3 Channel Stereo SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I have that one.

What do you think of the sound of that live Harry Belafonte, I may want to get it depending on the overall quality?
(I don't expect it to be as good as Nat's since it's a live show.)
And hey, one of my favorite scenes in Beetlejuice, was Winona Ryder and "Jump In The Line"!

Last edited:
What do you think of the sound of that live Harry Belafonte, I may want to get it depending on the overall quality?

It's the one to get. Much better than the earlier RCA Hong Kong Stereo SACD edition.
And it has some bonus tracks as well. :)

Belafonte%20at%20Carnegie%20Hall%20-%20the%20Complete%20Concert.jpg

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue78/belafonte_carnagie.htm

Ah ok - Just with a center channel it seems.....
Could be interesting to find out if a triangle setup could give a fine surround experience; Would be easy with wireless speakers.

Oh, guys - this is great. I loaded tracks 2 and 4 of Seven Steps To Heaven ("Seven Steps to Heaven" and "So Near So Far") into Audacity and moved the FL to RL and FR to RR and I love it. So now I've got Ron Carter and Miles in the center speaker, Herbie Hancock in the rear left, and George Coleman & Anthony Williams in the rear right. If you don't like drums in the rear, this is not for you, but I love the way it puts me in the middle of that session.

I love it!

Oh, guys - this is great. I loaded tracks 2 and 4 of Seven Steps To Heaven ("Seven Steps to Heaven" and "So Near So Far") into Audacity and moved the FL to RL and FR to RR and I love it. So now I've got Ron Carter and Miles in the center speaker, Herbie Hancock in the rear left, and George Coleman & Anthony Williams in the rear right. If you don't like drums in the rear, this is not for you, but I love the way it puts me in the middle of that session.

I love it!

Hmmmmm - this could be the start of a beautiful relationship- triangulation of the aural pathways:unsure: :SB

I love it!

Doctor Doctor, gimme the news...got a bad case of :love::51QQ:love: o_Oo_Oo_O; wait a minute where's my Robert Palmer in surround:mad:

I understood your post perfectly but I'm just relating the fact that by NOT utilizing three IDENTICAL front speakers, it's a waste of time. And you also can't engage DSP surround in three channel mode, as well [unless I'm missing something].
You didn't ask me. But, great 5.1 - 4.0 & 3.0 surround sound can come out of your system beautifully. Even with mismatched speakers wonderful things can happen. Like Kal said, it depends on your equipment. If it is great and performing well, it could beat lesser speakers that indeed do match in a 3.0 playback. Some might not agree I know.

As an example, I have two tall Sony speakers for my front L & R, then two small (second to smallest) Infinitys as my center, with two larger Infinity speakers as surround L & R.

So my center is handled by two tiny tots next to each other in a bookcase front and center perfectly. Everything is either a different brand or different sizes.

The biggest difference in any of the sets is the center is so much smaller than any other the others. But I do use two of them.

So to make a long story even longer, it all works very nicely together. The 3-channel programs sound unreal. Quad and 5.1 are great as well. I just replaced my AVR which was getting old, with an even older one. I found a 20 year old Denon that has more transparency and smoother everything than my newer Onkyo which I thought sounded good. I thought that the only way I was going to get better sound was going to with a better DAC and/or nicer speakers that are a closer match at least. But this thrift store score AVR ($19.99) was a surprising improvement. So I say go for surround even if you start with mismatched pieces. At least get same thing going in both surrounds and same thing in both fronts like I did even if they are not same brand. They just need to be good quality to begin with. No crackles or breakup in speakers performance, clean amp with enough juice for 6 chans.

This is the latest 3-channel SACD I have been listening to. And this performance and recording is unreal. Love the sound I am getting lately.

Performer: Byron Janis
Orchestra: Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra
Conductor: Kyril Kondrashin
Composer: Serge Prokofiev

Format: Hybrid SACD - DSD 3-channel
Mercury Living Presence

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-surround-volume-2.20127/page-831#post-405588

Last edited:
Back