Quad LP/Tape Poll Grand Funk: Shinin' On [Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Q8 of Grand Funk - Shinin' On

• 10 - Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 -

• 7 -

• 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Grand Funk's 1974 follow-up to their commercial breakthrough from the previous year, We're An American Band. Reaching #5 in the Billboard 200 album chart, it was slightly less successful than its predecessor's #2 peak, but the album did yield a #1 hit single in the band's cover of the Goffin/King tune The Loco-Motion (originally a hit for Little Eva in 1962) in addition to the title track which made it to #11.

grandfunk-shinin-on-q8-1.JPG

Capitol Q8W-11278 [Q8]
Discogs link: Q8
Wiki page for the album: Shinin' On

Side 1:
  1. Shinin' On
  2. To Get Back In
  3. The Loco-Motion
  4. Gettin' Over You

Side 2:
  1. Carry Me Through
  2. Please Me
  3. Mr. Pretty Boy
  4. Little Johnny Hooker

I can remember how disappointed i was when AF did the SACD treatment to the three GFRR that had quad mixes and did not include any. Shame on them.
First of all, i'm a big fan of that album for a lot of things so i am quite biased on that aspect, even if i can recognize it to be one step lower than WAAB on track strenght but a step above WAAB for the better integration of Craig Frost's keys.
The quad mix is better that WAAB and on par with ATGITWB - WAAB suffered by too much echo in the read and less discreteness than the other two - so it is active and engaging. Weirdest quad rotating pan of the Loco-Motion solo, which by itself is one of the weirdest solo ever, so it does fits.
Nice to have the cold intro and end for Carry Me Through. Miss the initial handclaps for Locomotion (why????)

So, what to say, considering it was also one of the q8 cart i did before a lot of others?
9 for the music
9 for the mix
8 for fidelity - can understand clearly why it was called "cRapitol". Let's be generous and round to final 9.

Back