....when I played the AP Nat King Cole three channel SACDs, the center sounded weak compared to the full range L&R 802's. By turning off the center.....it sounded much better to my ears.

I was unable to use three full range 802's across the front as I have a projection screen in the middle. And try purchasing only one 802.....they ALL come in pairs.

And unless you have THREE perfectly matched front speakers [including cables and amplification], I prefer to switch off the center channel and listen in stereo. In my summer home I have two B&W 802 Nautilus speakers and a B&W center channel which B&W themselves recommended....when I played the AP Nat King Cole three channel SACDs, the center sounded weak compared to the full range L&R 802's. By turning off the center.....it sounded much better to my ears.

I was unable to use three full range 802's across the front as I have a projection screen in the middle. And try purchasing only one 802.....they ALL come in pairs.
Just so I'm clear, I really appreciate the inclusion of the 3-channel mix. If the balances are off, I can switch to stereo. And if they're good, all the better.

Just so I'm clear, I really appreciate the inclusion of the 3-channel mix. If the balances are off, I can switch to stereo. And if they're good, all the better.

I understood your post perfectly but I'm just relating the fact that by NOT utilizing three IDENTICAL front speakers, it's a waste of time. And you also can't engage DSP surround in three channel mode, as well [unless I'm missing something].

Of course.
I understood your post perfectly but I'm just relating the fact that by NOT utilizing three IDENTICAL front speakers, it's a waste of time. And you also can't engage DSP surround in three channel mode, as well [unless I'm missing something].
Depends on your equipment. ;)

Listening now to The Nat King Cole Story 3.0 SACD, ripped, played through a JRiver 3.0 player. All my titles are (album name>5.1, 4.0, 3.0, 2.0) I have 4 players in JRiver, just punch and go. The 3.0 titles work best with a 6 channel DSP out. JRiver in there list of channel selections has a 2.1 then a 4.0, which neither work with 3.0, so therefore the 6.0 works best leaving the front left, center, and front right to work perfectly, no hum or static from the rears, dead silent.

Listening now to The Nat King Cole Story 3.0 SACD, ripped, played through a JRiver 3.0 player. All my titles are (album name>5.1, 4.0, 3.0, 2.0) I have 4 players in JRiver, just punch and go. The 3.0 titles work best with a 6 channel DSP out. JRiver in there list of channel selections has a 2.1 then a 4.0, which neither work with 3.0, so therefore the 6.0 works best leaving the front left, center, and front right to work perfectly, no hum or static from the rears, dead silent.

Always thought this one was startling, sounds like he's standing right in my family room singing!
Hey marpow, I like Harry Belafonte also, have you heard this one from Harry, and if you do, how does it sound (it is a live one.)
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/9653
I don't have it but I also wish they'd-??? put one out by Harry similar in quality to the Nat King Cole Story.:)

Always thought this one was startling, sounds like he's standing right in my family room singing!
Hey marpow, I like Harry Belafonte also, have you heard this one from Harry, and if you do, how does it sound (it is a live one.)
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/9653
I don't have it but I also wish they'd-??? put one out by Harry similar in quality to the Nat King Cole Story.:)
Yes, I have that one.

Back