HiRez Poll McKennitt, Loreena - THE VISIT [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Loreena McKennitt - THE VISIT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2021 reissue of the album "The Visit" by Loreena McKennitt.
The Blu-ray Disc contains both a 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos mix of the album.

The Dolby Atmos mix is also available to stream on Apple Music:
https://music.apple.com/us/album/the-visit/1448535597
(y) :) (n)

61a7kVgtQwL._SL1200_.jpg

71dpWARolqL._SL1500_.jpg

811MBAjUj4L._SL1500_.jpg

My copy arrived yesterday, my first couple of listens have been enjoyable. For those unfamiliar with LM, this 1991ish album was kind of a breakthrough where her celtic folk flavor got some added world music and synth pad spices added. Her singing ranges from a breathy intimate hush to a keening soprano wail; her primary instrument is harp, but the production is often awash in reverb in pursuit of an atmosphere of magical timeless wonder, and her harp is often woven into the tapestry more than featured. New age isn't an unfair label to apply, but her music is more often fey than twee, and her self-penned lyrics don't suffer too much in comparison to the Shakespeare and Wordsworth poems she sets to music. The 'world' strings, pipes, percussion, and accordion sounds weave in and out hypnotically while her voice casts its spell.

On my 5.1 setup listening to the 5.1 DTS-HD MA 48/24 mix I wasn't sure how much discrete stuff I was hearing in the rear speakers, partly because the mix is so reverb heavy there seems to be bits of everything in every speaker. Today I have it cranked more and am playing the Atmos mix through my 5.1 system- hearing more elements distinctly in the back this time but I'm not sure if that's the different mix, more volume, or both. There've been a couple bits where the subwoofer gets some serious exercise, one at 4:20 in track 1, and the mix(es) seem uniformly excellent. I may need to take a break to avoid an overdose of breathless wonder, but otherwise no buyer's regret. FYI, the book errs in saying that the stereo mix is 192/24, the screen info correctly reports it as 96/24.

Last carp- why does the display a use micro-font for the current song title and show it in invisible orange against a brown background? Everything I already know, artist and album title, is in large clear all-caps lettering while track choice is a tiny 3x3 numeric grid above which only the current song title displays, lost against the background color. There's plenty of room to show all nine songs, instead I have to sit in the sweet spot with binoculars to tell what's going on. It's kind of the norm with Blu-Ray audio, so I guess I just need a larger screen. Rant out.

My copy arrived from Importcds a couple of days ago and I've been listening to the various mixes extensively. I have to say that beyond the lush production and excellent sound fidelity of the recording, the new Atmos mix is one of the most immersive I've heard. On my 7.4.2 speaker setup, the Atmos mix places the listener squarely in the center of a gorgeous hemisphere of sound. Vocals are predominantly front and center, but extensive echoing and reverb bleed into the surround and overheads. Instrumentation such as harp, violin/fiddle, percussion and stringed instruments can appear anywhere in the soundfield, with various drones (tamboura, synths, etc.) often washing through the surrounds and overheads. Bass is very deep and convincing, particularly if you have good subs. Even though you can clearly hear individual instruments coming from individual speakers if you listen for it, the mix is so well balanced that everything contributes to the overall soundfield in a unified way. I've sampled the Atmos mix just with individual speaker sets engaged (heights, side surrounds, center, etc.) and can say that all of these are continuously and often aggressively engaged throughout the album. Also, you can really crank the volume without a hint of harshness or brittleness in the high end, something that the original CD suffered from.

The 5.1 mix, with and without upsampling into the 7.4.2 setup, is a step up over the stereo mix but to me sounds nowhere near as impactful or engaging as the Atmos. Not only are the overheads either missing or simply ambient, but in the horizontal plane the aggressive differential use of both side and rear surrounds in the Atmos mix provides a much more convincing 360 degree soundfield.

Somewhat surprising to me was the included binaural headphone mix of the album. Although I've heard about binaural recordings I never had the opportunity to listen to one before. In comparing the flat stereo mix to the binaural mix on Bose noise canceling headphones it was obvious that the binaural mix has far more depth, space and clearer instrument placement across a wider soundstage. If using headphones is part of your music listening activity, the binaural mix is certainly a welcome addition.

The package itself is a very attractive book set, similar to the Marillion and Jethro Tull formats except that the discs are housed in thin cardboard page sleeves - something I typically don't care for but the sleeves are loose enough that the discs can be extracted and replaced easily. I wasn't sure what to expect from this release, but I can now say that I'm very pleasantly surprised. I'm giving the Atmos mix an enthusiastic 10 (now my preferred way of experiencing he album), the 5.1 mix an 8, and thumbs up on the binaural mix as well. The included live material is well recorded in stereo and worth a listen. Should they decide to follow up with similar editions of The Mask And The Mirror and The Book Of Secrets, I will certainly purchase them. Anyone who likes well recorded Celtic flavored World music will not be disappointed, but keep in mind this is pretty far from rock.

I love how this sounds overall. The ATMOS mix is lush and McKennitt's voice shines. I have no complaints at all about the fidelity. The ATMOS mix has a blend of reverb and discrete elements in the surrounds and is generally immersive. I will say that I found the use of the surrounds a touch inconsistent from track to track, but I'm having to work hard to find anything to complain about here (other than MAYBE the price). If you like this sort of Celtic/Folk Rock blend, this is a wonderful rerelease. A 9 for me.

I´m really happy that i read here or on one of the quad forums that are on facebook that this has been released. Otherwise i would never have found out as it is not advertised anywhere here. Luckily the swedish Amazon site have it and it was delivered for free right away. I am not familiar with Loreenas music but i really like Irish music and it is fantastic to disvover this music like this with good surround. Now i have to find out if i prefer the Atmos or the 5.1 mix. Both sounds fine after an quick listening so hopefully i will be enjoying them both. I gave an 9 on this and i can imagine that i might go up to 10 someday

Superb Atmos mix!!! The music is made for this type of presentation, the fit is perfect. As others have noted, in the booklet Loreena writes about her love for being immersed in the music by having speakers placed to the left and right of her on stage. Great to see it all come together here; an artist who really values this type of mixing and a very, very skillful mixing engineer, Jeff Wolpert. Thanks you so much, both :D I'm voting 10. Highly recommended!

They could have called this album "The Voice" because that is what it's all about IMO...her voice. Incomparable to anything else in my collection. Beautiful to listen to. I get a real sense of deprivation with the 2 tracks that she doesn't sing on. Well technically she does sing on one of them but it's just "da de da" the whole way through which leaves me wanting. If you enjoy listening to female vocalists you are going to love this disc.

There was initially talk of releasing more of her classic albums in deluxe editions like this, but it's been a couple of years and no news. The Book Of Secrets and The Mask And The Mirror would be instant buys for me, but really any of her recordings would be great in Atmos/surround due to the always excellent production and sound quality. I hope The Visit sold well enough to continue the series.

Back