3 Surround Sound SACDs from Vocalion - Paul Mauriat, Ray Davies & Swingle Singers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Swingle Singers disc is truly remarkable.

I have now listened right through it three times.

It is one of the best discs (albums) that I have ever heard. Much of it is breathtakingly beautiful - the sopranos are gorgeous.

The highlights are tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9.

Material - 10
Sound - 10
Mix - 10

It's so gratifying to hear you're so enamored with the Swingle Singers release. Can't wait to receive mine.

While we're on the subject of Philips 60's recordings, I really wish Dutton Vocalion could remaster/even remix into 4.0/5.1 the original Mystic Moods Orchestra album "One Stormy Night." An extremely haunting album and there's even a track from MoFi's founder Brad Miller involving just the sounds of a train first in the distance and then passing by full throttle with a thunderous sound. I'd even settle for a stereo SACD. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...EE7262DFAB6B3AF26ADFEE7262DFAB6B&&FORM=VDRVRV

As previously mentioned, the Philips vinyl of the time was atrocious and just glad to finally have the Swingle Singers in QUAD [never would've imagined that].

Thank you Dutton Vocalion.:mad:@:

It's so gratifying to hear you're so enamored with the Swingle Singers release. Can't wait to receive mine.

While we're on the subject of Philips 60's recordings, I really wish Dutton Vocalion could remaster/even remix into 4.0/5.1 the original Mystic Moods Orchestra album "One Stormy Night." An extremely haunting album and there's even a track from MoFi's founder Brad Miller involving just the sounds of a train first in the distance and then passing by full throttle with a thunderous sound. I'd even settle for a stereo SACD. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...EE7262DFAB6B3AF26ADFEE7262DFAB6B&&FORM=VDRVRV

As previously mentioned, the Philips vinyl of the time was atrocious and just glad to finally have the Swingle Singers in QUAD [never would've imagined that].

Thank you Dutton Vocalion.:mad:@:

the surround on the Swingle SACD is stunning., I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thanks for the mini review, Adam. How is the Paul Mauriat two~fer?

hey Ralph, its excellent surround with great sound, as is the Ray Davies SACD.
these two are both healthy length discs being two whole albums on one SACD (Swingle's fab, really great surround sound.. but felt a bit short by comparison, that's my only very minor niggle with that one though).

none of this easy listening stuff is my default setting at all ("I'm a Soul man.."!!) but the execution in arrangements, production, surround mix engineering and the final mastering of Dutton Vocalion on these three new discs for June is exemplary.

basically you're getting 5 new Quad albums across 3 discs for £30-odd quid plus shipping.
oh and the liner notes even are a step up from before (these are by Oliver Lomax) with snippets from a more recent interview with Ray Davies etc. great stuff.

honestly, i don't know how this label does it. the quality, for the money, is so high. i hope they keep on doing what they're doing and branch out because some of my beloved Philly Soul Quads in these guys' hands or some of the more popular Rock & Pop Quad titles many here want could be killer if released on Surround SACD by Dutton Vocalion, i would say. roll on Summer! or Christmas! or whenever the next batch is coming along!

honestly, i don't know how this label does it. the quality, for the money, is so high.

I wonder how much of the price difference between Dutton-Vocalion and the American companies is due to licensing costs?

Meanwhile, the more they release the better. I'm enjoying all of them.

hey Ralph, its excellent surround with great sound, as is the Ray Davies SACD.
these two are both healthy length discs being two whole albums on one SACD (Swingle's fab, really great surround sound.. but felt a bit short by comparison, that's my only very minor niggle with that one though).

none of this easy listening stuff is my default setting at all ("I'm a Soul man.."!!) but the execution in arrangements, production, surround mix engineering and the final mastering of Dutton Vocalion on these three new discs for June is exemplary.

basically you're getting 5 new Quad albums across 3 discs for £30-odd quid plus shipping.
oh and the liner notes even are a step up from before (these are by Oliver Lomax) with snippets from a more recent interview with Ray Davies etc. great stuff.

honestly, i don't know how this label does it. the quality, for the money, is so high. i hope they keep on doing what they're doing and branch out because some of my beloved Philly Soul Quads in these guys' hands or some of the more popular Rock & Pop Quad titles many here want could be killer if released on Surround SACD by Dutton Vocalion, i would say. roll on Summer! or Christmas! or whenever the next batch is coming along!

AGREE with you, ADAM, on ALL points: How Do They Do It? Without ANY fanfare, they just keep releasing these discs...unlike the American reissue companies which take forever and a day even to reissue STEREO SACDs.

I do hope they fulfill ALL our wishes over at QQ and release a few more POP/ROCK TITLES [unless their brief foray resulted in poor sales: namely, The Main Ingredient and Tower of Power SACDs].

Whatever their formula, I can assure everyone that their quality control is fabulous and they're almost singlehandedly keeping the QUAD format alive.

And lest we forget, when we ALL get OLD and GREY, maybe we'll find ourselves pulling out those Dutton Vocalion Easy Listening Quads to elevate those "Golden Years."

Yes, Adam, unless we're successful in finding that elusive Fountain of Youth........we're all going to succumb!:yikes

AGREE with you, ADAM, on ALL points: How Do They Do It? Without ANY fanfare, they just keep releasing these discs...unlike the American reissue companies which take forever and a day even to reissue STEREO SACDs.

I do hope they fulfill ALL our wishes over at QQ and release a few more POP/ROCK TITLES [unless their brief foray resulted in poor sales: namely, The Main Ingredient and Tower of Power SACDs].

Whatever their formula, I can assure everyone that their quality control is fabulous and they're almost singlehandedly keeping the QUAD format alive.

And lest we forget, when we ALL get OLD and GREY, maybe we'll find ourselves pulling out those Dutton Vocalion Easy Listening Quads to elevate those "Golden Years."

Yes, Adam, unless we're successful in finding that elusive Fountain of Youth........we're all going to succumb!:yikes

well I guess some might say because Paul Mauriat is not Loggins & Messina or something.. and so its implied it is easier to license the easy listening than the rock & pop, maybe?

I have absolutely no idea but perhaps its not as clear cut as that.
these new DV SACDs represent the first time (I think?) UME has deigned to license out its Quad material to any other label.. which in itself is quite something, I would say and may not have been easy. It may have been a doddle just nobody tried before, who knows!?

still, let's face it no other label has licensed and released Quad from labels now under Universal's control in all the years since Brad Miller & DTS licensed those Quads of BTO, Steve Miller, Ohio Players, Moody Blues, Clapton etc from Polygram Special Markets - and that was nigh on 20 years ago! Bravo DV! :banana:

well I guess some might say because Paul Mauriat is not Loggins & Messina or something.. and so its implied it is easier to license the easy listening than the rock & pop, maybe?

I have absolutely no idea but perhaps its not as clear cut as that.
these new DV SACDs represent the first time (I think?) UME has deigned to license out its Quad material to any other label.. which in itself is quite something, I would say and may not have been easy. It may have been a doddle just nobody tried before, who knows!?

still, let's face it no other label has licensed and released Quad from labels now under Universal's control in all the years since Brad Miller & DTS licensed those Quads of BTO, Steve Miller, Ohio Players, Moody Blues, Clapton etc from Polygram Special Markets - and that was nigh on 20 years ago! Bravo DV! :banana:

Adam, we have to give credit where credit is due: Pentatone has been instrumental in releasing a LOT of those Philips/DGG Classical QUAD tapes from the early 70's some of which were never even released on Vinyl. But regarding pop/jazz/rock....etc...you're right...except for Brad Miller and DTS Entertainment, Universal [UMG] has been downright stingy in letting those quad titles be remastered onto hi res physical discs.

IMO, don't know why UMG never re~released those QUAD DTS titles when they had the chance with their BD~A PURE AUDIO launch.....just one more reason that 'launch' failed rather miserably! NEVER hire a boy to do a Man's job:yikes

Robert owes half to Grenville
Who in turn gave half to Larry
Who adored my instrumentals
And so he gave half to a foreign publisher

By Ray Davies (The Kinks)

This is the only one that i have got

Davies Ray Screen Best On Dynamic Brass 4DX-48

This is the only one that i have got

Davies Ray Screen Best On Dynamic Brass 4DX-48

The Quad Incorporated Catalog shows 3 Ray Davies CD-4 albums released by Philips Japan:
  • Themes From The Exorcist & Other Great Films. Philips 4DX-35 (CD4) [Japan], Sung Eum Limited SEL-100 267B (CD4) [Korea]
  • 4 Channel Love Sounds De Luxe. Philips 4DX-23A (CD4) [Japan]
  • Screen Music Report on Dynamic Brass. Philips 4DX-48 (CD4) [Japan]

I just looked up my list and I have them all
I did not put Ray Davies in my list
But I have order all the releases from Vocalion

The Quad Incorporated Catalog shows 3 Ray Davies CD-4 albums released by Philips Japan:
  • Themes From The Exorcist & Other Great Films. Philips 4DX-35 (CD4) [Japan], Sung Eum Limited SEL-100 267B (CD4) [Korea]

I believe 'Screen Music Report On Dynamic Brass' is the Flashpoint album (from the Vocalion 2fer), and the '4 Channel Love Sounds Deluxe' album I don't think is a Ray Davies album at all, I think it's most likely a various artists compilation - at least based on the small image of it I could find.

4ch-love-sounds-deluxe-2-japan-cd-4-phillips-4dx-23-mint_6263187

The Ray Davies Surround Sound SACD from Vocalion arrived today.

I can confirm that it features 2 of the Ray Davies CD-4 albums released by Philips Japan:
  • Ray Davies & the Button Down Brass - Themes From The Exorcist & Other Great Films. Philips 4DX-35 (CD4) [Japan]
  • Ray Davies Orchestra - Flashpoint. Philips 4DX-48 (CD4) [Japan]

The Swingle Singers disc is truly remarkable.

I have now listened right through it three times.

It is one of the best discs (albums) that I have ever heard. Much of it is breathtakingly beautiful - the sopranos are gorgeous.

The highlights are tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9.

Material - 10
Sound - 10
Mix - 10

As a teen in the sixties, I was quite a fan of The Swingle Singers (and still love baroque and renaissance music and the uniquely wonderful light jazz swing, vocal arrangements the Swingles were famous for).

What a great review: "highlight tracks are 1-9" Love it :D

Placed my order a few minutes ago. Thanks again for the glowing review!

On the SACD disc,s Flashpoint Should have called (Screen Music Report on Dynamic Brass. Philips 4DX-48)

Korean 4DX-23A-4DX-35B 4 Channel Love Sounds Deluxe only Half are Ray Davies
His tracks are
Enter the Dragon
French Connection
Cops And Robbers
Theme Point Black
Night Must fall
Love Theme The Getaway

I have Themes From The Exorcist & Other Great Films. Philips 4DX-35 (CD4) [Japan]
And it has the 6 track above on side 2

And on side 1
Theme The Exorcist
Beyond Tomorrow
The Entertainer
The Magician
Klute
Theme From Bullitt

Back