HiRez Poll A Bad Think - THE SAVIOR [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of A Bad Think - THE SAVIOR

• 10: Terrific Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2019 release from A Bad Think called "The Savior".
The Blu-Ray disc contains a 5.1 surround mix of the album by Bob Clearmountain.
96-khz/24-bit lossless 5.1 FLAC files can be purchased at Immersive Audio Album.

(y):)(n)
Screen-Shot-2021-03-13-at-9.26.51-AM.jpg

Pre-release thread for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...baby-flac-download-b-clearmountain-mix.26950/

rings.jpg

Telltale bands of a burned BD-A R. I needed some light, so the inclusion of garbage and recycling bins across the alley was not intended as symbolism. Trying to write through a migraine; let me get some more thoughts down for those of you interested.

The comments in the initial post of this thread are a good description of the mix, and, as @sukothai notes, in a GOOD way. The mix is immersive, enveloping, encompassing, and it really fits the music, enhances the listening experience. Maybe the best way I can describe it with one full listen under my belt (and it's playing now as I type) is that Clearmountain has two distinct stereo mixes going on: one in the front and one in the rears and the vocals (and as noted, with drums or synths or . . .) firmly anchored in the center (and spread out across the front soundstage). Background vocals and lush synth swells and strings and percussion and guitars are mostly in the rears (though some interesting and effective surprises throughout). Bass, lead guitar, drums, synths. lead vox up front. And, as noted in @haikubass 's intial reddit grab, these elements are often panned to the sides, giving me that feeling that I am enveloped in the mix ("dispersed around you," as Marquart says). It is a very enjoyable and pleasing experience for me.

Content. Watch the two videos in the first post. "Falling Star" is more indicative of the whole album's feel. The visuals are great in both videos. The feeling of a personal journey of self-exploration, self-questioning, self-discovery on a mysterious river with a shadowy guide in order to find some hidden inner space where prophets speak through ancient texts (wow--Ima need to take some migraine meds soon!) is indicative of the feel of the whole album. Throughout, life/death, hope/despair, sin/redemption, love/loss, finite/infinite, flesh/spirit, blah/blech are juxtaposed. It's ultimately a hopeful and revelatory album, but a feeling of darkness pervades the whole. Again, really only one listen, but Marquart is reaching for something here: who or what is the savior; is it something that can be found within us, something we are only vaguely aware of, something that becomes more apparent and clear as we near the end of our mortal lives and approach infinity . . . which we've never really left? Okay, I'm really gonna need to take a few pills and go back to bed!

The album comprises 18 tracks, 17 of which are originals. The final track, Greg Lake's "C'est la Vie," is an apt cover and closer to the album. Oh, and the first video, "Feel Me" powerfully portrays that sense of confusion, loss, futility as one pursues Art, follows one's inner Muse. Are there too many distractions that keep us separated from Truth? C'est la vie! This shot of the disc might be a better metaphor for how it feels to me:

trees.jpg

Finally, to @fredblue 's point: yes, I would rather have a FLAC than play BD/CD/DVD R Roulette, but I am glad I have this physical copy to support A Bad Think. I'm not sure what the reality of the music biz is (economics and production and distribution); in my mind, it may be quite an expense to go the route of genuine BD-A, and artists may be forced to use R discs to get their product out. I'm glad such a powerful and thoughtful and current release as this is out in surround. Maybe if Marquart is reading this, he will send those of us who bought this disc a link to download FLACs of all tracks.

Okay, that wasn't really finally, was it? Long-winded, pedantic, recovering Engl-ish teachers! This is a double album (Book One and Book Two); as with many double albums, a shorter release would make it more powerful, but I'm always glad to have everything (number nine . . . number nine . . . number nine . . . )

rings.jpg

Telltale bands of a burned BD-A R. I needed some light, so the inclusion of garbage and recycling bins across the alley was not intended as symbolism. Trying to write through a migraine; let me get some more thoughts down for those of you interested.

The comments in the initial post of this thread are a good description of the mix, and, as @sukothai notes, in a GOOD way. The mix is immersive, enveloping, encompassing, and it really fits the music, enhances the listening experience. Maybe the best way I can describe it with one full listen under my belt (and it's playing now as I type) is that Clearmountain has two distinct stereo mixes going on: one in the front and one in the rears and the vocals (and as noted, with drums or synths or . . .) firmly anchored in the center (and spread out across the front soundstage). Background vocals and lush synth swells and strings and percussion and guitars are mostly in the rears (though some interesting and effective surprises throughout). Bass, lead guitar, drums, synths. lead vox up front. And, as noted in @haikubass 's intial reddit grab, these elements are often panned to the sides, giving me that feeling that I am enveloped in the mix ("dispersed around you," as Marquart says). It is a very enjoyable and pleasing experience for me.

Content. Watch the two videos in the first post. "Falling Star" is more indicative of the whole album's feel. The visuals are great in both videos. The feeling of a personal journey of self-exploration, self-questioning, self-discovery on a mysterious river with a shadowy guide in order to find some hidden inner space where prophets speak through ancient texts (wow--Ima need to take some migraine meds soon!) is indicative of the feel of the whole album. Throughout, life/death, hope/despair, sin/redemption, love/loss, finite/infinite, flesh/spirit, blah/blech are juxtaposed. It's ultimately a hopeful and revelatory album, but a feeling of darkness pervades the whole. Again, really only one listen, but Marquart is reaching for something here: who or what is the savior; is it something that can be found within us, something we are only vaguely aware of, something that becomes more apparent and clear as we near the end of our mortal lives and approach infinity . . . which we've never really left? Okay, I'm really gonna need to take a few pills and go back to bed!

The album comprises 18 tracks, 17 of which are originals. The final track, Greg Lake's "C'est la Vie," is an apt cover and closer to the album. Oh, and the first video, "Feel Me" powerfully portrays that sense of confusion, loss, futility as one pursues Art, follows one's inner Muse. Are there too many distractions that keep us separated from Truth? C'est la vie! This shot of the disc might be a better metaphor for how it feels to me:

trees.jpg

Finally, to @fredblue 's point: yes, I would rather have a FLAC than play BD/CD/DVD R Roulette, but I am glad I have this physical copy to support A Bad Think. I'm not sure what the reality of the music biz is (economics and production and distribution); in my mind, it may be quite an expense to go the route of genuine BD-A, and artists may be forced to use R discs to get their product out. I'm glad such a powerful and thoughtful and current release as this is out in surround. Maybe if Marquart is reading this, he will send those of us who bought this disc a link to download FLACs of all tracks.

Okay, that wasn't really finally, was it? Long-winded, pedantic, recovering Engl-ish teachers! This is a double album (Book One and Book Two); as with many double albums, a shorter release would make it more powerful, but I'm always glad to have everything (number nine . . . number nine . . . number nine . . . )
glad yours still plays ok! 😅🤞🥳🤗

Back