DVD/DTS Poll Van Der Graaf Generator - GODBLUFF [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Van Der Graaf Generator - GODBLUFF

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2021 reissue of the classic Van Der Graaf Generator album "Godbluff".
The album has been remixed in 5.1 surround by @Stephen W Tayler.

(y) :) (n)

51b1Xl4tz9L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

81O2Bk5B21L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I was not sure how this one would turn out as it is somewhat a "live in the studio" style recording. When I heard the extra sax "honks" on the 2ch version of Arrow posted on Youtube I was initially a little wary - I thought it sounded out of place. When I heard it in 5.1 it made perfect sense and I'd like to think if 5.1 was an option in '75 for the band it may well have been released that way.

All these VdGG discs get solid 10 from me...5 for even existing and 5 for being done right by someone that clearly loves the music and wanted to do it proper 5.1 justice.

I was not sure how this one would turn out as it is somewhat a "live in the studio" style recording. When I heard the extra sax "honks" on the 2ch version of Arrow posted on Youtube I was initially a little wary - I thought it sounded out of place. When I heard it in 5.1 it made perfect sense and I'd like to think if 5.1 was an option in '75 for the band it may well have been released that way.

All these VdGG discs get solid 10 from me...5 for even existing and 5 for being done right by someone that clearly loves the music and wanted to do it proper 5.1 justice.

Hi doppelbock . Will you be voting your ten up top? There are two nines at present. I've yet to vote. :)

All of these are spectacular. A healthy dose of music in the rear channels. Of all the VDGG surround releases, I think this one is the most accessible. Plenty of theatrics and drama from the vocal stylings as usual, but the music itself doesn't really venture deep into weirdo land. So if you're looking for a starting point, this is probably as good as any, with Pawn Hearts being the other end of the spectrum. This mix isn't all that adventurous, but that owes in large part to the music being more sane too I think. I love all of these mixes because they immerse me completely, which is how it's supposed to be. Another 10 from me.

Back